PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

NewbieAKguy
07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Last week a census worker stopped by the house. My wife didn't answer the door, so the guy left a sheet giving his name and cell number. Well since then he's been calling once or twice a day since then, but never leaves a message saying what he wants. Just got an email today from buddy from PD I used to work for saying the census guy called them and asked for a number for me. Buddy told him to pound sand, but would let me know about the guy and cell number. Supposedly the guy needs my wife's birth date for something.

I admit I only filled out how many people live in my house: 2. Other than that, no other info is needed; so says the COTUS.

So, what would you guys do: 1. call back and say WTF? 2. Keep ignoring him and see if a "stern" letter comes my way with veiled threats? 3. Call back, while staying polite, and inform dude that I won't give any more info?

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd call him and tell him he's got everything that you're willing to provide. He doesn't need anything more than number of residnets and how long you've lived there. Period. Tell him you're one of those "Constitutionalists" and refuse anymore information. That's what I did - face to face with the third one that showed up. I was nice about it.

That is, if his calling is bothering you. Otherwise, let him waste his time!

Kadmos
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
the max fine for not responding is $100, max fine for providing false info is $500.

If they are determined, they will get the info either way.

While I understand your point in all this, the law does actually require answering the questions. While the constitution only essentially calls for a "head count", the "necessary and proper" clause of the constitution gives congress the power to add to that.

In the end all you are really going to do is annoy some little office worker and waste his time, your own, and more government money by attempting to evade the questions.

cciota
07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
I filled out my original form with the number in the residence as two and ethnicity as "American" and sent it back. A few weeks ago, I got home from work and there was on of those note on the door from the Census stating they had been by and had some questions. I threw it in the trash. The next day I worked half day, went in the house and let the dogs out. No sooner then I get back in the house, there's a knock at the front door. The Census guy. My dogs are a handful when the doorbell rings so I went out to talk to him through the garage. Ther sits a fairly new Mercedes and the older gentlemen come around the corner. My fist comment to him is " I never thought I woukd see a Census worker driving a Mercedes. The taxpayers are getting their money's worth." His comment was that it was an older Mercedes and that, he didn't know why but he was sent out again for information.

I told him that my wife and I lived here, our ages and that were were "Americans". He filled in the "Caucasian" box and then asked for my phone number. I informed his that he was getting that from me and he pretty got all the info he was going to get. He said that was fine, got in his car and drove away. I haven't heard from anyone since.

Mark Ducati
07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
They came by my house 3 times already... my wife told them that she wouldn't answer any of their questions without me and that they would have to come back and speak with the man of the house.... ME!

I have a typed list of questions that I got from this guy that I want to ask:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

When they can't answer them, then I'll politely decline until they can answer mine... so far, they haven't been back, but I'm waiting.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
In the interest of not drawing undo attention to myself I simply filled out the forms and mailed it in, I haven't heard a peep out of them since. I'm not sure if in this climate it makes sense to have federal employees curious about you if you can so easily avoid it, especially since the payoff seems to be nil.

Goodman
07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Tell 'em you've just moved into the home, you filled out the full form at your previous address and you don't know anything about the previous residents at your present address.

AKTexas
07-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah they are some sneaky bastards.Instead of waiting on us to come home they went next door and asked my GF's aunt,she told them two adults two kids.That is all she told them no word since.

mriddick
07-21-2010, 01:34 PM
The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

How do you read the Constitution when it says
in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.... If you don't like the census questions make sure those who believe as you do are making the laws because Constitutionally I don't think you have a leg to stand telling Congress it doesn't have the power to have the census taken in the manner they wish.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Someone stopped by my house when I wasn't there and left a note.

I called them back that evening.

Lady on the other line asked me lots of questions.

Do I rent or own?

Do I have any dependents?

My median income?

Am I a man or a woman?

...and that's about it.

They didn't ask for anything more than basic statistical information. We didn't talk about guns or political movements, she didn't ask about either. She was very nice. Nobody has kicked down my door at 4am.

You guys are making this way worse than it really is.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Do I rent or own?

My median income?

Am I a man or a woman?

...and that's about it.

They didn't ask for anything more than basic statistical information. We didn't talk about guns or political movements, she didn't ask about either. She was very nice. Nobody has kicked down my door at 4am.

Yeah, but what the hey. :)

Mark Ducati
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey, if I can legally stick it to "the man", I'll mess with them within my rights EVERY time.... and like Jefferson said, "what the hey"... living up here in the sticks, I've got nothing better to do anyways.

mriddick
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
If you can afford to pay the fine so be it, it's just a form of civil disobedience. Just don't fool yourself into believing you enjoy anything close to a majority of popular support for your position.

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Do I rent or own?

My median income?

Am I a man or a woman?

...and that's about it.

Thank you for your opinion comrade.

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 06:00 PM
If you can afford to pay the fine so be it, it's just a form of civil disobedience. Just don't fool yourself into believing you enjoy anything close to a majority of popular support for your position.

And I care about "popular support" why?

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you for your opinion comrade.

Well if you're really so paranoid that you won't tell them weather you live by yourself or not, then nosy census workers are just the beggining of you problems...

mriddick
07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
To not purposely answer the census as an act of civil disobediance means you are hoping to sway public opinion to your side. Civil disobediance at it's very heart is about popular support.

NewbieAKguy
07-21-2010, 10:33 PM
My main beef is that I told them how many live in my house, which is needed to see if more Reps are needed for my district....they're not. As far as info for statistics, they can't just run a quick check on my name? I have a DL, been fingerprinted and complete background checks for two different jobs. As far as the fines, I'm not lying about what I put down and this isn't affirmative action so why need all the other info? And the Necessary and Proper clause that was mentioned, it's been just as twisted as other parts of the COTUS. I think I'm more pissed cuz the dude doesn't leave a message saying what info he wants.

Interesting video Mark, and it brings up many good points.

L1A1Rocker
07-21-2010, 11:23 PM
It's odd that I have not had a follow up. I mailed back the form and told them that there were two adults living here and listed myself as "american". I did not fill out my wife's info, just left it blank (technicly she is "Scottish and not american as she is a Scottish citizen - still) For phone number I put "unlisted". Several weeks later I came home (I'm in an apartment) and saw lots of door hangers from the censes left on neibors doors for not have complete senses forms. I haven't got squat.

I know we have a census worker living in the complex (she has that damn "census worker" sign in the back window of her car) and I've just been itching for her to come herrass me about not filling out my form completely. See, there is a section in the apartment contract about herassing other complex members being grounds for evection and I'm just waiting . . .

NewbieAKguy
07-21-2010, 11:27 PM
It's odd that I have not had a follow up. I mailed back the form and told them that there were two adults living here and listed myself as "american". I did not fill out my wife's info, just left it blank (technicly she is "Scottish and not american as she is a Scottish citizen - still) For phone number I put "unlisted". Several weeks later I came home (I'm in an apartment) and saw lots of door hangers from the censes left on neibors doors for not have complete senses forms. I haven't got squat.

I know we have a census worker living in the complex (she has that damn "census worker" sign in the back window of her car) and I've just been itching for her to come herrass me about not filling out my form completely. See, there is a section in the apartment contract about herassing other complex members being grounds for evection and I'm just waiting . . .

I hear ya, my wife is Canadian citizen still. She plans on having dual citizenship. I'm cynical enough to wonder if the feds will screw with her papers/status to prove a point over this. I'll prob call the guy tomorrow.