PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season: Show what you got!

NewbieAKguy
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Today was the beginning of IL's first shotgun season. Got this at approx. 11:40 this morning:

WOOHOO!!! 8 Pointer!
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/NewbieAKguy/P1000813.jpg

Tried a different ammo and sight this season than last couple. Tried out a work bud's TruGlo 5 moa red dot on a receiver rail I've been wanting to try out for a couple years. I spent this past Tuesday and Wednesday I trying out different rifled slugs with regular bird barrel (with IC choke and just bead sight and then with said red dot) and using my rifled barrel w/rifle sights to confirm my POA with my usual load of Remington's 2.75 CopperSolids. Also, with extra time tried my usual load with the red dot.

But as it turns out, I tried Remington's newer AccuTip slugs cuz they were on sale and low and behold, they impacted pretty much near where the rifled slugs hit. So I said what the heck, left on the red dot and scored this big boy with one shot. Didn't even run or anything; went straight down, twitched a few seconds and that was that. Very pleased with the results. Hopefully I'll fill my doe tag tomorrow or Sunday for my bud whose family owns the land I hunt on.

Oh, and the kicker is I scored the same TruGlo at Dick's Sporting Goods this week on sale for $30!

AKTexas
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Nice looking buck.I took a cull this Saturday evening.He is backstraps,tenderloins,and sausage.

We are passing on all the 8 pointers and young 6 pointers.Culling all uneven horned bucks,spikes,and old narrow 8 pointers.

The shot entered right behind the shoulder,clean hole not exit wound.I anchored him where he stood.Once I gutted him I could the damage done to his internals.His aorta was mush.

I shot the deer with my M700VS .308 using Winchester 150gr soft points bullets.Since there was not an exit wound I suspect all the energy was expended internally.The fat on this deer was incredible.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Photo-0396.jpg

NewbieAKguy
11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Nice shot. I'm so ready for the call for my deer to be done at butchers....the jalapeno n cheese stick samples convinced me to get a couple pounds for myself and some more jerky. Jerky didn't even last 24 hrs last year :). Hopefully I'll get to pick it up on Wednesday, maybe share for Turkey Day......maybe :). Mine was the biggest buck I've seen where I hunt since I started deer hunting in IL. I would have had not problem taking two does, but it is what it is :D.

Tx Dogblaster
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice deer Newb... What is the rationale behind shotgun only in some of the northern/Midwest states?

Perfect cull buck AKTexas... Looks like a 2 1/2 year old with 1 brow tine and non-symmetrical beams... Needed to be removed from the gene pool...

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Nice deer Newb... What is the rationale behind shotgun only in some of the northern/Midwest states?

Perfect cull buck AKTexas... Looks like a 2 1/2 year old with 1 brow tine and non-symmetrical beams... Needed to be removed from the gene pool...

Hard say his glands were darker than the other bucks I passed on.He is sausage and backstraps now.

Tx Dogblaster
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Hard say his glands were darker than the other bucks I passed on.He is sausage and backstraps now.

Just judging by his neck and belly/back and his forehead, I'd call him 2 1/2 with confidence.

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Just judging by his neck and belly/back and his forehead, I'd call him 2 1/2 with confidence.

He was chasing the nana too the day I took him out.The doe he was going for was not having any of his shit.I must have took his dad last year then,similar horns but worn teeth.

NewbieAKguy
12-08-2010, 12:27 AM

I think it's some lame ass excuse of being "less dangerous" than using a high-power rifle for deer hunting. Here's the kickers though: 1. IIRC while reading an article in American Hunter, one of the state's NG or army engineers (PA I think) actually did a test and it turned out that rifle bullets don't travel as far as slugs due to being lighter and affected more by hitting obstable, whereas the slugs tend to go farther to due to increased weight and "skipping" (i think). Kicker 2 is that here in the BS state of IL I can coyote hunt with an AR and 30 rd mags all day long if I wanted....go figure.

Edit: I did get my deer back the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. DELICIOUS!!! Took some of the jerky and sticks to work....didn't last long :D. Saving the rest for me!