PDA

View Full Version : Polymer AR's

sisyphus
11-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Anybody seen the poly-receiver AR's? I've been looking for another lower because my Stag's still got problems and a local dealer has complete units at a real good price. What I've read so-far has been positive but not from a lot of sources.

Integratedj
12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I watched a Plum Crazy poly receiver get hit repeatedly with a maul and not break.
They may not be the best looking receivers, but they work and can take a beating. Nice way to build a lighter rifle.

raxar
12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I briefly had a bushmaster Carbon-15 pistol. Never had issue with it but I think I'd prefer aluminum.

hi_capacity
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I have a lightweight DPMS upper mounted on a Plum Crazy lower. Shoots fine. The trigger pull is really good. Everyone that's seen or shot it wants one. I'm thinking about buying another. Got mine for $120 off gunbroker.

sisyphus
12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Guys...........sorry I haven't acknowleged your posts. A few days passed after I posted with no answers, so I assumed nobody knew anything on these.

Thanks for the comments and opinions.

I went ahead and bought one (130+tax) from a local dealer and it seems to function well, though I still haven't shot it yet. Hoping to get to that sometime after Christmas. So far I think I'll be happy with it.

Schuetzenman
12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Anybody seen the poly-receiver AR's? I've been looking for another lower because my Stag's still got problems and a local dealer has complete units at a real good price. What I've read so-far has been positive but not from a lot of sources.

What's wrong with your Stag lower? I've got one that is superb in fit. The rifle built up off it is my piston converted middy and it works perfectly.

coyote3
12-13-2010, 11:50 PM
My DW-15 on a Cavalry Arms MKII Lower. Super light and tough as nails.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/DeWalt1cc_50_.jpg

Krupski
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Nice rifle. I wonder if the snipers will aim for the bright yellow handguards, or the bright yellow receiver? :yeah:

AKTexas
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Where does the battery go?

sisyphus
12-19-2010, 12:33 AM
What's wrong with your Stag lower? I've got one that is superb in fit. The rifle built up off it is my piston converted middy and it works perfectly.

Has trouble getting mags seated and they misfeed or jam in the bolt when cycling. I've been told by people who have a lot more knowlege on them than I do, that at one time STAG produced a run with out of spec dims. Not sure how that could happen and not be noticed right away, but I do know that it has the same problem with both my Bushmaster 20" heavy barrel upper and the DSA M4 upper.

No problems at all with either upper today when I used the new poly lower I just got.

If you know of a secret cure for this baby I'm all ears. Any help will be appreciated.

blobman
12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
guy at work called me and said cabelas had bushys for 650.i told id be surprised if that was accurate ..anyhoo fast forward 2 weeks later and he shows me his new AR,ilook atb it and im thinking this is a @@lr type thing thats all the rave ,noipe its a real bushy carbon 15.light as shit ,but i just didnt like it

Schuetzenman
12-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Has trouble getting mags seated and they misfeed or jam in the bolt when cycling. I've been told by people who have a lot more knowlege on them than I do, that at one time STAG produced a run with out of spec dims. Not sure how that could happen and not be noticed right away, but I do know that it has the same problem with both my Bushmaster 20" heavy barrel upper and the DSA M4 upper.

No problems at all with either upper today when I used the new poly lower I just got.

If you know of a secret cure for this baby I'm all ears. Any help will be appreciated.

I do not know of any cure. If it is out of spec, Stag should replace it. To do what you describe the receiver would have to be off spec by quite a bit. It would be interesting to measure it and compare the dimensions from it to a known good receiver. That way the differences could be documented and used to twist Stag's arm so to speak.

HDR
12-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice rifle. I wonder if the snipers will aim for the bright yellow handguards, or the bright yellow receiver? :yeah:

Flesh color is one of their main attractors.

sisyphus
12-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I do not know of any cure. If it is out of spec, Stag should replace it. To do what you describe the receiver would have to be off spec by quite a bit. It would be interesting to measure it and compare the dimensions from it to a known good receiver. That way the differences could be documented and used to twist Stag's arm so to speak.

I had an email exchange with a rep from Stag about it and he said he wasn't aware of any of their receivers ever being made out of spec, but they'd look at it and make a decision from what they see. I don't know how old it is since I bought it used, so that may be a problem with having them look at it.

Frankly, I'm tempted to get a stripped lower, switch the parts around and forget this pig and its problems.

Schuetzenman
12-20-2010, 07:53 AM

Only thing worse than this one would be if it was pink. Imagine wandering around the SHTF world with this bright yellow rifle. The zombies would laugh at you! ;)

coyote3
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Only thing worse than this one would be if it was pink. Imagine wandering around the SHTF world with this bright yellow rifle. The zombies would laugh at you! ;)

Good! Then they'll die laughing! :biggrina:

skipme56
12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Where did you get that yellow stock set? My grandson is 6 years old and loves to shoot papaw's ar and he loves the color "lellow" ,( he gets that part from me) so I thought I might build him one to keep at papaw's so we can go shootin together. He loves to shoot my Bushmaster xm-15 because it looks like what the army mens carry and that's what he wants to be!

:shootski:

coyote3
12-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Where did you get that yellow stock set? My grandson is 6 years old and loves to shoot papaw's ar and he loves the color "lellow" ,( he gets that part from me) so I thought I might build him one to keep at papaw's so we can go shootin together. He loves to shoot my Bushmaster xm-15 because it looks like what the army mens carry and that's what he wants to be!

http://www.cavalryarms.com/

Give them a call. They may still have some yellow furniture in stock.

NewbieAKguy
01-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Guys...........sorry I haven't acknowleged your posts. A few days passed after I posted with no answers, so I assumed nobody knew anything on these.

Thanks for the comments and opinions.

I went ahead and bought one (130+tax) from a local dealer and it seems to function well, though I still haven't shot it yet. Hoping to get to that sometime after Christmas. So far I think I'll be happy with it.

Just FYI, David Fortier gave them excellent reviews two issues ago in Shotgun News.

shadow65
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
If you are trying to load a fully loaded mag(30 rounds) that is not unusual for the mag to be hard to seat. Try it with 28 rounds. Better yet, seat the mag with the bolt back.
What sort of jams are you having?

Pikeman
01-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I have a Plum crazy lower topped off with a RRA .458 Socom so far no issues.

sisyphus
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
If you are trying to load a fully loaded mag(30 rounds) that is not unusual for the mag to be hard to seat. Try it with 28 rounds. Better yet, seat the mag with the bolt back.
What sort of jams are you having?

BTDT. The mags don't even seat properly when empty, bolt open or closed. Both uppers now work great since I put them on the new poly's.

Thanks for the info anyway.

gpwasr10
02-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Dude, that is one bad ass AR. Have you sent a pic of that to DeWalt?

coyote3
02-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure how they would take it. :D

Schuetzenman
02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure how they would take it. :D

Yeah, I have a feeling they'd sue for trade mark infringment.