PDA

View Full Version : Man Food: Properly cooked Bacon

old Grump
11-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Bacon, the bane of Muslims but the most wonderful man food on God’s green earth. There is something about bacon that real men love. The sizzle of the bacon in the pan, the mouth watering appetite stimulating inducing odor that fills your house or your campsite when it starts to cook. Men love bacon for a reason. It is the perfect man food but alas so few know how to cook this manly meat. Cooking a good bacon is an essential man skill as important as knowing how to make a proper camp fire or how to properly tie a hook onto the end of your fishing line.

Bacon is flexible and can be done several ways but it is only right if its it is properly crisp with all of its flavor intact, not limp like a half cooked fish or burnt like a marshmallow cooked in a bonfire.

Grandpa’s Pan Fry

Do it on the stove and in its own grease in a large flat frying pan, preferably cast iron. Lay the strips close, not overlapping but filling the pan. Cooking to little bacon at a time means there will not be enough grease to cover the bacon properly. Too much bacon in the pan means it will stay limp and undercooked where it overlapped. That is gross and you had better not put that on my plate. Do not toss cold bacon on a hot griddle, let it relax on the counter long enough to get flexible and close to room temperature. Then put it over medium heat, not high heat. Your bacon will cook more evenly this way and is the secret to nice crisp bacon with all of its flavor where it belongs, no bitter tasting scorch marks.

Do not flip it then flip it again then flip it again, bacon gets flipped once and only once. You can figure 10 minutes if your heat is adjusted correctly but keep your eye on it, your idea of medium heat may not be my idea of medium heat and thin cut bacon is going to fry faster than thick cut bacon, this is something you will have to learn on your own. Grandma flipped it onto a towel when done to soak up the grease, ma used a paper towel. In camp I just used a double paper plate but I use paper towels too. Side dish or main dish, BLT or with eggs it’s your choice, point is you now have good bacon to eat.

Microwave

I’m afraid I got lazy in my old age and start to late to take up 20 minutes of cooking time in the kitchen so I have two types of bacon cooking pans for the microwave. Both drain grease from the bacon while it cooks but my preferred method is an old plate that is microwave safe with a paper plate on it and a double layer of paper towels on that and one layer over the bacon. Bacon laid out the same way, close but not touching for the same reason.

My sister likes 1 minute, I like mine a little crispier and give it another 15 seconds. Power level of your microwave and how much bacon you are cooking will determine what is right for you. It really helps if your microwave has a rotating tray or you can end up with burnt spots and undone spots unless you turn the tray at least once during the cooking time. 90 degree turn not 180 or you will end up with the same uncooked spots. After the timer goes off I let it sit another 30 seconds or so before I take it out then let it cool uncovered till it’s the right temp to eat. Hot but not blister the roof of your mouth hot.

Wheat toast, lettuce leaf, slice of a good tasting tomato, a few strips of bacon and a thin slice of aged cheddar cheese makes a perfect BLT. Spread of your choice, I'm not a fan of mayonnaise and use salsa but use what you like. For a tickle your taste bud change use a leaf of raw spinach instead of lettuce.

Dang, I should have made a post about BLT's

raxar
11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
here in dutch country we have bacon dressing, which is as delicious as it sounds. Usually served over hot over lettuce. it's similar in taste to italian salad dressing, but not as zesty and thicker.

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 06:40 PM
here in dutch country we have bacon dressing, which is as delicious as it sounds. Usually served over hot over lettuce. it's similar in taste to italian salad dressing, but not as zesty and thicker.

You ever had hot German potato salad "Kartoffel Salat" its got a kinda sweet sauer taste with bacon bits? my moms dad was Pennsylvania Dutch.

raxar
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
never heard of it.

crapshoot
11-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Endive? Or some people call it chicory? I love that shit.

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Its delicious...do a google search for "hot german potato salad":smiley31:

raxar
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm not into that kind of stuff

JVD
11-20-2010, 07:00 PM
microwave bacon is evil.

but fuck yeah, bacon is awesome. just had me some fried taters with bacon and onion for supper.

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm not into that kind of stuff

You must not be Pennsylvania Dutch. :)

slamfire51
11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Not healthy, but hot bacon drippings over fresh spinach is awesome.

raxar
11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
You must not be Pennsylvania Dutch. :)

3/8's PA dutch, but it's just genetic, my parents weren't "dutch" at all.

aliceinchains
11-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Peppers are needed with the bacon or i will boycott.

raxar
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Peppers are needed with the bacon or i will boycott.

blech

O.S.O.K.
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Bacon is supposed to be prepared in a cast iron skillet (well seasoned). Fried till crisp but not burnt or dried out. You then can properly prepare the eggs in the grease. These both go with the grits of course and some hot biscuits and coffee.

Mmmm.

Bacon is also great wrapped around chicken and jalepeno peppers with mozzarela cheese inside - lightly breaded and fried. White wings.

Oh, and how about wrapped around scallops and glazed with 1/2 katchup and 1/2 sugar mix - baked in the oven.

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
3/8's PA dutch, but it's just genetic, my parents weren't "dutch" at all.

Yeah...my grampa Wolf was full blood....they made all that German food themselves......bought very little from a store.

raxar
11-20-2010, 07:36 PM
local chinese place has it wrapped around pretend crab meat, those are good

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 07:41 PM
One of my favorite meals my mutter made was Rouladen.....it was a big piece of beef pounded then rolled up with bacon and pickles and other stuff....it was delicious.

blacksheep
11-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Its delicious...do a google search for "hot german potato salad":smiley31:

:wankers: J/K good stuff.:thumbspbig:

old Grump
11-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Peppers are needed with the bacon or i will boycott.Go ahead and boycott, more bacon for me. This is why bacon is the perfet food, it goes with just about anything you can think of or its good standing on its own. In camp I like to crunch it up and slip it into my scrambled eggs or crumble them and add to my mashed potatoes or just eat it like finger food as if it were a potato chip, only better.

alismith
11-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I like bacon all by itself, or wrapped around a hot dog. Yummmmm.

elkydriver
11-20-2010, 08:28 PM
One of my favorite meals my mutter made was Rouladen.....it was a big piece of beef pounded then rolled up with bacon and pickles and other stuff....it was delicious.

Rouladen is the shit. Get thin sliced sirloin, bacon, mustard, diced onions and pickles. season with paprika, salt and pepper. doesnt get any better than this.

Arnulf
11-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Rouladen is the shit. Get thin sliced sirloin, bacon, mustard, diced onions and pickles. season with paprika, salt and pepper. doesnt get any better than this.

Yeah....thats it.....makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :)

HDR
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
there is an apple smoked local bacon which is delicious...

No preservatives; so it doesn't last as long as store bought..

sisyphus
11-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Glad I stashed-away a dozen cans of that SHTF bacon. If I gotta die from something, it should be bacon. Rather die without it anyway.

Fry-up some bacon, cut-up some tomatoes and onions and then sautee them in the bacon drippings until the onions get carmelized. Add chopped bacon in with that and top with cheddar over scrambled eggs with buttered grits on the side.

HDR
11-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Muslims love shtf bacon.

old Grump
11-20-2010, 11:31 PM
If they were hungry enough and they were in a house where it was cooking you would find their veneer of religion pretty thin. It's only strong where it makes them look strong and powerful over those they consider weak and inferior.

Bacon overcomes all, bacon rules.

Goodman
11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
there is an apple smoked local bacon which is delicious...

No preservatives; so it doesn't last as long as store bought..
The restaurant I work in occasionally has something similar. Slabs of bacon hanging in the basement storage and every so often I come to work and have to wak through a giant cloud of applewood smoke. UN-believably good stuff. Chef gave me a half-inch thick chunk a few weeks back. The stuff will ruin ya to any other bacon.

slamfire51
11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Apple is a natural "go with" pork.

Great with chops.

BISHOP
11-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I made this a few years ago, and posted it on a few forums.

MY verson of the Bacon Bomb.

Weave bacon and cook (I did it in the oven)
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0114.jpg

Add scrambled eggs (with onion, garlic, and cheese) and sausage
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0116.jpg

Roll bacon around filling and pan fry to lock in place.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0117.jpg

Coat in batter
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0118.jpg

Deep fry
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0119.jpg

Cover with pepered white gravey with sausage.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0120.jpg

And enjoy with your favorite beer.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0121.jpg

I once saw something similar to this and thought to myself "how can I take this idea and go TOO FAR with it." This is what I came up with.

BISHOP

old Grump
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
At my age it wouldn't be taken with beer but with nitroglycerin tablets. Saw something similar on Frugals Forum and I copied it down but I don't have the guts to actually make it.

Goodman
11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Old, but someone has to post it in a thread like this:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/03/26/cooking-some-bacon-the-machine-gun-method/

Also, this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2009/05/bak47-the-gun-that-will-revolt-and-defeat-terrorists.html

alismith
11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
And enjoy with your favorite beer.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/bishop042/IMG_0121.jpg

BISHOP

Now, this reminds me of my favorite breakfast while I was in college. Only, we never tried it with food.:biggrin:

govnor
11-21-2010, 12:25 AM
I flip it over and over like an idiot. I'm going to try the "one flip" method. I like my bacon very crispy though.

I also love some hot German potato salad. The best recipe I've found is Bobby Flay's and it is F'ing awesome! I've made it several times:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/german-potato-salad-recipe/index.html

I usually half it and I don't do it on a grill...it's on a burner.

63DH8
11-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I like my bacon apple smoked, pan fried until it starts getting crispy. When I was in High School, my brother and I used to raise pigs. Best damned tasting pork I ever had!

swampdragon
11-21-2010, 01:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/0ff242d0.jpg

old Grump
11-21-2010, 01:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/0ff242d0.jpg
الله خير ، الله أكبر ، الحمد لحم الخنزير المقدد

swampdragon
11-21-2010, 01:53 AM
الله خير ، الله أكبر ، الحمد لحم الخنزير المقدد

God is good, God is great, thank bacon.

:laughingtohard:

old Grump
11-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Put your bacon slices into a bowl and cover with maple syrup. The thinner, more traditional style maple syrup is recommended because it’s less messy. Aunt Jemimah will work but then it isn’t Vermont style.

Work the bacon around to make sure all sides are coated then refrigerate for half an hour to soak up the syrup. Fry the bacon using the classic pan fry method. It's messier but the smell alone is worth it not even counting the taste.

Downside is everybody within smelling distance will insist on sharing it with you so make plenty. I would do it more often except for the cost of real Maple Syrup.

govnor
11-21-2010, 02:31 AM
They sell real maple syrup at Cracker Barrel. It's good!

old Grump
11-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Local producers sell it locally but production has been down the last few years. Not many young people getting into it because of the hard work involved for the money they can get for the product and the old timers are retiring or dying off.

govnor
11-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Sounds about right. They'll probably start making it in China.

blacksheep
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Sounds about right. They'll probably start making it in China.

With extra led to boot.:thumbspbig:

63DH8
11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/Allen63DH8/bacongrenade.jpg

swampdragon
11-21-2010, 07:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/e488c9a7.jpg

TEN-32
11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I may have posted these before, but this thread seems like a good place for a repost. Jalapenos, stuffed with chorizo, cheese and a date, wrapped with bacon and grilled.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8099/img0007vv.jpg

old Grump
11-22-2010, 05:15 AM
That looks like a good side dish for this casserole:

BREAD BACON CASSEROLE

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups milk, scalded
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2 packages active dry yeast, about 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup water, warmed to about 105°
1 egg, beaten
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Preparation:
Combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, and bacon drippings. Cool. Combine yeast, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and warmed water. When yeast mixture begins to foam, add to cooled milk mixture.

Add beaten egg, all purpose flour and whole wheat flour; beat for 3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise for 45 minutes.

Stir in bacon. Beat for 2 minutes then pour into a 2-quart casserole or two glass loaf pans about 9 x 5 x 3-inches. Let rise until batter reaches top of pan(s). Slash top diagonally a few times with a sharp knife.

Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes.

Gunner1558
11-22-2010, 04:35 PM

My grandmother used to make a 'wilted salad' .

I wasn't very old when she did it, but I think it was just a regular tossed salad with bacon bits, then a hot, Italian style dressing poured over it, causing the greens to lose their crispness.

printerman
11-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Perfect use of BACON , THE BACONATOR , aka : DEATH BY BACON !!!!

Full pound of bacon , burger , and grilled cheese sandwiches for buns !

Note : bring a babe for desert cause your going to die sometime throughout the night ...

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp241/printerman-photo/foody/20081013doublebaconfatty.jpg

swampdragon
11-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Note : bring a babe for desert cause your going to die sometime throughout the night ...

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp241/printerman-photo/foody/20081013doublebaconfatty.jpg

I have to admit...that looks GOOD!
I'd eat it for sure.
lol.....

old Grump
11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
30 years ago that would have been a good start, 20 years ago it would have been a days worth of eating, 10 years ago it would have lasted 3 days, today it would scare hell out of me.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I have to admit...that looks GOOD!
I'd eat it for sure.
lol.....

Looks delicious.
Thing is, I'm too old to die from that.
I'd rather have the babe and die from that. :1139png:

TEN-32
11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm doing the turkey on the grill Thursday. Typically, the breast sits higher than the thigh ( I use an indirect method) and gets done sooner. My solution to avoid a dry breast or undercooked thigh? Bacon. Under the skin on the breast.:lets-drink:

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 08:07 PM

..........................GUNSNET................. ................

THE MOST DANGEROUS FOOD DISCUSSION ON THE NET

old Grump
11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
..........................GUNSNET................. ................

THE MOST DANGEROUS FOOD DISCUSSION ON THE NET
The only Muslim proof food discussion on the net.

AKTexas
11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I have found cooking bacon in the oven works best.Cook it on a thick dark sheet pan set the oven to 400' put the bacon in before it heats.Crisp perfectly cooked pig every time.

TEN-32
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I've cooked it on a gas grill before. Good flavor but lots of flare ups.

Tx Dogblaster
11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Dove breasts sliced on each side of the breast bone with a slice of jalapeno in the slice wrapped in bacon and grilled... MMMmmmm Good stuff!!! About the best campfire meal you can have IMHO...

old Grump
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Speaking of oven baked bacon

Place heavy duty aluminum foil on a broiler tray.

Fold up all edges twice to make 1/2 inch walls to contain the grease.

Lay the slices alternatiing the ends to get more pieces on the tray.

Broiler tray should be placed on the rack in the middle of the oven.

Bake for 40 minutes at 375.

Pull out the tray, turn all slices over, cook another 10 minutes to brown the underside.

If they look brown enough remove, place on double paper towel and blot the excess grease with another.

I love it when it's done for me, I have trouble waiting in the kitchen 30 minutes let alone 50.

Tx Dogblaster
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Jumbo shrimp, butterflied with a slice of jalapeno & pepperjack cheese, wrapped in BACON, stacked on a skewer and grilled!!!!!

swampdragon
11-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I love it when it's done for me, I have trouble waiting in the kitchen 30 minutes let alone 50.

Yep.
At your age, every minute counts.
I'm surprised you don't just nuke everything.
:laugh:

old Grump
11-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Microwave gets replaced every couple of years but I also use the crock pot a lot and I bought the biggest oven I could fit into my kitchen space and it gets used a lot too. Things like the Vermont style bacon and the baked bacon are usually done with pancakes, waffles or French toast which means standing there and my back and legs don't let me do that as often as I like.

Last few months its affected my shooting too and the cold weather isn't helping. Still get my licks in whenever I can. Bacon on my mind but tonight was sloppy Joes, baked beans, (with bacon) and a tossed salad, keeping things simple for turkey day, doing the turkey in the crockpot so we can use the oven for the stuffing, sweet potatoes, pies etc.

Doing something really close to my heart like chili I just take an extra muscle relaxer and pain pill and grit my teeth for the duration.

printerman
11-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Discovery Channel , Wed. Nov. 24 , 10:00 pm Food Paradise (Bacon Episode)

TEN-32
11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Jumbo shrimp, butterflied with a slice of jalapeno & pepperjack cheese, wrapped in BACON, stacked on a skewer and grilled!!!!!

This is something I will definitely try. Although it violates the "don't mix cheese and fish" rule, there are a few exceptions and this sounds like one of them.

old Grump
11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
"don't mix cheese and fish" ruleAin't no such rule in these parts, have I mentioned that some call me a heathen, barbarian and other terms not quite as flattering as the first two when it comes to food. Got a ham, got Apricot jam we have a glaze and the fun begins as my mother says in horrified tones "You can't do that."

Got wine, got peppercorns, got a beef roast, you have a marinade. Mama turns white. Got a venison roast, got a can of coke, you have a marinade. Mama wants to run and hide. Mama wants to know what I did with her son and who am I?:wink:

TEN-32
11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
That all sounds A-OK to me grump.

JTHunter
11-24-2010, 01:16 AM
When I was a kid, my Mom used to make what she called "caboose potatoes". We kids would peel and slice several potatoes into "disks", rinse a couple of times, then wrap in a clean towel to dry them.
Meanwhile, Mom would be frying up the bacon and chopping the onion. After the bacon was done, she would set it aside to cool, then crumble it up for later. She dumped the 'taters in the bacon grease and started frying them up. When nearly done, she added the chopped onions then the crumbled bacon. When done, she scooped the 'taters out onto a paper towel to drain, then served them up with the rest of supper.:smiley31:

TEN-32
11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ