PDA

View Full Version : be-careful when using chemical cleaning agents like brake cleaners around heat

AK_Apostle
11-21-2010, 08:51 AM
very scary, important to read the whole article.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Integratedj
11-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Just to add to that, Do not wear Contact lenses around some one that is welding, and especially do not look at the welds in process.
We had a safety memo at work a few years ago that accompanied the story you just posted. One of our guys was working on a commercial site where some one was welding. He was wearing contact lenses and looked at the welding when he was close to the guy. Didn't feel anything out of the ordinary until he tried to take his contact lenses out later that night. They had fused themselves to his eyes and he ended up with severe damage.

abpt1
11-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Just to add to that, Do not wear Contact lenses around some one that is welding, and especially do not look at the welds in process.
We had a safety memo at work a few years ago that accompanied the story you just posted. One of our guys was working on a commercial site where some one was welding. He was wearing contact lenses and looked at the welding when he was close to the guy. Didn't feel anything out of the ordinary until he tried to take his contact lenses out later that night. They had fused themselves to his eyes and he ended up with severe damage.
^ good to know !

AK_Apostle
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks, that's very important information. I will be sure to pass it along to my welding friends and family members who work in factories.

Blacksmith
11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I’ve never heard of the contact thing before. Good to know. thanks.
BTW
It’s not just ark welding that can mess up your eye site.
Working around any glowing steel you have to be cautious. Or you will mess yourself up.
When looking for color changes as in forging, hardening or drawing back., I just look under my dark glasses for a glance at it. If you stare at it, it would have the same effect as staring into the sun.

davepool
11-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I use non-clorinated brake cleaner to remove grease and oils from my guns when i do a complete tear down.It's never near a heat source and always in a well ventilated area,but after reading this i think i'll just stick to good old Hoppes #9

swampdragon
11-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Good advice.

Oh....
And never let Krupski instruct you on the use of snow-blowers either.