PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool Tactical Light video.

swampdragon
11-09-2010, 11:12 PM
This was pretty good.
Nothing fancy, but I'm still seeing spots and it was on the computer!
LOL.

I have lights on all my guns.
Many hate them.
Many love them.
But either way, they require discipline.

The video is pretty good though to show their effect on the receiving end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNpydwj5Ig&feature=related

Bluedog
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice demonstration. I use lights for defensive weapons, but then I took the time to learn how. In my opinion, the big mistake everyone is making now is going too bright.

I had a teachable moment a few weeks ago when my dog jumped up in the middle of the night and bolted downstairs --something she never had done before. I grabbed my M4 and headed down after her. I strobed the stairwell, and ended up with a retinal burn image of the stairs for the next few minutes. I was using a TLR-1, the non-cree 105 lumen older version. I love this tiny light, but it's too bright. I can only imagine how blind the mall ninjas at arfcom will be if they ever activate their 270 lumen Markov converted G2s in the middle of the night.

I have a 100 lumen Pentagonlight that is much much brighter, despite the lower rating. I am going to try my G2L for awhile, but my preference is to use an 80 lumen Rayovac (seriously) AA light that I found for $21. Problem is, I can't fine a mount. I really like this light. It's as bright as the G2L, and has as good of a beam, plus my Eotech uses AA batteries. It also has a twist on/ push-for-momentary switch, just like sure-fire and the Pentagonlight.

cevulirn
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
As an owner of several flashlights, I agree that there is such a thing as too bright for indoor use. Unless your in the unfortunate position of having to go from daylight adjusted eyes to darkness, 200+ lumens will really mess with your vision just bouncing off a light colored wall. Then again, if being used outdoors, more is better! Also, IMHO, that strobe is way too slow to really be disorenting. I know its just a video, but I found it easy to track the light, and at most ranges I'd encounter inside I don't need sights.

And what kind of idiot puts a Malkoff in a G2? Without a metal body for heatsinking, even a Malkoff will overheat the LED pretty damn quick.

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Nice demonstration. I use lights for defensive weapons, but then I took the time to learn how. In my opinion, the big mistake everyone is making now is going too bright.

I had a teachable moment a few weeks ago when my dog jumped up in the middle of the night and bolted downstairs --something she never had done before. I grabbed my M4 and headed down after her. I strobed the stairwell, and ended up with a retinal burn image of the stairs for the next few minutes. I was using a TLR-1, the non-cree 105 lumen older version. I love this tiny light, but it's too bright. I can only imagine how blind the mall ninjas at arfcom will be if they ever activate their 270 lumen Markov converted G2s in the middle of the night.

I have a 100 lumen Pentagonlight that is much much brighter, despite the lower rating. I am going to try my G2L for awhile, but my preference is to use an 80 lumen Rayovac (seriously) AA light that I found for $21. Problem is, I can't fine a mount. I really like this light. It's as bright as the G2L, and has as good of a beam, plus my Eotech uses AA batteries. It also has a twist on/ push-for-momentary switch, just like sure-fire and the Pentagonlight.

I really like Streamlight a lot!
They are half the price of SureFire but work just great.
Like you, I have an older one.
It's the TLR-2 with red laser (older "non-LED" version) on my AK.
Same idea as your M4.

I noticed Streamlight makes red, blue, green and IR filters for them too.
Maybe this would help with the "too" bright problem you are having?

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Swampy, do you ever 'acidently' flash your TLR by bumping the rocker switch? It's been a real problem for me. I have it mounted at 3:00 (from the rear) as far forward as I can mount it. I bump it quite a bit. One more reason to bin it, I'm afreaid.

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
As an owner of several flashlights, I agree that there is such a thing as too bright for indoor use. Unless your in the unfortunate position of having to go from daylight adjusted eyes to darkness, 200+ lumens will really mess with your vision just bouncing off a light colored wall. Then again, if being used outdoors, more is better! Also, IMHO, that strobe is way too slow to really be disorenting. I know its just a video, but I found it easy to track the light, and at most ranges I'd encounter inside I don't need sights.

And what kind of idiot puts a Malkoff in a G2? Without a metal body for heatsinking, even a Malkoff will overheat the LED pretty damn quick.

I also have a Viridian X5L on my HK USP45.
I just about killed myself with it.
LOL.........

I was just testing it out one night.
I turned on the strobe in the house, disoriented "MYSELF", tripped over the dog, fell on my ass, and just missed the corner of the coffee table with my head by only an inch or so.
:lool:

The thing is really cool however, but I decided to turn off the strobe feature after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3QCZHQETxc&feature=pyv&ad=4440943543&kw=viridian%20laser&gclid=CK2L78jAlaUCFcgK2godYhFMsw

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Swampy, do you ever 'acidently' flash your TLR by bumping the rocker switch? It's been a real problem for me. I have it mounted at 3:00 (from the rear) as far forward as I can mount it. I bump it quite a bit. One more reason to bin it, I'm afreaid.

Mine is mounted @ 6:00 so the laser stays in-line with the bore.
At first, yes, I accidentlly bumped it now and then.
But when I placed rail bumpers @ 3:00 and 9:00, the problem went away.
(I have the UltiMak Tri-Rail on my AK....Love it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/ffcfb992.gif

I did notice the very same potential problem however with the SureFire.
It's one of the paddle switch down-sides I guess.

matshock
11-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Red filters cut about 3/4 of the intensity. Blue about 2/3. Have your cake and eat it too.

My Markov/P6 can illuminate 50 yards easily- sometimes more depending on ambient and what you're pointing it at.

Slap down the red filter and it's an indoor light.

I do have mixed feelings on the strobe lights- yeah it severely screws with your target but then you have to aim at a moving target in a strobe light.

matshock
11-10-2010, 01:58 AM
I also have a Viridian X5L on my HK USP45.
I just about killed myself with it.
LOL.........

I was just testing it out one night.
I turned on the strobe in the house, disoriented "MYSELF", tripped over the dog, fell on my ass, and just missed the corner of the coffee table with my head by only an inch or so.
:lool:

The thing is really cool however, but I decided to turn off the strobe feature after that.

Just read that- yeah definitely not missing the strobe feature now.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Those hand stops are just what I need. Provided they are not $65-$70 like the ones that have come out before. I was planning to get a buttler creek flip cap to cover the light on the TLR, but I think I'll look at a filter.

G2s don't melt with the conversion because they use the metal bazel. My G2L came stock with a metal bazel.

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Those hand stops are just what I need. Provided they are not $65-$70 like the ones that have come out before. I was planning to get a buttler creek flip cap to cover the light on the TLR, but I think I'll look at a filter.

G2s don't melt with the conversion because they use the metal bazel. My G2L came stock with a metal bazel.

Those rail stops are only $5 for a 2-pack.
They work great.

I did a search for Streamlight filters.
I used part number #69115 for red filters.
Apparently there are 2 different version with the same part number?
I dunno?
May have to call or e-mail to be sure what you are getting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/ab47036b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/91c889bb.jpg