PDA

View Full Version : 50BMG Scopes

Mark Ducati
11-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm looking to buy the Bushmaster BA50 50BMG rifle... this is the Cobb Mfg. weapon that Bushmaster bought the rights to.

I plan to shoot mostly 300-600 yard shots, but would like the capability to shoot up to 1000 yards or beyond... so I was thinking that I needed a Mil-Dot scope and the Mil-Dot Master... but then I've seen that there are actual scopes with a built in BDC already calibrated for the heavy grained 50BMG bullet specifically.

I really like this Trijicon ACOG 6x48....

http://trijicon.com/parts/TA648RMR_452.jpg

They say using this reticle you can range out to 1800 yards and use the BDC... this doesn't look like standard Mil-Dots... how would you use this reticle for ranging?

http://trijicon.com/parts/TA648RMR-50_RedChevron.jpg

El Laton Caliente
11-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Are you sure it is calibrated in yards?

The "6" is 600 meters, the 10 is 1,000 meters... place the target behind what distance and bang...

Most Russian military scope are like this only they have a second scale that used on a man gives a guess in the yardage.

Mark Ducati
11-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks dude... you were right... meters, not yards.

I see... so there is no "knob" to turn for the BDC... you just raise the scope up, put the "meter #, like '14' for 1400 meters on the target"... that's what I need, something idiot proof. Too much work to get the mildot master out and make calculations, I'm no sniper, don't have the patience and don't want to be one... if I could hit the engine block of a car or a man's torso at 800 meters, I'd be happy.

Mark Ducati
11-20-2010, 10:40 AM
TA648RMR-50: ACOG 6x48 Machine Gun Optic, Dual Illuminated Red Chevron .500 Ballistic Ballistic Reticle, 8.0 MOA RMR® Sight, and TA75 Mount

The military’s need for a magnified, self-luminous tactical sight
that enhances target identification and increases hit probability on
extended-range shots has given rise to the new Trijicon ACOG® 6x48.
Powered by Trijicon’s patented fiber optics and tritium-based
technology, the new TA648RMR-50 ACOG® reticle features a red
chevron aiming point. It also incorporates a bullet drop
compensator (BDC) with additional aiming points estimated for
trajectory of the .50BMG round out to 1800 meters. To further
improve target acquisition and hit potential, the new ACOG® 6x48
incorporates Trijicon’s Bindon Aiming Concept™ (BAC) – a
revolutionary both-eyes-open method of aiming.

Like other members of the Trijicon ACOG® line, the new ACOG® 6x48 is
battery free and waterproof to 500 feet.

This model of the 6x48 ACOG® features an 8.0 MOA RMR™.

The TA648RMR-50 also includes:

* 1 8.0 MOA RMR™ Sight (RM02)
* 1 Picatinny Rail Adapter (TA75)
* 1 LENSPEN® (LENSPEN)
* 1 Trijicon Logo Sticker (PR15)
* 1 Manual
* 1 Warranty Card

Specifications:
Magnification 6.0
Objective Size 48.0
Bullet Drop Compensator Yes
Length (in) 9.00
Weight (oz) 39.3 w/out RMR
Illumination source Fiber Optics & Tritium
Reticle Pattern Chevron w/ Target Reference System
Day Reticle Color Red
Night Reticle Color Red
Calibration .50 BMG
Bindon Aiming Concept Y
Eye Relief (in) 2.70
Exit Pupil (mm) 8.00
Field of View (°) 3.30
Field of View @ 100yrds (ft) 17.00
Adjustment @ 100 yds (clicks/in) 4.0
Tube Size N/A
Mount TA75
Mount On/Comes With TA75
Housing Material Forged Aluminum
Special Order No

Mark Ducati
11-20-2010, 11:08 AM
How does this thing work? Not a bad price, $2548 for the BORS and Leupold MK4 Scope, Rings, Software, etc. as a package... I'm all over this one!

http://longrangesupply.com/images/66000-7WS_1.jpg

Barrett BORS + Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Mil Dot Scope + Rings

Its some kind of calculator that measures a lot of crap for you like:

Measures air temperature, barometric pressure, and bore line angle
• Calculates a ballistic solution for a specific user-selected cartridge
• Eliminates the need for "counting clicks", calculating mil dots as target ranges change, or using a handheld computer
• Allows the shooter to focus on environmental conditions, assess the tactical situation, and quickly engage multiple targets at varying ranges
• Takes the mystery out of bullet drop

Does this have a motor that changes elevation/windage for you automatically? Or do you still have to turn knobs?

Mark Ducati
11-20-2010, 11:27 AM
WOW!

I sell my own mother for one of these! (Well, not really, but almost!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYX_LL5k1OA

Schuetzenman
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh ... now I know what I want when I hit lotto!

El Laton Caliente
11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I like the Russian scopes; they are about idiot proof.

O.S.O.K.
11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I like the Russian scopes; they are about idiot proof.

Yeah, but they're like what? $150! :D

They do work... and are built like tanks - Russian tanks.

You are talking about the PSOP's right?

Mark Ducati
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Okay.... I just pulled the trigger on a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T scope with the TMR retitcle and the BORS unit from SWFA.....

If I hadn't sold the M16 and been sitting on a wad of cash... there's no way in hell I'd have ever dropped that much green on a scope... BUT, you have to admit, that BORS is pretty bad ass... and for and idiot like me, I need all the help I can to put a bullet on the target.

arcangel
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
A friend of mine that worked at the gun shop I used to live at before I moved has the leupold/BORS setup on his Kimber custom 308. They are very nice setups, and should come with the soft ware for just about every cal and bullet weight imaginable. Once its programed for the load your using its good to go. Since its going on a 50, and Barret makes it, all the possible 50 BMG loadings should be programed to it already.

Mark Ducati
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's another bit of information I learned today from the Tech at Barrett...

SWFA sent me the scope, but the BORS is on back order for a reason... they discontinued it.

The NEW BORS sight is compatible with both standard scopes and IR scopes that have illuminated retical dial usually canted off to the side... the new BORS will acomodate both type scopes and also has the latest software.

Further, the tech told me that the Leupold 6.5-20x50 scope has about 70 MOA adjustment... using the standard high 30mm zero gap rings that come with the BORS would only get me out to 1100-1200 yards.... he said I need their 20x30mm rings that would get me out to 2000...

So, I canceled my order with SWFA for the BORS part since it was back ordered and got the new BORS and correct rings from Lin Schryver's website :)