PDA

View Full Version : Quick, AR SBR question.

Solidus-snake
11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Can I take a lower reciever thats already registered as a rifle and have it registered as a SBR lower?

circuits
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
You can register either an existing pistol, an existing rifle, or a virgin receiver as the basis of your new SBR. It doesn't matter.

Solidus-snake
11-21-2010, 03:32 AM
sweet, thanks alot. Thatll save me some monies in the process, so i just have a class 3 dealer lead me through the paperwork then order a shorty upper?

circuits
11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
You'll be the "maker" and do it on a Form 1, presumably. Nothing wrong with asking a local C3 to help you out with the paperwork, but no dealer involvement is required to "make" a new SBR on a Form 1. You'd only have to involve a Class 3 dealer if buying an already-made SBR from someone out of state, to avoid an additional transfer tax.

AKTexas
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
You'll be the "maker" and do it on a Form 1, presumably. Nothing wrong with asking a local C3 to help you out with the paperwork, but no dealer involvement is required to "make" a new SBR on a Form 1. You'd only have to involve a Class 3 dealer if buying an already-made SBR from someone out of state, to avoid an additional transfer tax.

What do you suggest when it comes to engraving the information?

Solidus-snake
11-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Thank you very much for this information.

circuits
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM

Find a local trophy shop/engraver near you that isn't anti-gun. They'll need to do it while-u-wait unless they're also an FFL.

If no appropriate local shop is available, I've heard good things about Ident Marking Services and Orion Engraving, and a web search should turn up contact info/website for either place.

AKTexas
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Find a local trophy shop/engraver near you that isn't anti-gun. They'll need to do it while-u-wait unless they're also an FFL.

If no appropriate local shop is available, I've heard good things about Ident Marking Services and Orion Engraving, and a web search should turn up contact info/website for either place.

Thank you,I will see if we have someone in my area.

06boblee
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Is engraving necessary? Reading the form 1 instructions it sounds like you register it using the existing serial #. You only need to put additional data if you are building from scratch. Is this right?

Schuetzenman
01-25-2011, 10:01 PM

If you sBR and existing weapon (based on Filthy Phils letter he posted) on a form 1 you need to engrave nothing, repeat noting on the weapon. If a class 3 license holder had to cut the barrel then he'd have to put his mark on it.

AKTexas
01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
If you sBR and existing weapon (based on Filthy Phils letter he posted) on a form 1 you need to engrave nothing, repeat noting on the weapon. If a class 3 license holder had to cut the barrel then he'd have to put his mark on it.

Okay I take my stripped AR lower send in the forms etc get my stamp back and put on the short upper and I'm good?