PDA

View Full Version : 47 Years of Flame

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Today marks the 47th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination.
46 + years of a memorial flame honoring him. It may be a small flame, but 47 years.....enough.
How much has this cost the American taxpayer??

IMO, it's time to extinguish this flame to save taxpayers money.

aliceinchains
11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I had enough gas come out of my ass today to light that fucker another 47 years.

AKTexas
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe they buried him face down and ass up with a pipe stuck in his ass to keep the steady flow of gas to light the flame.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 08:46 PM
I had enough gas come out of my ass today to light that fucker another 47 years.

Watch your ass. Gore may cap it.

Kadmos
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
How much has this cost the American taxpayer??

At $200 a month. Around $110,000

Much less than the 2 million to build the grave in the first place.

Probably a lot less than the guys walking back and forth in front of the Tomb of the Unknown.

Some things are worth it.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
At $200 a month. Around $110,000

Much less than the 2 million to build the grave in the first place.

Probably a lot less than the guys walking back and forth in front of the Tomb of the Unknown.

Some things are worth it.

IMO, it's not.

I could see it if the memorial were for him being a WWll Vet, but NOT for being a President.

Kadmos
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
IMO, it's not.

I could see it if the memorial were for him being a WWll Vet, but NOT for being a President.

Good thing he was both then I suppose.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Good thing he was both then I suppose.

Vet yes, Pres., no.
The only good thing he did was to challenge NASA to get a man on the moon by 1970.
The other things he did is debatable as to whether he did any good for the country.

Cuban missile crisis..............most any competent man could have done the same.
Jack should have thanked his lucky stars the Soviet Union didn't call his bluff.

Kadmos
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Jack should have thanked his lucky stars the Soviet Union didn't call his bluff.

I feel the same about Reagan.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
I feel the same about Reagan.

I see I brought out the Dem in you.
Sorry for exposing you.

swampdragon
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm not aware of a single damned thing Kennedy ever did to deserve such hoopla.
I agree with Slamfire.

alismith
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Kennedy's flame represents more than just a monument to honor him. The flame represents the hope of things to come, the saddness of things that end too soon and snuff out the potential greatness that lies in all of us and in our country. It represents a legacy that went unfulfilled, but is still there for others to achieve. It represents the idea that hope and promise for a better tomorrow can't be stopped by one man's actions (conspriacy theories aside).

I think the flame should be kept lit as it represents all of us.

Kennedy may have been an ass (I don't know, and don't really care), but it's the image he protrayed that's important. That image was of an America that had the promise of a new beginning and that's what that flame represents.

As far as the money to keep it lit, I'm sure 99.9% of all the things the government funds is far more wasteful than that flame.

slamfire51
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I think Kennedy's flame represents more than just a monument to honor him. The flame represents the hope of things to come, the saddness of things that end too soon and snuff out the potential greatness that lies in all of us and in our country. It represents a legacy that went unfulfilled, but is still there for others to achieve. It represents the idea that hope and promise for a better tomorrow can't be stopped by one man's actions (conspriacy theories aside).

I think the flame should be kept lit as it represents all of us.

Kennedy may have been an ass (I don't know, and don't really care), but it's the image he protrayed that's important. That image was of an America that had the promise of a new beginning and that's what that flame represents.

As far as the money to keep it lit, I'm sure 99.9% of all the things the government funds is far more wasteful than that flame.

If you don't know much about him or care, why defend what the memorial stands for?
As I previously said, there's only one thing he did that merits recognition.
I don't see what it represents has helped the country's past and present situations. Kind of gives false or at best, perceived hope.

How many people today know it even exists?

Kadmos
11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I see I brought out the Dem in you.
Sorry for exposing you.

Not so much that, I can get people growing up under the Cuban missile thing thinking maybe JFK was a madman, I wasn't there, I came up more under Reagan, I imagine the feeling was much the same.

slamfire51
11-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Not so much that, I can get people growing up under the Cuban missile thing thinking maybe JFK was a madman, I wasn't there, I came up more under Reagan, I imagine the feeling was much the same.

I was 10ish when the missile crisis occurred, and remember the fear in my parents and the country's preparation for war.
A neighbor went as far as bid a fallout shelter under their house. In the years following, it was a cool place to play.

A time in history that sticks in my memory for sure.

alismith
11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
If you don't know much about him or care, why defend what the memorial stands for?
As I previously said, there's only one thing he did that merits recognition.
I don't see what it represents has helped the country's past and present situations. Kind of gives false or at best, perceived hope.

How many people today know it even exists?

What I meant by, "I don't know much about him," was that a lot of things have come out since he died and I never followed what that was all about. As far as I was concerned, he was the first President that I was old enough to understand a little about him and the political process. I was in 10th grade when he was assignated and I felt that that was a truly bad thing to happen.

That flame represents a lot more than just a memorial to him. It represents the feelings of the times in which he, and many of us, lived. It was placed on his grave for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. I don't feel that torch should be extinguished for any reason. It stands for all AMericans who lived through that event.

As far as many alive today don't even know that it exists, there are a lot of things that many of us older Americans know that is no longer taught in schools today. It's sad, but that's life.

I'm sure that flame doesn't cost anywhere near as much to maintain as one Momma and 6 semi-related offspring costs the taxpayers. I'd sooner pay to keep that flame going than pay for some ghetto-whore to pop babies out and get paid for it.

stevelyn
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Vet yes, Pres., no.
The only good thing he did was to challenge NASA to get a man on the moon by 1970.
The other things he did is debatable as to whether he did any good for the country.

Cuban missile crisis..............most any competent man could have done the same.

He understood the evil of the Feral Reserve and how it was going to eventually break us................like it is now. He was about to abolish it and pay them off when he was whacked. As for the rest of the Kennedy clan........... they should be fertilizer in a potato patch.

mriddick
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I've been the McKinley monument, the Harding memorial, the Lincoln memorial, Grants Tomb and a few others. All these things cost money but at the same time they normally double as a park too so "we" get something besides just a memorial (isn't JFK's already at Arlington?). If his flame only runs about $200/month to operate I'd say that's a bargain compared to what the up keep on some places like the harding memorial cost.

PROBASCO
11-25-2010, 01:12 AM
AND I agree with Kadmos, how did that happen? maybe he is right this time!

PROBASCO
11-25-2010, 01:20 AM
kennedy did sign an order to disolve the federal reserve, even if it was never enforced because he was shot, i would support the flame for that alone, but toss in the ww2 service and managing to get elected president which is no easy task, then getting your head blown to little pieces for your effort, yeah, i support the flame. $110k over 47 yrs divided by how many taxpayers comes out to $0.0000003 per person?

justinsaneok
11-25-2010, 01:41 AM
He understood the evil of the Feral Reserve and how it was going to eventually break us................like it is now. He was about to abolish it and pay them off when he was whacked. As for the rest of the Kennedy clan........... they should be fertilizer in a potato patch.

Ditto and he didn't like the idea of a 1 world government from what he said in his speeches anyway. It might be why he's dead.