PDA

View Full Version : Allentown PA. overcharging for gun permits!

abpt1
07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
ALLENTOWN, Pa. –– A well-known lawman has come under the microscope.Lehigh County is looking into whether Sheriff Ronald Rossi broke the law by overcharging for gun permits.The sheriff has the backing of the state sheriff's association, but county officials fear the law may have been broken.Lehigh County's legal department is researching whether the Sheriff's Department violated the law by charging $13 over the state-mandated $25 fee for a concealed weapon's permit.I believe if the state law says $25 and you are charging more than that, you have to be authorized to do it and you have to have some pretty strong justification and I don't think he has any and that puts us as a county liable for refund that could add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, said county Commissioner Andrew Roman.Roman said the commission received an ordinance authorizing the fee several weeks ago but said the sheriff's department has been charging the additional fee for 15 years.Sheriff Rossi issued this statement:"The Lehigh County Sheriff's Department has been in full compliance with the law regarding Pennsylvania licenses to carry a concealed weapon."County officials told 69 News the county charter allows it to impose extra fees with the approval of the commission, which they said the Sheriff's Department did not get.Sheriff Rossi said the extra fee was to pay for a laminated card instead of the $25 paper card.Lehigh County resident David Green contacted state legislators and filed a "Right to Know" request with the county after filling out a form to carry a concealed weapon and was charged the extra $13 fee.There wasn't any option listed on the paper or anything like that, said Green. I found out the option because of the "Right to Know" request I filed.The Pennsylvania Sheriff's Association is backing Rossi, saying in the counties that offer upgrades, "The statutes do not prohibit a voluntary payment by a citizen who wishes to obtain a laminated or otherwise upgraded card or permit."The extra $13 fee has been waived until this matter is settled.The legal opinion on the fees is expected Tuesday.On Thursday, the county commissioners are expected to talk about it during the public comment portion of their meeting.

http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews/24202136/detail.html (http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews/24202136/detail.html)

ready
07-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Bucks and Montgomery Counties are charging $46.