PDA

View Full Version : Which AK? So many choices!

tower59
11-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi, all. I'm currently invested a bit in the SKS platform and 7.62 x 39 cartridge, so for future rifles I'm thinking about the AK over the AR because of the common ammunition and reliability. Things I dislike about the SKS are its weight, limited ammunition capacity (10 round fixed mag), and difficulty in mounting optics. I want to be able to hit human sized targets out to 200m for defensive reasons. (It's an added bonus if the weapon can shoot past 200m- my area has open spaces and I could possibly want to shoot at 300-400m if I had good optics, but this is optional.) The only role of the weapon is protection should things get really bad. I shoot left-handed if that makes any difference.

So, what I'm looking for is a rifle or carbine that is:
(1) Reliable and easily maintained
(2) Light
(3) Effective range to 200m+
(4) Takes a red dot sight (or other) and holds zero
(5) Preferably is 7.62x39
(6) Is reasonably accurate
(7) Can be shot by regular adults and small adults

I'm thinking that an AK with collapsible stock, Ultimak rail and Primary Arms Microdot may be the way to go. I don't mind paying a little more for a quality rifle if it's worthwhile.

So, with that in mind, what specific AK would you recommend? Thank you for your expert opinion and help!!! :)

MOP
11-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Romanian WASR 10/63, about $350~400

to

Bulgarian Arsenal, $750~850

xcatm
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
If you're able to hand pick I would go with a WASR 10/63. I know of two AK gunsmiths that can do wonders with WASRs. Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics and Will Hayden/Red Jacket are both great guys and do wonderful work. I think I have a pic of the kind of rifle you'r talking about somewhere.

imanaknut
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the group, both tower59 and xcatm !!! :welcome:

I suggest taking a look through the various stickies in each AK country forums for an idea of the vast variations that are out there.

Unfortunately in today's climate of regulating "shall not be infringed" we no longer have a supply of new factory built AKs to choose from. All current ones are made from parts and assembled with a maximum of 10 imported parts. The remaining parts needed to sell the AK variant as a sporting weapon must be US made. But older factory weapons are still available, but their prices are starting to show it.

That should be enough to really smoke your brain. Really a hard concept to understand, how if you have 10 imported parts in your newly made AK it is an angelic device capable of no harm, but 11 imported parts makes it a baby killing machine, and the right mixture of parts over 10 could destroy the universe!!! Yes ATF is out of control.

Anyway, read up on the different variations, like the MAK-90s and other Chinese; or the Maadis from Egypt which were made on actual Soviet machinery but to slightly lower standard (but not by much).

Read up on the variations to stay away from, like the Maadi MISR-90, a mix of Egyptian and Chinese parts by Century that really didn't work.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh, for long distance shooting of a caliber .30 you would want to go to something else. Mr. K. designed his rifle to shoot an 8 inch group at 150 yards. While many AKs will do better, and with a good trigger group, clean crown and 95% from your ability you can shoot really nice groups at 100 yards, you must remember that 8 inches at 150 yards will do exactly what Mr Kalashnikov designed his homeland defense rifle to do. ;)

Oh, one other thing. If you must have an AK that was a true military issue weapon, the only one ever imported was the Romanian SAR-1. They were actual issue weapons to new Romanian army soldiers. All other AKs imported into the US were commercial rifles, most made specifically for sale in the land of shall not be infringed.

Oh, and I shoot using either hand based on who is shooting on either side of me. When I shoot the AK left handed I always install a brass catcher. Although most AKs fling shells either directly to the side, or many forward, I do have an SAR-3 that flings them almost straight back. Almost defies laws of physics!