PDA

View Full Version : What To Do, What To Do II

American Rage
11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I will be purchasing my first home soon.

Originally, I'd plan to live where I'm at a little longer, and save a bunch of money. I figured a year from now I'd have a nice chunk of change to put down on a home. Unfortunately, I suspect that the mortgage rates will soon rise. And that fact tells me it might be cheaper to move on a home now.

The problem is that I can't decide how much home to buy. I can purchase a small to medium brick home in my area for between 75-100K. Or I can wait for the right home to come along in the 90-110K range, 6-10 miles away, and live on an acre where I could grow my own food and have my own water, if necessary. Note I would be 10-16 miles away from work in a vehicle that averages 16 mpg in the city.

I make $36k a year, but I only take home $1950 after all taxes, insurance payments and retirement funds are met, and the college loans are paid for. I have no car payment and no credit card debt. I'm single and have no child support payments. I'm also very frugal.

Do you think I can swing a payment of $800-900 for home, insurance, tax, and mortgage insurance premium? (Actually, if I buy a home for 80% or less of its actual value, I won't have to pay an mip saving me around a $100 a month.)

How about when inflation hits?

Naturally, my fuel costs will rise, and I'll have to have a riding mower as well, plus the additional house payments and such. But I'd at least own land enough for a garden and a chicken coop if things get that bad.

Still, it seems like a lot of money to me. And I keep telling myself that I'm investing in a home instead of a bank. On the other hand, I could get a smaller city home, without the land, and use the extra cash to stockpile cans forever.

What say you? I need some honest advice.

Cheaper home means more cash for cans vs. more expensive home with a water well, garden and coop potential ?

I'm leaning toward the garden and coop knowing that regardless of which home I purchase, I lose it if I lose my job. But first, I need to convince myself that I can in fact pay for the larger home when utilities "skyrocket." Even then, in the country home a woodburning stove is entirely feasible once the money is saved.

Rage

Gunreference1
11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Rage, as a first time home owner you should be able to qualify for an FHA type loan. This includes a minimum down payment. I also recommend going with a traditional 30 year loan. I & my wife did this just over 10 years ago through the state of Colorado (CHFA) and are very happy. The monthly payment includes principle, interest, taxes and insurance. Everything is taken care of with one payment each month. Talk to various local lenders. Any make sure your credit history is clean. I recommend going to AnnualCreditReport.com (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp) to get a free copy. Just my $0.02.

Steve

American Rage
11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I know that it sounds like the last one, quite a bit. But I think I've found a country home that I'm going to bid on tomorrow. And I'm getting anxious as hell.

It's 1700 sq ft, on an acre, it has a new roof, a new heater, new air, and new hot water heater. It needs minimal work, like screens, some vinyl siding, one cracked window, interior paint and new flooring. The real estate agent told me there would be multiple bidders. So we'll see.

Still, I can imagine paying so much for a home. However, I hear 1 bedroom apartments around here run $500 now. Suddenly, 800-900 doesn't seem so bad.

Rage

American Rage
11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
My credit scores are 719, 734, and 756.

Rage

ubersoldate
11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
As someone in the same boat 6 mos ago, I would suggest go for it.
Do not over extend, do not let emotions get involved. Your a smart guy, Im sure you are going to get a nice little spot!

Suprisingly I have something good to say about owning property today, as I just shoveled 100m, 2-3ft deep, of my driveway so I can go to work tomorrow!

Does the house have country or city water and sewer? Power? County roads for plowing when need be?

American Rage
11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
As someone in the same boat 6 mos ago, I would suggest go for it.
Do not over extend, do not let emotions get involved. Your a smart guy, Im sure you are going to get a nice little spot!

Suprisingly I have something good to say about owning property today, as I just shoveled 100m, 2-3ft deep, of my driveway so I can go to work tomorrow!

Does the house have country or city water and sewer? Power? County roads for plowing when need be?

Natural gas heating and cooking, city water but a defunct well is also on the property, paved roads and paved county as well.

Rage

Gunreference1
11-21-2010, 04:31 PM
A condition of my loan, since it involved the FHA, required a formal inspection that we had to pay for. This helped to insure we weren't walking into a money pit. This also forced to seller to correct any existing issues at their expense prior to closing the deal. Whatever house you end up buying you will eventually go through the closing process. Typically the buyer, seller, loan officer and a title company representative are present. The title company is there to make sure there are no outstanding liens or legal issues with the property involved. You'll end up signing a lot of papers before everything is all done.

Steve

American Rage
11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
A condition of my loan, since it involved the FHA, required a formal inspection that we had to pay for. This helped to insure we weren't walking into a money pit. This also forced to seller to correct any existing issues at their expense prior to closing the deal. Whatever house you end up buying you will eventually go through the closing process. Typically the buyer, seller, loan officer and a title company representative are present. The title company is there to make sure there are no outstanding liens or legal issues with the property involved. You'll end up signing a lot of papers before everything is all done.

Steve

Yes, I know. But I don't think that will be a problem.

Rage