PDA

View Full Version : Securing door with window?

Cypher
11-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Any ideas on what to do with a door that has a window other than use a laminate or a double cylinder deadbolt?

I will probably go with a double cylinder deadbolt and just hang a key somewhere near the door in case of a fire or something but are there any other options for a windowed door?

I like the idea of using a laminate but everywhere I have seen it would cost several hudred dollars just to laminated a few doors.

swampdragon
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Replace the damn door with something more security conscious and stop watching all the foo foo design shows on TV.

deth502
11-22-2010, 02:01 AM
if the door has 1/4" tempered glass, it can be replaced with 1/4" steel plate.

if its 3/4" insulated glass, it can be replaced with 3/4" steel plate.

the 3/4" has a better balistic resistance. both are fireproof to over 2400 deg F.

Oswald Bastable
11-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Any ideas on what to do with a door that has a window other than use a laminate or a double cylinder deadbolt?

I will probably go with a double cylinder deadbolt and just hang a key somewhere near the door in case of a fire or something but are there any other options for a windowed door?

I like the idea of using a laminate but everywhere I have seen it would cost several hudred dollars just to laminated a few doors.

Yup, double cylinder if you can't afford to replace the door. Our front door has glass panes in the upper half, came with a double cylinder deadbolt already installed. If you're going to hang a key near it, make sure it's far enough away that someone breaking one of the panes can't reach in and find/feel it.

00RedZX-6R
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
THe point is really mute unless you have both the hinges and lock area reinforced. Why worry about breaking the glass when you can just boot it in.

crapshoot
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Plywood.

FunkyPertwee
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Plywood.

I that was normally reserved until the zombies show up. Or a hurricane.

abpt1
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.vaultdoors.net/

Moebrown20
11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
It would depend on what size window your door has.

My front door is 75% glass, so to modify it is useless to me.

You can build a tray that can house a steel plate for added peace of mind.

old Grump
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
External steel bar door.

http://www.ralenti.co.nz/products/axon004.html

El Laton Caliente
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm going to build / install "barn door" type storm shutters for all the windows I may do the doors also. I'm thinking 3" hardwood with heavy iron bracing.

AK_Apostle
11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Even a steel piece wont stop a perp from knocking it out unless the area around the window is supper strong.

If the door can be made flat by removing window moldings I would go to a steel supplier and have them cut two pieces of 16 GA steel the size of the door and have them bend flanges the thickness of the door on the top and bottom, you can run screws through the flanges into the door and use liquid nails to glue the 16 ga steel to the door. If they can get through 16 ga they probably have the right tools to get through thicker steel too.

Reinforcing the door jamb is also necessary so they can't Jack the jambs apart.

Arnulf
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Replace the door with a steel door.

deth502
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
forget about reinforcing the glass. i got 2 words fer 'ya.

guard sasquaches!!

Moebrown20
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I did clone bigfoot, so I could sell ya one if needed.

HDR
11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Replace the door with a steel door.

Be sure the door's framing is strong enough to withstand a stout kick.

HDR
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
A mean ass dog saying hello through the window works quite well also.

I've had Dobes who could keep some people from ringing the doorbell. LOL