PDA

View Full Version : Giant Penguin Fossil Gives Evolutionary Clues

old Grump
11-16-2010, 01:28 AM
By Emily Schmall
October 5, 2010

LIMA (Reuters) - The preserved feathers and scales of a giant fossilized penguin discovered on Peru's central coast provide a glimpse of Peru's Eocene period, and how the species evolved to its modern state, paleontologists say.

The ancient version of the marine bird was about 1.5 meters (5 feet) tall and weighed almost 60 kg (132 lb), dwarfing today's Emperor Penguin, the largest of the modern-day species."By looking at this fossil, we were prompted to ask new questions about living penguins and the world we live in today," said Julia Clarke, an expert in avian anatomy at the University of Texas at Austin.

The paleontologists date the remains to 36 million years ago. They dubbed the ancient penguin "Inkayacu paracasensis," which means "emperor of the water" in the indigenous language of Quechua.

"Without doubt this is the most complete specimen of ancient penguins that exists," said Rodolfo Salas-Gismondi, the lead paleontologist and the head of the University of San Marcos' Museum of Natural History in Lima.
The mostly intact fossil skeleton allows scientists to understand the anatomy of early penguins, Salas-Gismondi said. The coloring of the fossil suggests penguins did not start off black and white, and may have evolved over time to adapt to new climate conditions.

"The feathers we discovered are a reddish-brown. It was rather large and lived in a period when the planet was very warm, totally unlike the penguins of today. This specimen is very important for understanding the evolution of modern penguins," Salas-Gismondi said on Monday.

A young researcher first stumbled upon the remains in 2006, when he was studying the habits of aquatic birds in the Paracas National Reserve, 280 km (174 miles) south of Lima.

Salas-Gismondi, who led an excavation in 2007, says the skeleton was preserved under a protective blanket of sediment, in an anaerobic environment when world temperatures were at their highest. The teeth of a prehistoric whale and shark cartilage millions of years old have previously been recovered near Paracas.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11804145

How about that, I'm searching for Peruvian music and stumble across one of my favorite subjects, no not penguins, evolution. Baffles me how so many can deny it when the proof is every place we look and places we haven't. It tickles me giggle all over. So much to learn, so little time to learn it.

Penguin
11-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks would be cool if there were pictures I may have to do some digging after work and see it I can't find out more.

slamfire51
11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Didn't you know ancient Evolutionist planted fossils all around the world to debunk the Creationist's claims?

Mark Ducati
11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/madagascar_penguin.gif

Blacksmith
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Since it shrunk, would it not be reverse of evolution?
Personally I think adaptation would be a better description.

matshock
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Didn't you know ancient Evolutionist planted fossils all around the world to debunk the Creationist's claims?

Yeah that's about as funny as revisionists saying the lack of original documentation and photographic evidence invalidates the Bible as a historical source.

old Grump
11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Adapting to climate and food sources is genetic based, successful adaptions thrive, unsuccessful adaptations do not. Why would you think they would have to get bigger? Cooler climate and a diminished food supply would favor the smaller more efficient size and the new color scheme would help it blend into the new environment and aid it in hunting and evading hunters. Think Mastodon and elephant or Saber tooth tiger and modern tigers. They sized down not up.

fingolfen
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/madagascar_penguin.gif

*lol* Ahhh - the Penguins... gotta love those guys...

Blacksmith
11-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Adapting to climate and food sources is genetic based, successful adaptions thrive, unsuccessful adaptations do not. Why would you think they would have to get bigger? Cooler climate and a diminished food supply would favor the smaller more efficient size and the new color scheme would help it blend into the new environment and aid it in hunting and evading hunters. Think Mastodon and elephant or Saber tooth tiger and modern tigers. They sized down not up.

Oh I see the reasoning.
But it was the evolution thing I was questioning. What you described is simply adapting, I would not consider it evolving.
When I thing evolution I think of it as life evolving from pond scum. Not simply getting smaller or larger or changing color to adapt to the environment.

old Grump
11-16-2010, 06:15 PM
It's all a matter of scale and time, The giant penguins were fairly recent in the geological scheme of things. They have traced our DNA back to a rodent like creature about the size of a small dog running around during the last of the dinosaur age. Before that the earliest mammals looked like and weren't much different in size than large insects. We have come a long way since then.

One little ice age and dinosaurs go belly up but the mammals adapted, thrived and kept on changing. Pretty amazing when you consider the time element and all the calamitous changes earth has gone through in the last 65 million years. Continents shifting, earth quakes, volcanoes, rivers shifting, oceans receding then coming back to flood us and land bridges between continents appearing and disappearing, swamps turning into forests turning into grasslands turning into deserts turning into swamps again, hot cold, temperate and stormy, we have endured it all.

And of course the tree hugging climate change yahoo's blame it all on you and me.

Penguin
11-16-2010, 06:42 PM

There were several species of penguins that are now extinct that were much larger than penguins of today. There were some that were even larger than the one in this artical. Generally as far as evelotion goes the little blue penguin is considered the most primitive of the penguins today. They are also the smallest today. I think size has very little to do with it. Avalible food probably has a lot more to do with it.

Penguin
11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
*lol* Ahhh - the Penguins... gotta love those guys...

Those are the funniest thing ever. My sense of humor exactly and in penguin form to top it off.