PDA

View Full Version : Sight problem - need advice

JTHunter
11-11-2010, 01:17 AM
In the hope that somebody has some ideas on how to correct this problem, here is my problem.

I have a .177 pellet gun (not BB) that is a single sidecock, not a break barrel. The rear sight is only adjustable for elevation and I'm OK there. The problem is that the rifle is hitting the target about 2-3" to the right of the point of aim at 50 ft. The front sight is hooded & adjustable, the post screws up & down, and there is a horizontal pin about 3/16" dia. under the sight. That pin has about the same amount showing on both sides of the sight and I have been reluctant to try and drift the pin, but it might be necessary.
What I DON'T know is which direction to tap this pin and, do I lay the gun on its side, clamp the barrel in a padded vice, etc.

ALL SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!

old Grump
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Chase the hole with the front sight, run away from the hole with the rear sight. In this case you are shooting to the right so you need to move your front sight to the right.

I use a block of wood with a small piece of leather laid on it. Lay the gun on the right side with the muzzle on the block and something under the stock to keep it level. A little tack hammer and a brass punch, centerpunch if you don't have one but brass is better for not marking the sight. Tap and shoot, tap and shoot. Don't get in a hurry or get frustrated and whack it to hard or you will have to reverse the gun and go the other way. Don't ask.

JTHunter
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks OG. Good to see you here. Still having that computer trouble?

old Grump
11-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Nope, bug is gone and main computer is getting reformatted but back up computer is hooked in and working good till I get it back. Are you sighted in now?

JTHunter
11-13-2010, 11:42 PM
With this cold front moving through, it has been way too windy to try. It may have to wait for spring. Mom's b/d was Tuesday. :pileon: