PDA

View Full Version : Old rifle brought back to life.

old Grump
11-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Coast to Coast Model 320 single shot bolt action 22LR. Gotta love a gun that absolutely devours absolutely any ammo you can get in it unlike all of these magazine fed prima donna guns.
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/4360/model320singleshot25yar.th.jpg (http://img574.imageshack.us/i/model320singleshot25yar.jpg/)

This is my first gun bought back in 1964, Coast to Coast hardware store for $28. At least half a million rounds through that gun and probably a lot more than that. This is the gun I used to train my young ones and every new shooter that didn't have a gun of their own to shoot. It has a lot of competition on my rifle rack now. Due to a complete brain fart I decided to upgrade it with a scope. After that I couldn't hit beans with it so I stopped shooting it figuring the old gun had lost its MOJO.

I finally got my head unstuck and replaced the iron sights when I at long last realized the problem was I could not keep a scope mount tight and in place. Eyes still old and I will never shoot acorns off trees with it again but this is what it can do on a good day from a rest. It was my fault all the time not the gun. This is the rifle that I literally learned to shoot with.

Infidelski
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
40+ years of shooting and thats a nice group !

FunkyPertwee
11-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks for sharing, old grump. Thats a great story.

BTW, do you pull the firing pin back manually after working the bolt, like an old Winchester I've shot?

old Grump
11-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks for sharing, old grump. Thats a great story.

BTW, do you pull the firing pin back manually after working the bolt, like an old Winchester I've shot?
I certainly do. Even with farmer calluses on my hands I used to come back to the house after a few hours in the field or on the ridge with a groove in my finger from loading ammo and a blister on my right forefinger from pulling back that bolt. Got to where I could do it fairly quickly, impossible today. That single action is why I learned to take my time and aim carefully because there was no second shot. That is why I still use it for training today. Instead of 5-10 minutes to burn up a box of 50 it took me a couple of hours. Best shooting you can get if you don't have a coach.

azhonkey
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
looks just like my 1953 jc higgins that my dad gave me when i just turned eight years old.still have it and it shoots great.

O.S.O.K.
11-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Good shooting! Nothing wrong with that rifle!