PDA

View Full Version : How about a cigar thread?

CigarGuy
07-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Going from lurking to posting....
I'm MUCH more comfortable discussing cigars and LEARNING about firearms.
I'll continue to read. If you want to talk cigars...........
What are ya' smokin'?

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 01:34 PM
These days I'm cheap, Fuente curly tops at $2.49 per.

CigarGuy
07-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Nothin' wrong with that! There are some, and some more to come, that are coming out
in the $5 region. GREAT time to be a cigar smoker.
As a side note, for you non-cigar-smokers, my cigar shop, and I would assume
MANY cigar shops are the safest places in town. EVERYONE carries......

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Curly tops taste good and are cheap, construction is so-so tho. I prefer a milder smoke with a light or shade wrapper.

AKTexas
07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
"Sigmund Freud said a cigar is just a cigar sometimes... Well, sometimes it's a big brown dick with a white business criminal asshole cocksucker sucking on the wet end of it." ---George Carlin

I quit smoking cigars long ago.I can't even remember what it was I smoked.They were mild and compared to a cuban about 5 bucks each.

CigarGuy
07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Curly tops taste good and are cheap, construction is so-so tho. I prefer a milder smoke with a light or shade wrapper.

I think they are a "mixed" filler, thus the lower price. It's tough to compete with a $2.50 cigar, and that one is about as good
as it gets at that price.
I tend to smoke a stronger cigar, so I'm not the best one to recommend a mild(er) cigar at the lower end of the pricing spectrum.
Wait! Perdomo has some new stuff out. Long filler and $4ish.....
A bit more then $2.50 though.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Every once in awhile I splurge on a Fonseca 10-10. I inhale a bit so I don't want anything too stout.

Blacksmith
07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
The online sales usually dictate what I will be smoking. I cleaned up on that big sale Famous had on Acid here awhile back. so they have been a regular here lately.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
The online sales usually dictate what I will be smoking. I cleaned up on that big sale Famous had on Acid here awhile back. so they have been a regular here lately.

I see those at the cigar store I trade at, are they good?

Blacksmith
07-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I see those at the cigar store I trade at, are they good?
Try one of The Kuba Kubas.
You will either love it or hate it.
It is an infused cigar but one of the best smokes I have ever tried.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Try one of The Kuba Kubas.
You will either love it or hate it.
It is an infused cigar but one of the best smokes I have ever tried.

Infused, with um, what? :O

Mark Ducati
07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4MVEUYCC_qI/R5SiolbbrwI/AAAAAAAABdY/mbJ_CcKTEDw/s400/monica_cigar.jpg

Blacksmith
07-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Infused, with um, what? :O

LOL
Let’s just say they are different. some of the line like Kong cameroon has distinct flavors that can be put into words but the Kuba Kuba is not something I can describe.

El Jefe
07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
LOL
Let’s just say they are different. some of the line like Kong cameroon has distinct flavors that can be put into words but the Kuba Kuba is not something I can describe.

Hmmm.... I'll have to try one. Oh and Marks picture is damned funny! :)

CigarGuy
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Good one, indeed!
They are infused with "botanicals", whatever that is?
Patchouli is one of the botanicals, I think?
Do NOT co-mingle them with your other sticks.
And, yes, you'll either love them or hate them.

TEN-32
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I just bought a bundle of dark wrapped Consuegras from JR. Best deal out there for an everyday smoke. They are seconds from the factory that produces Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey and others. For a few more bucks I like the CAO Brazilia or an El Rey del Mundo, and for a few more bucks I like a nice contraband Cohiba. :cigarsmoking:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=CONSUEGRA

recon
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a ton of cigar links the the old gunsnet site. Guess I'll try to get some of those back. :cigarsmoking:

CigarGuy
07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
I just bought a bundle of dark wrapped Consuegras from JR. Best deal out there for an everyday smoke. They are seconds from the factory that produces Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey and others. For a few more bucks I like the CAO Brazilia or an El Rey del Mundo, and for a few more bucks I like a nice contraband Cohiba. :cigarsmoking:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=CONSUEGRA

Ah, yes. The infamous "Connie's"! They've been around for ever!
"A 'few' more bucks"? Not compared to Connie's! :biggrina:

CigarGuy
08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Topping this for any "new" guys that are also cigar smokers........

mrkalashnikov
08-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I use to like smoking Punch and Baccarat cigars for a number of years, but can't find'em anymore. Cohibas too, when I felt flush. Lately I've been enjoying these cheapie stogies from the local cigar shop, they're called __Garcia-something, a nice mild, even-burning smoke that goes for less than $3 apiece. :cigarsmoking:

NextGen
08-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't always smoke, but when I do, I smoke Don Pablo's. Stay classy my friends.

But seriously, I recommend them. They're not too bad in price either.

CigarGuy
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
It's hard to find a good, "cheap" cigar as that freakin' SChip tax went into effect last April. Added about $.50 to every cigar. FOR THE CHILDREN! Makes me want to barf!
Try to support Perdomo Cigars, if you want to try something new. He's come out and TWICE LOWERED prices because of the recession. Good for him!

El Jefe
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't always smoke, but when I do, I smoke Don Pablo's. Stay classy my friends.

But seriously, I recommend them. They're not too bad in price either.

:funny-post: Those damned commercials, I always find myself thinking that old dude needs punched in the face.

HammerHead
08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Good to see you guys again! My "go to" cigar is still an Excaliber no. II in maduro. Also a big fan of almost anything with a Rocky Patel band. The Oliva G, and Oliva V are currently on my favorites list. For everyday smokes, I stuff my humidor with whatever I can find cheap at the online retailers. I've had some two dollar sticks that were very impressive, and some that were just turds!
This evenings' weather should be very pleasant. I plan to enjoy a Rocky Edge maduro and a glass or two of Canadian Mist and soda on the deck.
:cigarsmoking:

El Jefe
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Good to see you guys again! My "go to" cigar is still an Excaliber no. II in maduro. Also a big fan of almost anything with a Rocky Patel band. The Oliva G, and Oliva V are currently on my favorites list. For everyday smokes, I stuff my humidor with whatever I can find cheap at the online retailers. I've had some two dollar sticks that were very impressive, and some that were just turds!
This evenings' weather should be very pleasant. I plan to enjoy a Rocky Edge maduro and a glass or two of Canadian Mist and soda on the deck.

Sounds good on a Friday evening Hammer. You enjoying this short break in the heat wave?

CigarGuy
08-07-2010, 07:58 AM
The heat is repressive, here. Guess I have to go to the cigar shop to smoke today.............

HammerHead
08-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Sounds good on a Friday evening Hammer. You enjoying this short break in the heat wave?

It was, and I am. Too bad we're going back in the broiler next week. It may be 100 degrees again by Tuesday.
:evil-bbq:

El Jefe
08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
It was, and I am. Too bad we're going back in the broiler next week. It may be 100 degrees again by Tuesday.
:evil-bbq:

Yes I'm afraid it's true, summers in the midwest can be brutal at times.

I think I may have to imbibe in a smoke and a bourbon or two this evening, might even burn some cow on the grill. :)

lightning9191
08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I've never been disappointed by anything by Perdomo....they are my goto.

Guns Network Staff
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Well lets see.

I smoke lots of Fuente high end stuff like Opus X Robusto's, #2, Fuente Fuente, XxX, Perfection X (my favorite).

I also like Anejo 55, 48, 49 and 50.... Hemingway UTS's, Signature's. Don Carlos Double Robusto's.

AF Sun Grown 858's, Cuban Belicoso.

I smoke a lot of the Ashton VSG line... ALL of the VSG's love the Torpedo and Wizard lines.

Smoke Padron 1964's & 1926's in Natural and Maduro.

I am a BIG Tatajue fan as I have smoke many with the owner. I smoke a lot of the black label, Cabinet, Cojonu, Reserva.

Keep in mind the above is just the Dominican line I smoke, ROTFLMAO......

I have a temperature control armoire which is a must in central Texas.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/502/DSCN0510.JPG

Blacksmith
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I have a temperature control armoire which is a must in central Texas.

[IMG]http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/502/DSCN0510.JPG[IMG]

Nice!
Did you have it custom built? where do I get one? :D

I converted a wine refrigerator. The temp is stable enough but when the unit kicks on it plays havoc with the humidity. so I use a separate humidity device inside the humidor and store my tubos and sealed boxes on the outside. It works but I want something a little more stable.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/Blacksmith66/DSC02094.jpg

Guns Network Staff
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice!
Did you have it custom built? where do I get one? :D

I converted a wine refrigerator. The temp is stable enough but when the unit kicks on it plays havoc with the humidity. so I use a separate humidity device inside the humidor and store my tubos and sealed boxes on the outside. It works but I want something a little more stable.

Bob Staebell built mine and yes it is custom. (http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/aristocrat-MxTHC-4874.html)

Mine is in the middle top photo and the inside section is right down below middle again.

Blacksmith
08-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Bob Staebell built mine and yes it is custom. (http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/aristocrat-MxTHC-4874.html)

Mine is in the middle top photo and the inside section is right down below middle again.

Very nice.
Thanks for the link. the prices look a whole lot cheaper than I’ve been seeing.
looks like it would be well worth having it shipped out here.

NRAJOE
08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Arango Maduro 100's...$1.59 ea.

recon
08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/

Guns Network Staff
08-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Bob is great people to deal with and is always working on humidors, his work is the best a master carpenter like him is known for. Shipping is very reasonable. He takes great pride in packing up any of his one of a kind pieces.

I have recommended him to 15 firends of mine and he has done all of them very well. From small cabinet humidors to the larger amoires his Temperature Control system is unbelievable.

aliceinchains
08-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I buy from CI when they have a good deal. I am stocked up for awhile. With this damn humidity don't even need a humidor.

CigarGuy
08-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Big cigar trade show was in NOLa the last couple days. Anyone make it? Can't wait to try the new stuff!

elkydriver
08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I used to do the deal of the day with them quite a bit, but havent bought much of anything in over a year. Im mostly burning off what I have now. Think Ill have a nice Diplomaticos #4 tonight though

CigarGuy
01-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Time to dig this up? Smokin' anything good/different lately?

recon
01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
These are my favorite ones right now.
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&itemcode=UPL&/H.%20UPMANN-LONSDALE.html

CigarGuy
01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I LOVE that lonsdale size! To "thin" for many, but just right for me!

mrkalashnikov
04-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Just placed an order yesterday with Thompson Cigar Co for this ten-pack of stogies:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w437/mrkalashnikov1/TC_812456_ET010898_0.jpg

$29.95 + 4 bucks shipping. This is only the 2nd time I've ever ordered from them. The last time the cigars were stale when they arrived. We'll see if this batch is decently fresh....:cigarsmoking:

El Jefe
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Just placed an order yesterday with Thompson Cigar Co for this ten-pack of stogies:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w437/mrkalashnikov1/TC_812456_ET010898_0.jpg

$29.95 + 4 bucks shipping. This is only the 2nd time I've ever ordered from them. The last time the cigars were stale when they arrived. We'll see if this batch is decently fresh....:cigarsmoking:

Did you let them know they sent you junk, if so, how did they respond?

Good luck with this new batch. I've had the two on the left and they're good. The others I'm not sure I recognize.

mrkalashnikov
04-11-2012, 12:30 PM
To be honest it's been so long I don't even remember what their response was, if any.

They still send me catalogs from time to time though; that selection looked tasty & a good price to boot, so I thought I'd give them a chance to redeem themselves.

I will post a "range report" here after the sticks have arrived & I've had the chance to sample same. :cigarsmoking:

El Jefe
04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
To be honest it's been so long I don't even remember what their response was, if any.

They still send me catalogs from time to time though; that selection looked tasty & a good price to boot, so I thought I'd give them a chance to redeem themselves.

I will post a "range report" here after the sticks have arrived & I've had the chance to sample same. :cigarsmoking:

Cool. "Range report" that's hilarious, I'll have to file that. ;)

CigarGuy
04-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Prepare for the onslaught. Thompson is ruthless sellers, phone calls, and all.
And enjoy the cigars!

mrkalashnikov
04-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Prepare for the onslaught. Thompson is ruthless sellers, phone calls, and all.
And enjoy the cigars!

Got my "Your order has shipped" email confirmation the other day.

Waiting..waiting..

CigarGuy
04-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Got my "Your order has shipped" email confirmation the other day.

Waiting..waiting..

From right here in sunny Tampa.
Any of you cigar guys HAVE to make the mecca(can I use that word?) to Ybor City, the Cigar City of the USA.
There is a Cigar Heritage Fest in November that's a winner!

mrkalashnikov
04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a bil that lives in Tampa and have been to Ybor City several times.

Really enjoyed seeing the senoras y senors hand-rolling the sweet leaf Cubano-style cigars for our enjoyment. Es muy bueno!

mrkalashnikov
04-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Stoges have arrived, and were sealed in a heavy vinyl pouch w/ a zip lock.

They look and feel fresh. :hyper:

Been kinda chilly & windy here lately. I like to smoke outdoors, usually on my porch, in warmer weather. Going to a friend's house this weekend for a BBQ; will have to break some of these bad boys out then (or before, if the mood hits). Until then they are comfortably esconced in my humidor.

:cigarsmoking::cigarsmoking:

CigarGuy
04-17-2012, 08:47 AM
It's REAL warm here but for my first weekend off in 3 months my daughters YRC(Young Republican Club) is having an "ATF" day Saturday. Shoot in the morning with concealed carry classes for those that need it, lunch and more shooting, then to a restaurant for drinks and cigars, provided by yours truly. THAT should be a fun day!

mrkalashnikov
04-17-2012, 08:40 PM
It's REAL warm here but for my first weekend off in 3 months my daughters YRC(Young Republican Club) is having an "ATF" day Saturday. Shoot in the morning with concealed carry classes for those that need it, lunch and more shooting, then to a restaurant for drinks and cigars, provided by yours truly. THAT should be a fun day!

Sounds like a good day, indeed.

Quick update: I just came in from firing up the first of my Thompson-supplied smokes.

A hand-rolled Barlovento Dominican. Never have heard of the make, but it was an almost perfect cigar for me. Mild, but full-flavored smoke; very easy drawing and evenly burning. No hint of dryness or harshness whatsover...I complimented it with some fresh-brewed ice tea w/ lemon, lol.

I can't wait to try a few more of the selection. I believe most of the cigars I got would go for $5 to $8 (or more) in these parts, from my experience. Minus the shipping, these came out to less than 3 bucks a piece. I am a happy camper.

El Jefe
04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Excellent. Yeah, well made Dominicans are hard to go wrong with IMO.

Glad you're enjoying the smokes, not sure what to make of the tea tho. ;)

mrkalashnikov
05-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Welll...I've smoked 7 of the 10 cigars I got from Thompson so far. I've arranged the list in order of preference:

1. Barlovento

2. Sonador

3. Mira Flor

4. Gurkha

5. Macanudo

6. Cohiba (I believe it was a tad on the stale side)

7. Padilla Legacies (the only US-made stogie in the bunch; like toking a brown paper bag)

All in all, a nice pack of primo cigars at a very good price, imho. I'm looking forward to torching up the last 3 in the near future.

CigarGuy
05-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Excellent that you are enjoying them!

mrkalashnikov
06-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I was perusing this 3-yr-old thread of CG's and noticed how many members had chimed in. I know some of these guys are still around on the board. They needs ta get summa skin in da smoke game!

CigarGuy
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Shiite! It has been 3 years! Man! Where does the time go.........

El Jefe
06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I was perusing this 3-yr-old thread of CG's and noticed how many members had chimed in. I know some of these guys are still around on the board. They needs ta get summa skin in da smoke game!

Some one should touch base with Recon.

A lot of those other guys are basically MIA.

recon
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm here! Been busy working long days! Looks like it is only two years+ and counting. :anim_beer-1:

El Jefe
06-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm here! Been busy working long days! Looks like it is only two years+ and counting. :anim_beer-1:

Hey, Bro, hang around! ;)

Check the box pass thread out, we'd love to have your participation. (seriously)