PDA

View Full Version : OK, getting a Norinco 320 (Uzi clone) - school me on SBR

O.S.O.K.
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
If there's something already stickied, etc. please steer me there. Tried a search to no avail...

Otherwise, if somebody would give me the ABC's of getting this SBR'd, I'd appreciate it.

I'm getting this from Smittylite and it includes "everything needed to SBR" the gun. I assume that once I have the stamp, I can cut the barrel down myself?

Maybe a sticky of the process would be in order? I am sure people are going to be asking this over and over.... :)

So - what's involved, what's it cost, do you have to follow 922r (or whatever its called now) if you SBR?

TIA

O.S.O.K.
11-12-2010, 05:23 PM
OK - saw a thread below and Lysander posted this: http://thekalashniblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/nfa-odyssey-part-1-its-all-about.html

I was aware of using an LLC or trust... $200 more... damit. Also saw the ATF forms link but of course, there's nothing listed a SBR form...

Does this have to be so fricking complicated?

The C&R wasn't that bad....

Maybe I'll just replace enough parts to be able to use the folding stock and be done with it...

AKTexas
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM
You might consider this if you do not SBR.

http://www.alumaliteusa.com/servlet/the-UZI-%26-MAC/Categories

MJ1
11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Just go through a titled dealer he will have all the paper work. That is what my boy did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/50736f4a.jpg

AKTexas
11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Just go through a titled dealer he will have all the paper work. That is what my boy did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/50736f4a.jpg

10mm?

circuits
11-12-2010, 08:18 PM
So - what's involved, what's it cost, do you have to follow 922r (or whatever its called now) if you SBR?

First off, ATF has been on-again, off-again with the 922r issues. Currently, you don't have to follow 922r once it's been made into an SBR, but ATF may change their mind again, and the letters they write on the subject are only truly applicable to the person and firearm to which they addressed it.

The process:
Get or download, print out and fill out TWO Forms 1 (aka ATF Form 5320.1) (Application to make and register a firearm). If printing them, they MUST be printed double-sided, and may not be submitted as two one-sided sheets each.

Download, print out and fill out Form 5330.20 (Certificate of compliance). Again, must be double-sided, not two one-sided sheets.
The description of the firearm must include the SBR configuration into which you will build it, and ONE caliber in which you will initially build it. You can change stuff out later if your platform allows it, but ATF demands a description of the length/caliber as you're actually going to first build it. You, as the "maker" MUST engrave the firearm with your name, city, state, but you can re-use the serial number. The original maker's name, city, state have now become "additional description", as you are the manufacturer of this new NFA firearm.

If going trust/llc/corp route, include copy of articles of incorporation/trust, schedule A

If going personal route, finger print cards (2x) and passport photos (2x); affix one each pic to the Forms 1. Must have original signature on each of the two F1, then drop those off to your CLEO for their original signatures on each F1.

Mail it all off to the address on the Form 1's upper right corner, with a check for $200. You can use a money order or whatever if you want, but it won't go any faster, and the cancelled check will give you some intel on when it was processed into the system, at least.

Sit on your ass and wait between a month and a year (average lately seems to have been about 4 months).

One of the original Forms 1 will come back approved with a tax stamp affixed to it - make a copy/scan then stick the original in your safe or safety deposit box for safekeeping.

Engrave your receiver, if you didn't do so already.
Cut your barrel and install it.

Profit!!!

ubersoldate
11-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Ive fired that uzi of smittylites before, and man is that a sweet gun! Lucky man!

Lysander
11-12-2010, 09:07 PM
OK - saw a thread below and Lysander posted this: http://thekalashniblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/nfa-odyssey-part-1-its-all-about.html

I was aware of using an LLC or trust... $200 more... damit. Also saw the ATF forms link but of course, there's nothing listed a SBR form...

Does this have to be so fricking complicated?

The C&R wasn't that bad....

Maybe I'll just replace enough parts to be able to use the folding stock and be done with it...

Trust is cheaper if you use Quicken Willmaker and follow the instructions I listed. Shouldn't cost you more than $40 for the software.

Yes, 922r applies to SBRs, at least that's the most recent opinion from the ATF. Some will dispute it, but until they post a letter dated more recently than July of 2009, I'm siding with the most current opinion. Circuits pretty much covered the rest of it.

MOP
11-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Great Information Guys !

1 more note, check with your County LEO first.

IIRC, the gal running Dallas County will not sign any SBR forms :(

Lysander
11-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Great Information Guys !

1 more note, check with your County LEO first.

IIRC, the gal running Dallas County will not sign any SBR forms :(

Going the Trust/LLC route you bypass dickhead CLEOs.

Penguin
11-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Sounds like a pain. I have though about doing this to a thompson or a sterling. After that though makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble.

Lysander
11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a pain. I have though about doing this to a thompson or a sterling. After that though makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble.

It sounds intimidating, but it really isn't. All told, it took me part of a day to setup the trust, get it signed off, and mailed. Nice way to get out of the house on a Saturday. The real effort is in the researching of it, which others (myself included) have really made much more simple.

O.S.O.K.
11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
First off, ATF has been on-again, off-again with the 922r issues. Currently, you don't have to follow 922r once it's been made into an SBR, but ATF may change their mind again, and the letters they write on the subject are only truly applicable to the person and firearm to which they addressed it.

The process:
Get or download, print out and fill out TWO Forms 1 (aka ATF Form 5320.1) (Application to make and register a firearm). If printing them, they MUST be printed double-sided, and may not be submitted as two one-sided sheets each.

Download, print out and fill out Form 5330.20 (Certificate of compliance). Again, must be double-sided, not two one-sided sheets.
The description of the firearm must include the SBR configuration into which you will build it, and ONE caliber in which you will initially build it. You can change stuff out later if your platform allows it, but ATF demands a description of the length/caliber as you're actually going to first build it. You, as the "maker" MUST engrave the firearm with your name, city, state, but you can re-use the serial number. The original maker's name, city, state have now become "additional description", as you are the manufacturer of this new NFA firearm.

If going trust/llc/corp route, include copy of articles of incorporation/trust, schedule A

If going personal route, finger print cards (2x) and passport photos (2x); affix one each pic to the Forms 1. Must have original signature on each of the two F1, then drop those off to your CLEO for their original signatures on each F1.

Mail it all off to the address on the Form 1's upper right corner, with a check for $200. You can use a money order or whatever if you want, but it won't go any faster, and the cancelled check will give you some intel on when it was processed into the system, at least.

Sit on your ass and wait between a month and a year (average lately seems to have been about 4 months).

One of the original Forms 1 will come back approved with a tax stamp affixed to it - make a copy/scan then stick the original in your safe or safety deposit box for safekeeping.

Engrave your receiver, if you didn't do so already.
Cut your barrel and install it.

Profit!!!

Now that's the best instruction that I've seen - thank you! And thanks Lysander and others for the advice and links - the trust sounds like the way to go - and once you establish that you can add other SBR's or whatever to that trust right? And it avoids the local LEO BS? That alone makes it "the way" IMHO - I didn't like the idea of highlighting myself to the PD. The Sheriff already had my C&R stuff - but that was just a notification thing... and I've since let the C&R expire.

But, the 922r compliance is or is not applicable to SBR? Seems this is not conclusive? Figures... but as said - probably best to consider that it does based on current information.

So, I should probably get the thing 922r compliant first - then think about SBR... boy oh boy.

O.S.O.K.
11-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey MJ1 = that is sweet! Tell us about it.

MJ1
11-14-2010, 01:13 PM
.45 ACP

MJ1
11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
WHY IS THERE NO EDIT FEATURE ON THIS BOARD? CAN SOMEONE TELL THAT?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/4e75e38d.jpg

AKTexas
11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
.45 ACP

Awesome!Way cooler than a 10mm IMHO!

Lysander
11-14-2010, 06:17 PM
WHY IS THERE NO EDIT FEATURE ON THIS BOARD? CAN SOMEONE TELL THAT?

There is

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zi_9grjmnYg/TOBtttvodGI/AAAAAAAAAh8/D9kaEBsGkfc/s640/edit.JPG

O.S.O.K.
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Actually, right now for non-contributors, there isn't an edit.... admin is working on this = they are making some changes and this is just temporary.