PDA

View Full Version : Private arsenal based on logic ....

printerman
11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
If you had cash and you needed to supply yourself with a personal cache of guns what and why would be your choice.

Everyday carry ? ...and Backup ?

Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ?

Silent apocalypse , general mayhem , food gatherer ?

Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ?

Home protection for wife and children while away ?

Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ?

Fun plinker ?

.....my thoughts were to have a basic group of guns from each category such as , shotgun , high powered rifle , plinker , revolver , small back-up gun , handgun auto-loader , AR or AK , and backyard silent game gatherer ....

O.S.O.K.
11-24-2010, 11:38 AM
This belongs in the survival forum.

imanaknut
11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
So moved.

:)

American Rage
11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
If you had cash and you needed to supply yourself with a personal cache of guns what and why would be your choice.

1. Everyday carry ?
2....and Backup ?

3. Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ?

4. Silent apocalypse ,
5. general mayhem ,
6. food gatherer ?

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ?

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ?

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ?

Fun plinker ?

.....my thoughts were to have a basic group of guns from each category such as , shotgun , high powered rifle , plinker , revolver , small back-up gun , handgun auto-loader , AR or AK , and backyard silent game gatherer ....

1 Glock 19
2 Glock 26
3 Riot Shotgun 20 ga so boys, females, and in time old men can use it
4 22 with silencer
5 AR/Ak
6 12 gauge shotgun, 12 is for higher hit probability
7. 30-30
8 Keltec sub 2000 that takes Glock magazines
9. 7mm Remington magnum

NOTE #s 5, 7, and 9 can all be replaced with an M1A.
Also: If you decide to go with a single gauge, you can buy an 870 and prep it for both hunting and defense.

Rage

American Rage
11-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally, I have it down to 4 calibers and gauges.

9mm for personal defense
12 Gauge for self defense of home and murderin' tasty birds.
223 for when the shtf and big game
22lr for smaller critters and practice

I can go it with what I've got. Still, I'd like to have a 9mm carbine and a 9mm hideout, and a hunting shotgun.

Rage

American Rage
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
With a little further thought.

I think a Glock 19, Glock 26, Sub 2000, M1A, 870 in 20 gauge, and a quality 22lr would make a great mini arsenal.

Rage

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
GE Minigun.

For all of the above.

O.S.O.K.
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
If need be, I could get by with a Ruger GP100 (.357 Mag).

But, being the enthusiast that I am, I have multiple answers to each category of need.

The collection serves a purpose well beyond use though.

But if you want "ideal" for each...

1. Everyday carry ? Glock 18
2....and Backup ? Extra Mags

3. Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ? Full Auto mini Uzi 9mm

4. Silent apocalypse , supressor for the Uzi
5. general mayhem , Full Auto AKM
6. food gatherer ? 10-22 with supressor

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ? Current Savage bolt gun in 30-06

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ? Another mini Uzi with supressor

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ? Barret 50

raxar
11-24-2010, 10:06 PM
hmm, shall I go with what I'd prefer or what I have?

what I have

1. Everyday carry ? Taurus 85 DAO
2....and Backup ? prayer?

3. Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ? Mossberg Maverick 88 20" 8 shot

4. Silent apocalypse , what's a silent apocalypse?
5. general mayhem , Sar 2
6. food gatherer ? Savage MK II

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ? Marlin xl7

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ? neither of either, so maverick

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ? Marlin XL7, or Stevens 200, six of one half dozen of the other between those two

aliceinchains
11-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Chemical weapons , ingest a can of baked bean along with hot peppers and you will be good for 20 paces for any foe.

JTHunter
11-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Hhmm - good question.
For HD/SD, I have 4 choices: a .38 Special, a .380 backup, a 12 ga. SxS (double trigger), and an AK47.
For hunting, the same 12 ga., a Ruger .22LR/Mag convertible, a 10/22, a .22 Mag rifle, and a .243 for up to deer-sized game.
For general mayhem, the AK and the 10/22 (esp. when using the 30 & 50 rd. mags).
Long distance? Only the .243 and then only 300 yds. (400 - 500 if I just want them to duck).
Fun plinker? Any of the .22's - LR or Mag. AK is a bit expensive but emptying that 40 rd. banana as fast as possible is a HOOT! :wildshooter:

arcangel
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Everyday carry, Glock 19, backup 2 mags on me and 2 in the car. Deliveries to ghettos suck. Or USP.45 Tac.

Silent Apocalypse, everything I have except the Remy 700 SPS is threaded but Michigan doesnt allow.

Mayhem, S&W M&P15 T w, Acog. DPMS LR308 AP4 w, 3.5x10x40mm Leupy.

Hunting, Remington 700 SPS Tac in 308 w, 4.5x14x50mm Leupy.

Everything in rifles that I have right now is favored towards DMR. Being a menace from a far is best post SHTF.

swampdragon
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
This belongs in the survival forum.

Oh sure.
Make "me" deal with it.
Thanks Buddy ol' Pal....

:laugh:

AKTexas
11-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh sure.
Make "me" deal with it.
Thanks Buddy ol' Pal....

:laugh:

What is the matter?You don't want printer in your house?

swampdragon
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Everyday carry, Glock 19, backup 2 mags on me and 2 in the car. Deliveries to ghettos suck. Or USP.45 Tac.

Silent Apocalypse, everything I have except the Remy 700 SPS is threaded but Michigan doesnt allow.

Mayhem, S&W M&P15 T w, Acog. DPMS LR308 AP4 w, 3.5x10x40mm Leupy.

Hunting, Remington 700 SPS Tac in 308 w, 4.5x14x50mm Leupy.

Everything in rifles that I have right now is favored towards DMR. Being a menace from a far is best post SHTF.

I really wish many times I had bought the TAC instead of just the Standard USP .45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNgMkxzeQNE

ubersoldate
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow printerman has a good question and not another thread with pics with his bubba'd AK?

Good question for this forum!

There are many who think that one rifle, or pistol is the only way.
I think that my safe is a tool box..
Protection pistols, long distance rifles, semi auto mid range rifles, shotguns, military surplus bolts and oddities for fun and even a few collectables...

There is no ONE gun for everything!

swampdragon
11-30-2010, 10:50 PM
What is the matter?You don't want printer in your house?

I'm just teasin'.
This is actually an interesting subject honestly.
I have no prob hosting the thread.
All members are always welcome any time...except spammers...lol

swampdragon
11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Wow printerman has a good question and not another thread with pics with his bubba'd AK?

Protection pistols, long distance rifles, semi auto mid range rifles, shotguns, military surplus bolts and oddities for fun and even a few collectables...

Yep.
I agree.
Printerman started a good one this time.
:thumbsup:

Partisan1983
12-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Don't you mean "armory" ????

Arsenal is where they make small arms, not store 'em ;)

FunkyPertwee
12-01-2010, 12:45 AM
If I had to ditch all my guns but one pistol, rifle and shotgun, it would be:

XD-9
Mossberg 590
SAR-1

swampdragon
12-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Don't you mean "armory" ????

Arsenal is where they make small arms, not store 'em ;)

Definition of ARSENAL
a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arsenal

Partisan1983
12-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Definition of ARSENAL
a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arsenal

Definition of ARMORY (from the same source) ;)

a : a supply of arms for defense or attack b : a collection of available resources
: a place where arms and military equipment are stored; especially : one used for training reserve military personnel

In other words...this is why double speak is so prevelent today......1+1=3, and you will agree, once you hear/read it enough.......

swampdragon
12-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Definition of ARMORY (from the same source) ;)

a : a supply of arms for defense or attack b : a collection of available resources
: a place where arms and military equipment are stored; especially : one used for training reserve military personnel

In other words...this is why double speak is so prevelent today......1+1=3, and you will agree, once you hear/read it enough.......

That's why I didn't say you were wrong.
I was just pointing out that P'man wasn't wrong either.
lol.
The English language is funny.

L1A1Rocker
12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
OK, I guess I'll play as it's late and I'm drunk.

Stainless Steel Series 80 Colt .45 officers ACP w/one extra mag. I'd LIKE to have an AMT .45 Backup as a "backup".

This is several different scenarios in one. Things that go bump in the night? My afore mentioned officers ACP plus my wife's S&W bodyguard. For mob: My AK's, 300 BLK, and Mossberg 300A.

Silent apocalypse ,
My suppressed MkII .22, suppressed 300 BLK, and suppressed 96-22. I'd LIKE a suppressor for my P-14

general mayhem ,
My FAL rifles. I'd LIKE a full auto MAC 10, Uzi, M-16, 300 BLK, or FAL. Hell, I'd love a Ma Duce!

food gatherer ?
My 96-22

My Mauser 8mm. I'd LIKE a Sako Finnbear in 308 or a Rimington 700.

Her S&W 38 Bodyguard.

Long distance sniper ,
My suppressed Mauser 308. I'd LIKE a 338 Lapua Mag.

disturber type mayhem ?
My AK's with 75 rd mags. I'd LIKE a full auto 1919

Fun plinker ?
My suppressed 96-22, or my AMT lighting.

Partisan1983
12-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Gotcha......I thought I was missing something (that's what I get for working all three shifts the last two weeks)

macddesign
12-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Everyday carry kel-tec= pf9 ...and Backup another= kel-tec pf9

Overall home protection= saiga 12 sbs

Silent apocalypse , general mayhem , food gatherer= supressed 22lr ar-15 carbine

Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times = ar-10

Home protection for wife and children while away=remington 870 21inch barrel exstended mag tube

Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem = Barret 98b .338 lapua

Fun plinker Yugo m92 sbr with happy switch

AKTexas
12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm just teasin'.
This is actually an interesting subject honestly.
I have no prob hosting the thread.
All members are always welcome any time...except spammers...lol

HA!You have sympathy for the man?I'm just waiting for his ninjaAK47 to show up any moment.

swampdragon
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
HA!You have sympathy for the man?I'm just waiting for his ninjaAK47 to show up any moment.

I don't think P'man is a bad guy.
I find some of his posts "entertaining."
lol....

Mark Ducati
12-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Uber, I really like the way you think... a tool box is a great way to think of your guns as they can serve different purposes, so maybe a better question might be to try and define those situations and which weapon might best suit that situation?

Here's a few scenarios and weapons I might choose to use:

1) Everyday CCW - 1911 45 ACP
2) Home Defense for the Bump in the Night noise - 12ga Shotgun with reduced recoil #1 Buck
3) Handgun kept in an Automobile if you ever had mechanical problems and were stranded, change ammo every 6 months regardless - Something stainless steel like a .38SPC or .357 handgun, I've even heard of an el cheapo Moison for a trunk gun.
4) Zombies/Gangs are roaming the neighborhood and suppression of a small crowd is necessary - Full Auto M15 or AK (Legal NFA or illegally converted with a hacksaw Lightning Link, or the string trick, at least know how to bumpfire).
5) UN Take Over and as a "Wolverine" you need to take out a vehicle - Anything 50BMG :) (Semi auto best, single bolt next with a box mag, single chamber loader last)
6) Same "wolverine" needs to snipe an official - .308 or 30-06 scoped weapon of choice
7) Local hunting of small game to not draw too much attention - Ruger 10/22 with subsonic ammo (birds/rodents/cats/dogs).
8) Bigger game for big meat like Deer/Bear - yes .22LR will work with shot placement, but I'd prefer a good old 30/30... or the .308/30-06
9) A group of neighbors has blocked off their neighborhood with their SUV's... the criminals are roaming in gangs too with their vehicles, need to defend the entrance.... - Full Auto for the boys up front, me on top of the hill, I want a scoped .308.
10) Zombie Apocolypse like Resident Evil and nomatic wandering is essential... carry as much ammo as you can... .223 and .22LR are lighter than 7.62x39 and 9mm.
11) Back up support... need idiot proof weapons for your aunt and grandma to be able to shoot in SHTF. Revolvers with no safety and slide are great for women. Inexperienced shooters will appreciate less recoil of a .38SPC/.22LR/9mm over magnums and ACP.
12) When the SHTF and folks want to borrow/take your stuff... how about giving them a cheap weapon with some ammo in trade for food or whatever you want/need? Give them a $140 Highpoint Handgun and some aluminum cased Blazer ammo? For $400 bucks, you can have two bricks, er... I mean cheap pistols and cheap ammo as a back up for trade for something.

These were all just off the top of my head... but that's how I think about things when I buy a weapon... first is the cool factor and do I already have one or not... but part of the equation is what roll or use can this tool serve. And those were just the weapons... how about sights? Iron? IF an EMP blast wipes out your AimPoint, do you have BUIS? Scopes, if the UN takes over and there's a curfew and you need to hunt nocturnally for cover... do you have an illuminated reticle on your scope or tritium? Night Vision? Just some things to think about.

I've got just about every roll/use covered that I can think of...

AKTexas
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't think P'man is a bad guy.
I find some of his posts "entertaining."
lol....

Entertaining like a hole in the head lol.

circuits
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
shotgun , high powered rifle , plinker , revolver , small back-up gun , handgun auto-loader , AR or AK , and backyard silent game gatherer ....

shotgun - 12ga High Standard pump
high powered rifle - single shot .50, FALs, PTR91, Mausers
plinker - .22 M16 and some .22 handguns and a 10/22
revolver - just the .22s
small back-up gun - keltec p11, G26
handgun auto-loader - variety of 1911s, Glocks, a Ruger, Berettas
AR or AK - bout a dozen
backyard silence - one of the .22s with a can on it

HDR
12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
hmm, shall I go with what I'd prefer or what I have?

what I have

1. Everyday carry ? Taurus 85 DAO
2....and Backup ? prayer?

3. Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ? Mossberg Maverick 88 20" 8 shot

4. Silent apocalypse , what's a silent apocalypse?
5. general mayhem , Sar 2
6. food gatherer ? Savage MK II

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ? Marlin xl7

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ? neither of either, so maverick

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ? Marlin XL7, or Stevens 200, six of one half dozen of the other between those two

You probably carry them all. LOL

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
9mm handgun.
12 gauge shotgun.
.270 hunting rifle.
I like my AKM’s and other military style guns. but when all is said and done, they just don’t make the cut.

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 02:26 AM
9mm handgun.
12 gauge shotgun.
.270 hunting rifle.
I like my AKM’s and other military style guns. but when all is said and done, they just don’t make the cut.

Which ones of those guns goes with which question number?
:conf44:

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM

They cover them all.
Which question are you thinking of ?

Paladin
12-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Silent apocalypse , general mayhem , food gatherer ?

Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ?

Fun plinker ?

Printerman, with your permission, I’ll try to answer the post in my own format, tailored to my personal situation.

I live in Oregon now, but will be returning to the interior of Alaska soon. No neighbors. Just me and Ruthie.

I think about guns in three different catagories. People guns. Critter guns. And rimfire.

People guns:
Rifles; four ARs, (in .223 a colapsable stock 10.5” barrel and a fixed stock 18.5” barrel) and (in .308 a colapsable stock 12.5” barrel and a fixed stock 18” barrel). 1 ea. .223 suppressor and .308 suppressor.
Handguns; three Colt series 70, .45acp (two government, one with extended/threaded barrel and one commander) and a suppressor. Two S&W model 642. Two High Standard derringer in .22WMR.
Shotguns; three Remingtons. Two 870s, 12 & 20 gauge and one 1100 12 gauge.

Critter guns:
Rifles; six Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Three All Weather models (22-250, 25-06, 30-06), a Compact Magnum model in 300RCM, two Alaskan models (.375 Ruger and 416 Ruger)… A Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70.
Shotguns; Bernardelli Hemingway in 12 and 20 gauge. Browning Superposed 12 and 20 gauge. Browning BPS in .410.
Handguns; Bowen Nimrod in 475 Linebaugh and 454 Casull. Two S&W model 29 in 4” and 6.5” barrels. Two S&W model 27 in 5” and 8.375” barrels.

Rimfire:
Rifles; Three Anschutz; 1517D in 17 HMR, 1416D in 22LR, and 1516D in 22WMR. Two Winchester 9422 XTR in 22LR and 22WMR. A Ruger 10/22.
Handguns; S&W kit gun and model 17 in 22LR and model 48 in 22WRM. Colt Woodsman.

That’s it off the top of my head. I have a bunch of these already. Some are old. Some are new. Some I don’t have yet. I have a bunch that I didn’t list, like the “cowboy” and blackpowder stuff. Some of the above I have for good reason. Some are just personal preference.

And I don't mean to say I wouldn't change my thinking or make additions...

Think I’ll buy the Ruger M77 Alaskan in .416 next…

BTW, here's a pic of the Nimrod. The 475 Linebaugh would stay on my hip most anytime I'm outdoors, which would be a lot...

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/images/Stainless%20Nimrod%20001.jpg

Paladin
12-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I really wish many times I had bought the TAC instead of just the Standard USP .45

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDetail/productId/4/mid/388/Default.aspx

circuits
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I withdraw my previous reply... I have no guns or ammo.

Guns are baaaaaad!

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 05:08 PM

I dunno?
I just thought a .270 might be a little large for every day carry....lol

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I dunno?
I just thought a .270 might be a little large for every day carry....lol

LOL
I live in the woods. so I really don’t look out of place.

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 06:30 PM
LOL
I live in the woods. so I really don’t look out of place.

How do you like the .270?
I was really torn between .243, .270, and 308 when I was shopping for a bolt rifle.
Not to side-track the thread, but I was just curious...

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 06:56 PM
How do you like the .270?
I was really torn between .243, .270, and 308 when I was shopping for a bolt rifle.
Not to side-track the thread, but I was just curious...

It’s great. and far better than any of your other choices. It’s a necked down 30-06.
It’s incredibly fast and devastating. there is literally not an animal on this planet that it cannot bring down.
I have been contemplating getting a 30.06 for the heavily wooded areas. but if I could only have one, it would be the 270

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
It’s great. and far better than any of your other choices. It’s a necked down 30-06.
It’s incredibly fast and devastating. there is literally not an animal on this planet that it cannot bring down.
I have been contemplating getting a 30.06 for the heavily wooded areas. but if I could only have one, it would be the 270

Far better choice for what?
That's a pretty broad statement.
Hunting? I assume you mean?

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Far better choice for what?
That's a pretty broad statement.
Hunting? I assume you mean?

Any type of shooting that you need accuracy/distance and a round that can drop large game. Obviously you could use it on the enemy as well. But it would be a major overkill on such a small target.

Paladin
12-03-2010, 07:26 PM

My stepson bought a savage in 270 a few months back. We ran some Hornady superformance through it. Impressive cartridge. Really flat trajectory. Ended up zeroing it at 200yds. That left it around 1.25" high at 100yds...

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Any type of shooting that you need accuracy/distance and a round that can drop large game. Obviously you could use it on the enemy as well. But it would be a major overkill on such a small target.

On the enemy?
That's not what I meant, but yeah, I suppose you could.
The .270 is a good round.
I think for sniping though, it's usually some form of .30 cal or bigger for distance.

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
My stepson bought a savage in 270 a few months back. We ran some Hornady superformance through it. Impressive cartridge. Really flat trajectory. Ended up zeroing it at 200yds. That left it around 1.25" high at 100yds...

Nice rifle. I’ve just got an old beat up Mossberg 810ch. But I like it.
I still remember the first time I shot it. Hearing that round wizz through the air was flat impressive.

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
On the enemy?
That's not what I meant, but yeah, I suppose you could.
The .270 is a good round.
I think for sniping though, it's usually some form of .30 cal or bigger for distance.

You can go with the 30.06. But you will loose allot. The only place they are better than the 270 is going through sticks, branches and crap like that. The 270 deflects easily in comparison.

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 08:25 PM
You can go with the 30.06. But you will loose allot. The only place they are better than the 270 is going through sticks, branches and crap like that. The 270 deflects easily in comparison.

Pretty much, that's my thoughts too.
That's one of the reasons the 308 is still so popular.
It flies like a damned rainbow compared to your .270 for sure.
But it's less deflected.
No doubt, the 30/06 would be really good too.
Although your .270 with a "clear" shot would kick some ass.

With a 300 yard zero, the 308 drops -34.75" @ 500 yards.
The .270 drops -27.33" @ 500 yards.
That's a 7-8" difference.

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Pretty much, that's my thoughts too.
That's one of the reasons the 308 is still so popular.
It flies like a damned rainbow compared to your .270 for sure.
But it's less deflected.
No doubt, the 30/06 would be really good too.
Although your .270 with a "clear" shot would kick some ass.

I’ve never really thought of the 308 like that. In comparison to the 30.06 or the 270 it looks sooo wimpy.
I imagine the range is there. but I would question the impact and damage. Just not something I would feel confident with dropping an Elk. But then again it is designed for human sized targets. and like the 7.62X39, not much good for anything else.

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I’ve never really thought of the 308 like that. In comparison to the 30.06 or the 270 it looks sooo wimpy.
I imagine the range is there. but I would question the impact and damage. Just not something I would feel confident with dropping an Elk. But then again it is designed for human sized targets. and like the 7.62X39, not much good for anything else.

The 308 is just fine really. That's why it is still in use.
Think of it as comparing pistol rounds...for instance, if that makes any sense.

308 = the .45acp of the sniping world.
It's slower...yet still hits pretty hard when it gets there and penetrates well due to mass.

.270 = .357mag.
Faster and flatter...yet still penetrates well do to velocity.

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
The 308 is just fine really. That's why it is still in use.
Think of it as comparing pistol rounds...for instance, if that makes any sense.

308 = the .45acp of the sniping world.
It's slower...yet still hits pretty hard when it gets there and penetrates well due to mass.

.270 = .357mag.
Faster and flatter...yet still penetrates well do to velocity.
I see the difference. But just the same if I was going to go with a .30 cal I would go with the 30.06
I do have a FAL in 308 (7.62) and I do like it. But I’m sure the hell not going to lug it around the woods.
Those type of weapons are just fun toys to me.

swampdragon
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I see the difference. But just the same if I was going to go with a .30 cal I would go with the 30.06
I do have a FAL in 308 (7.62) and I do like it. But I’m sure the hell not going to lug it around the woods.
Those type of weapons are just fun toys to me.

Oh hell yeah.
I agree.
I wouldn't want to lug an FAL around for hunting either.
I thought we were just talking about bolt rifles.

Blacksmith
12-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh hell yeah.
I agree.
I wouldn't want to lug an FAL around for hunting either.
I thought we were just talking about bolt rifles.

We are. But I only have one 308 and it’s not. LOL

HDR
12-05-2010, 08:47 AM

Correct.

A lot of people say the Military should switch to the newest latest ballistic majik juju rounds; however, that would require re-training a lot of people and losing their years of training and field experience with the current issue.

.270 is an excellent caliber; flat shooting, speed, accuracy and power; what is not to like?? :D

About its only weakness if you consider it a weakness is Sierra offers more bullets for other calibers which are similar in performance and diameter.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&caliberID=7

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&caliberID=8

gpwasr10
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
What I have now?

1. Everyday carry? XD-9 Sub-Compact
2....and Backup? I don’t carry two guns.

3. Overall home protection? XD-45 Tactical
For intruder? X-45 Tactical
For mob? AMD-65

4. Silent apocalypse? What the hell is a silent apocalypse?
5. General mayhem? Yugo M-70 Full-Stock / 20" AR / MAS 49/56
6. Food gatherer ? Ruger .22 Single Six or Ruger Redhawk with Snake Shot and Marlin 1894SS .44 Magnum

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times? Marlin 1895CB .45-70

8. Home protection for wife and children while away? Bushmaster A1 Commando 11.5"/5.5" BBL (In a pinch I am a hacksaw away from a true 11.5" BBL)

9. Long distance sniper, disturber type mayhem? 20" AR-15 Homebrew with BUIS and IOR QR-TS OR French MAS 49/56

Plinker: Ruger .22 Single Six

What I would need?
1. Everyday carry ? Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum
2....and Backup ? See above

3. Overall home protection? Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum With .44 Special Silvertips
for mob ? Marlin 1894SS

4. Silent apocalypse , Ruger Redhawk and Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag
5. general mayhem , Ruger Redhawk and Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag
6. food gatherer ? Ruger Redhawk and Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag with snake shot for small game.

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ? Ruger Redhawk and Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ? Bushmaster A1 Commando 11.5"/5.5" BBL (In a pinch I am a hacksaw away from a true 11.5" BBL), XD-9 Sub Compact.

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ? In a true TSHTF situation I would be trying like hell not to fire at people that were far enough away to evade.

Fun plinker ? The Bushmaster with a .22 Cal Adapter.

So that Brings me to 4 guns...
Stainless Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag
Stainless Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag
Bushmaster A1 Commando 5.56
XD-9 Sub-Compact 9mm

So 4 guns, 3 cal of ammo (4 if you include the .22 conversion), all of which I could re-load for (sans the .22).

HDR
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM

What bullet weights were you comparing?

I've been considering build a 280 Ackley.

308 isn't exactly wimpy. ;) Its a half step behind an '06 as it has a better case design it uses less powder.

swampdragon
12-06-2010, 03:40 AM
What bullet weights were you comparing?

I've been considering build a 280 Ackley.

The 308 was 168gr on the chart I was looking at.
The .270, I forgot now.
I'd have to go look it up again.

HDR
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Probably 130 or 150.

As they share the same case and case length is within .006; the lighter will be flatter.

I got so tired of hearing the 270 / 30-06 wars I bought a 7R Mag. Which is flat as a 130 270 and hits like a 180 06. More important was I did not have to put up with either sides bs. Jack O'Connor stirred that 270 vs. 30-06 pot for years which sold a lot of magazines.

swampdragon
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Probably 130 or 150.

As they share the same case and case length is within .006; the lighter will be flatter.

I got so tired of hearing the 270 / 30-06 wars I bought a 7R Mag. Which is flat as a 130 270 and hits like a 180 06. More important was I did not have to put up with either sides bs. Jack O'Connor stirred that 270 vs. 30-06 pot for years which sold a lot of magazines.

I don't know the first thing about the .280 (backing up a post)
How does that shoot?

gpwasr10
12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Have you looked into a .257 Weatherby? It is an awesome round.

HDR
12-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I don't know the first thing about the .280 (backing up a post)
How does that shoot?

280 Ackley. From what I read they are very accurate and you can also shoot commercial 280 ammunition which also fire forms the case. Ackley "invented" a lot of wildcats simply by blowing out the shoulder in a similar fashion to the shaped charged principle. The 280 AI is sort of a 7R Mag lite. For some reason all 7s have real good ballistics. If you compare the 7R Mag with the 300w; you'll see that (way) down range the 7 catches the 300.

arcangel
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
HDR, where down range does it catch? Please and thanks. I like 300 win mag, my cousin had a whetherby (spelling) in 300WM, I ran a lot of rounds through it before he sold it, at just shy of 700y being the max we both used it at. His was light so the recoil was a bitch for him and thats why he sold it. I've considered both rounds for a bit more power than my 308.

Integratedj
12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I've got softball sized river rock. Can I play to?

Paladin
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
...I like 300 win mag...I've considered both rounds for a bit more power than my 308.

Here's something you may want to consider. http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=249&categoryid[]=256&categoryid[]=302&categoryid[]=&x=25&y=8 Designed to be used in a 30-06 action length and a couple hundred fps faster then the 300WM out of the same barrel length.

Here's a 20" barreled Ruger Rifle to launch them with. About the same velocities as the 300Wm from a 24" barrel. http://www.ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/specSheets/7191.html

I've been giving the combination some thought...

arcangel
12-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Paladin