PDA

View Full Version : Virus Scan and removal for MAC computer?

Mark Ducati
07-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Is there a comparable virus remover on the net for MAC computers? Seems like most are for windows...

I got a pop up last night on my MAC for the first time, it identified some kind of "WIN32" something or other, but I don't have windows on the MAC so I just closed it and ignored it.

I'm still learning my way around a MAC, its like you know spanish, now you need to learn the new dialect of portugese...

Krupski
07-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Is there a comparable virus remover on the net for MAC computers? Seems like most are for windows...

I got a pop up last night on my MAC for the first time, it identified some kind of "WIN32" something or other, but I don't have windows on the MAC so I just closed it and ignored it.

I'm still learning my way around a MAC, its like you know spanish, now you need to learn the new dialect of portugese...

My mother in law has a Mac and a while back she called me in a panic. She was on a website and a window popped up telling her she had some kind of a WIN32 virus and "click here" to scan for more viruses.

Thankfully, she was smart enough not to click on anything.

What those crooks do is pop up a window saying you have a virus, then if you click "scan" they flash a few filenames on the screen to make it look like it's working, then they tell you that you have a whole bunch of viruses and "for only $29.95 you can download their software to remove them".

Since most people use Windows, they are easily duped into thinking that they really do have a virus.

But, a "WIN32" virus on a Mac???:laughingtohard:

You would think at least the people who made the scam page would check the browser user agent string and not send it to Mac machines!

cciota
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I thought that was the big selling point for Mac's. Not being susceptable to viruses.

Krupski
07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I thought that was the big selling point for Mac's. Not being susceptable to viruses.

A Mac can get a virus just like any other computer. What "protects" a Mac is the fact that most people use Windows and, therefore, most viruses are written for Windows.

cciota
07-21-2010, 10:38 AM
A Mac can get a virus just like any other computer. What "protects" a Mac is the fact that most people use Windows and, therefore, most viruses are written for Windows.

You learn something new every day! Thanks.

nfa1934
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I put Norton for Mac on my Mac Mini because I'm uncomfortable doing anything financial on a computer without virus/spyware protection, even if it is a Mac. The result is that my Mac is now horribly sluggish. I wonder how much of Apple's responsiveness and stability come from people typically not adding a ton of bloatware.

JTHunter
07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
I put Norton for Mac on my Mac Mini because I'm uncomfortable doing anything financial on a computer without virus/spyware protection, even if it is a Mac. The result is that my Mac is now horribly sluggish. I wonder how much of Apple's responsiveness and stability come from people typically not adding a ton of bloatware.

Norton and McAfee both are known for being "resource hogs". Try a free antivirus like AVG or Avast. Just do a search for "free antivirus for Macs" on either Yahoo or Google.

sevlex
07-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Read this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201651/security_firm_apple_has_more_security_holes_than_m icrosoft.html?tk=hp_new

:darncomputer:

gunsnetadmin
07-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Some of the best AV software is free.. This one is popular with Unix/Linux also.

http://www.clamxav.com/