PDA

View Full Version : .22 For Home Defense?

ltorlo64
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
After the festivities of last night, I am thinking seriously of the weapon I want within easy reach of my bed. I live in a fairly large apartment complex with lots of neighbors. I don't think there is much between the floors/ceiling/walls that seperate the apartments except insulation.

Here are my choices for home defense. A 12 ga pump shotgun with either birdshot or 00 buck. I am not excited about this because it would have to be out next to our bed and as it is a hunting gun, it is a little long to carry around the apartment. A 1911 in .45 ACP, a Glock in 9mm or a SIG Mosquito. There seems to be alot of .22 hollow points out now and I started wondering if that would not be a good round for my current situation. If I were in a house I would probably go with the Glock or the 1911, but given that I really don't want a bullet to travel a long ways, I am thinking the .22 with a hollow point would be effective. What do you guys think?

RJ Shooter
11-12-2010, 11:39 PM
A .22 will probably penetrate more than the others! I'd just buy some MagSafe or Glaser Safety Slugs for the 1911 or the Glock...

ubersoldate
11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I have a henry h001 lever action 22lr rifle that sits on my mantle.
Thats my go to rifle for property protection, super accurate, nice and easy to move around with...
But most of my worries around here is not people, but animals.
I did get raided two nights back by a racoon but thats not too exciting..

Last year the family up the hill from me whos property borders mine did have an issue with a bear, so I do have a 12 gauge loaded with 000 buck, and slugs sitting in the safe just in case, but I really think that a 22lr rifle is a great thing to have handy!

arcangel
11-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I think 9mm is a good way to go for such purpose, I also live in an apartment, but I think you may have more between your walls. I have also had 2 negligant discharges in a building. One was with an XD 45 at my parents home, went through the fucking house into the overhang in the roof and stopped there, but a bulge is visible from outside where the round stopped. And secondly was with a Glock 19 at a Holiday Inn. That round went through a pic frame and into the shower and rests there. Puttied up the pic frame and painted it over. No body was hurt thankfully. But it could of been bad. Both rounds were FMJ by the way.

ltorlo64
11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I have HP for my 9mm, so that is what I would be using, and until recently what I planned on using, I just started to worry about penetration.

old Grump
11-13-2010, 01:06 AM
If 22 is your choice and the arguments against the 12 gauge are good ones then I would suggest you go with solids not hollow points. My reasoning is that a 40 grain solid round nose lead or plated bullet will be slower than a hollow point but would penetrate your target better and that is important if you are using a small caliber. You need the bullet to get in far enough to hurt the boogerman. A hollow point has less chance of breaking through a rib or into a skull and a wide shallow wound with a mouse gun isn't disabling, its irritating.

Bigger is better but you uses what you gots and if you have a mouse gun than load that sucker up and let it roar.

raxar
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
.22's are only good as anti-aircraft weapons

old Grump
11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
And only fired from a tacti-cool; 10-22

ltorlo64
11-14-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, that goes without saying.

shadow65
11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
.22 certainly would not be the best choice, considering the other calibers you have available. If you are worried about penetrating walls, get Glasers or Mag Safe. Keep those as your first couple of rounds.
You have to remember, the priority is to stop the threat. Larger caliber with more energy is going to stop the threat quicker.
If you train with a .22 you need to learn to put many rounds on target. Not just one or two.

cciota
11-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I figure if you are in a situation where you are firing rounds inside you own home, you are in a world of shit, take care of business and figure the rest out later. Seriously, if my family is in danger, I will use the most firepower I can to protect them and fix the walls later.

slamfire51
11-14-2010, 06:42 PM
If you're worried about penetration with 00 or slugs, use field loads with #7 or #8 bird shot.
I know of no one who could offer any additional threat after being shot in the face with these.
Blind and helpless. If the perp keeps coming, shoot him in the head again.
"Shoot until the threat ends"