PDA

View Full Version : 556 suppressor help

Solidus-snake
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, just thinking about gettin mes a suppressor for my AR.

Whats a good quality, lower priced suppressor?

Already got a cl3 dealer on mind.

circuits
11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
You'll probably want to go read reviews and feedback on a dedicated silencer site like silencertests.com.

I personally use an AM "Warrior", which has decent suppression, and titanium innards for full auto use. They used to be inexpensive ($475), but I don't think they're even being made any longer.

Mark Ducati
11-10-2010, 08:25 PM
There's a lot of good suppressors out there on the market...

Gem-Tech is probably the Cadillac of .223/5.56 suppressors out there...

A gentleman named Joe Gadinni was the orginal engineer/designer of these suppressors for Gem-Tech. From such a can, you can expect a 32+ decible reduction in sound.

I have a Gem-Tech M496D suppress that I bought in 2001 and it works spectacularly well.

Joe Gadinni started his own business called SWR... His suppressor designs are the same as Gem-Tech's, just with a different label... the benefit is, you're getting a Gem-Tech quality suppressor for a lot less money!!!

Joe sold SWR about 4-5 years ago to some guy named Howard... I've purchased a 9mm Trident 9 suppressor from Howard, had some issues trying to get it to cycle on my Glock (not the suppressor's fault, Glocks dont cycle suppressors well, but Beretta does :) ).... anyway, Howard is equally committed to customer service for SWR as Joe was, so I cannot give a higher recommendation for SWR.

SWR would be my vote. They're located in Evans, Georgia.

http://www.swrmfg.com/

Solidus-snake
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
From what ive been shown, am i safe in assuming that ill not get a quality supp for under 600?

circuits
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
It's hard to get any centerfire-rated suppressor for under $600, much less a really good one.

There is a small market in used suppressors; small because the $200 transfer tax means a used seller has to sell it for about half new cost or less to generate any interest in buying a used one over a new one. If you can find someone strapped for cash, or getting out of the suppressor game, or who sold the rifle/caliber it goes with without selling the suppressor itself, you might find a good enough deal on a used one to interest you.

In addition to reading reviews to determine what's out there and what you like, once you know what you'd like you should post some WTB ads to see if anyone's looking to get rid of one for a lot less than the price of a new one.

As for other brands, I can agree with Mark's SWR recommendation, and I've also used and been happy with offerings from YHM, AAC, AWC, SureFire and Gemtech.

My best suppressor score, BTW, was a used .22 suppressor for $50. Since I'm a SOT, and it was coming from another SOT who was selling off his demos, I'm only into it for $50 plus a few bucks for shipping, as it came to me tax-free on Form 3. I "demo" it regularly on my dedicated .22 upper... :biggrin:

AKTexas
11-12-2010, 02:48 PM
What is the word on YHM suppressors?

nfa1934
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
What is the word on YHM suppressors?

I have a 7.62 YHM Phantom. The thing I like best is the ability to use it on either my 7.62 DPMS or on my 5.56 rifles with their quick-disconnect flash hiders. The more expensive cans are probably quieter, but it suits my purposes fine (able to shoot without hearing protection).

Also have a YHM .45 Cobra. Again, not as quiet as a Tirant or Osprey, but suits me fine.

Partisan1983
12-30-2010, 04:15 AM
I have nothing against any of the members who have already posted.......

AAC is the best suppressor manufacture to date, followed by YHM.

As for Gem-tech.......let's put it this way........do you think what Olympic Arms did to the importation of Chicom 7.62x39 was bad ?

Good 'ole GTec was worse when it comes to the NFA community......

ready
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Hahaha...don't ask a question you don't want the answer to. Words to live by.