PDA

View Full Version : WAS THE M1 GARAND EN-BLOC CLIP A TERRIBLE IDEA?

Gunreference1
12-25-2023, 01:25 PM
https://www.thearmorylife.com/was-the-m1-garand-en-bloc-clip-a-terrible-idea/?utm_campaign=The%20Armory%20Life&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=287771994&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9vRS7SJGLZ3mUQNzwjF55Lh-oNQ5tzBzsfaFLZMK4HdZghmrYRPMRwxfew9owfNvt1inU-zqRw5kVl9nJ7m7vFMiM8Vw&utm_content=287531163&utm_source=hs_email

Steve

NAPOTS
12-25-2023, 02:54 PM
I have a garand but I haven't shot it extensively, probably only 300 ish rounds through it.

I am a fan of the rifle overall but not of the loading mechanism. I'd echo the complaints in the article. The clips are a pain to load themselves with loose rounds, they are akward to load into the rifle itself, you can't really top off a partially loaded magazine, and if you shoot more than a couple of rounds from one and hit the mag release it will barf out the loose rounds and clip.

If they didn't want to go with a detachable magazine I don't know why they didn't just use stripper clips. you could have 2 4 round stripper clips to load it quickly and top it off if needed. The mauser and sks come to mind as well as many other rifles. I understand the M14 was designed to be loaded in the manner if you wanted to top off a mag.