PDA

View Full Version : Eye opening experience with the Saiga .308

F-16 CHIEF
11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow. Nothing else to say really.

I had a friend who converted one. What an amazing weapon. Lighter than a FAL. Recoil is nothing.

I could hit a 4 inch by 6 inch plate with open sights at 150 yards all day long with this thing. I can't see real good, so that's pretty amazing for me.

I'm just very impressed with one. If you haven't tried one, I reccomend it.

Other than possibly the difference between the barrel length, it would go with me before my FAL. Sad to say, but it's true.

swampdragon
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow. Nothing else to say really.

I had a friend who converted one. What an amazing weapon. Lighter than a FAL. Recoil is nothing.

I could hit a 4 inch by 6 inch plate with open sights at 150 yards all day long with this thing. I can't see real good, so that's pretty amazing for me.

I'm just very impressed with one. If you haven't tried one, I reccomend it.

Other than possibly the difference between the barrel length, it would go with me before my FAL. Sad to say, but it's true.

I'd love to try one.
But I struggle now with 308 ammo prices for my slow to shoot bolt rifle.
I'd be broke in no time with one of those!
lol....

hazmat
11-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the Club Chief! My S308 is an absolute dream to shoot. Of course, with an AMD brake on it, it's not much fun for anyone else standing near me...

hazmat
11-21-2010, 10:35 PM
I was just checking Big Green's website, and according to them, they don't offer the BDL left handed. Or in .308 for that matter. I guess they need to update their website.

Charliebravo
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
The only issue I have with the S308 is magazine price/availability. Somebody was converting them to use M14 mags a few years back. If I could find one of those, it would be alright.....although I can't imagine it doing any more than my HK91. Plus, I've got 100 mags for the HK that cost me $.99/each.

jet3534
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Got one this weekend at a VA gun show. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

videodon
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
...now you're making me have regrets about selling mine!
:)
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/videodon/S-308a.jpg

FunkyPertwee
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I remember hearing that the 16 inch barrels shot batter than the longs one. Any truth to that statement?

I think it had to do with barrel whip on the long ones.

DeadPool
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
It really is a beast of a weapon. I did a conversion last year on mine and love it even more now. The only thing about mine is that it does not like weak ass wolf ammo. Wolf just doesnt have enough oomff to cycle the bolt properly. instead of ejecting the shells, they just kinda fall down the side of the weapon instead of flying out like they should. and a few times it caused a malfunction. You would think A Russian gun would like Russian ammo. Sadly this is not the case. Then again my hammer sits pretty high inside the reciever which causes some drag on cycling, im assuming. But still, I dont think it should be that much of an issue.

DeadPool
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh yea, there it is in my avatar. I dont think you can get the FBMG mags anymore. Any body know why? Those surefires are ugly!

AKTexas
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh yea, there it is in my avatar. I dont think you can get the FBMG mags anymore. Any body know why? Those surefires are ugly!

I think FBMG went out of business.These mags caused them some real grief.

matshock
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
It's #1 on my wish list. I would covert it, put a dog leg rail on it and a Super Sniper for use as a DMR.

I'd rather have a S308 than a SCAR-17 or a PTR.

DeadPool
11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
It's #1 on my wish list. I would covert it, put a dog leg rail on it and a Super Sniper for use as a DMR.

I'd rather have a S308 than a SCAR-17 or a PTR.

Get the 16" barrel. OSOK is very knowledgable in the conversion process. Its really easy though. But if you have any questions i would ask him.

hazmat
11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I was just checking Big Green's website, and according to them, they don't offer the BDL left handed. Or in .308 for that matter. I guess they need to update their website.

Oops! That was supposed to be on another thread about Remy 700s.

Now, as to ammo issues in my S308, I use SA .308 and Chinese .308/7.62x51 mil-surp and though it doesn't kick 'em out like a standard AK does (like 30' from the rifle) it does kick 'em out nonetheless close to where I'm shooting. Makes picking up the brass cased stuff that much easier.