PDA

View Full Version : SPAM recipes

O.S.O.K.
11-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I think we need a SPAM recipe thread. After all, it's probably the most popular survival hoard food out there...

I'll start.

Spam and eggs: Slice Spam into thin breakfast-sized steaks and brown on both sides. Prepare eggs as desired (I like mine over easy so as to have some yolk to douse the spam in before eating).

:coffee:

AKTexas
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Grilled Span and Cheese....Gubment Cheeze!

arcangel
11-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Ramen noodles, SPAM, and scrambled eggs, with soy sauce. Grew up on that in Hawaii.

old Grump
11-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Meat grinder, fine blade, grind up one can of spam.

Add heaping T of mayonnaise
1 t Dijon mustard
2-3 t of sweet or dill pickle relish.
1 hard boiled egg mashed or run through the grinder with the spam.
6-8 green olives chopped up
mix thoroughly

Toast bread or kaiser roll and make a Spamwich sandwich

optional: 1 t horseradish in place of mustard or 1/2 t of each

FunkyPertwee
11-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Cut it into cubes, cook it with beans, serve in rice. Its called rice, beans and spam.

sisyphus
11-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Simple ones.............

Cube spam and fry in a little oil or butter until lightly browned. Add to black-eyed peas with butter. Or throw into pork and beans, spaghetti-o's or chili.

printerman
11-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I love SPAM fried and browned on both sides kinda dark , with eggs , grits and three english muffins !

However because SPAM is in a pop-top can it no longer makes for a "long term" storage item. You can still get 2 to 3 years age from a can but those seams in the metal give way to leaks much sooner than they use too.

Ideally you can rotate your stock and your cans will be fine , but that requires eating "tons" of SPAM. Now if your storage is only ten cans or so then fine , but 100 cans is a hell of a lot of Spam. Take a sharpie and date your cans as you buy them and if you regularly eat SPAM then just continue to rotate.

Many folks save ten , twenty cans and call that a cache but in times of crisis food goes fast as stress levels are up. Try and buy only cans without pop-tops. If you want SPAM in regular cans go to a British food shoppe and you may still be able to get the old style cans. (they never converted as of five years ago) SPAM was one of the first products to go with pop-tops as they use to have two types of cans. Side-winder with key and solid military style cans. Either of these will be long gone.

Hawaii eats more SPAM than anyone per capita because of WWII GI's and their rations. Cans (solid military style) have been found in pacific island caves and were still edible , amazing !

FunkyPertwee
11-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I love SPAM fried and browned on both sides kinda dark , with eggs , grits and three english muffins !

However because SPAM is in a pop-top can it no longer makes for a "long term" storage item. You can still get 2 to 3 years age from a can but those seams in the metal give way to leaks much sooner than they use too.

Ideally you can rotate your stock and your cans will be fine , but that requires eating "tons" of SPAM. Now if your storage is only ten cans or so then fine , but 100 cans is a hell of a lot of Spam. Take a sharpie and date your cans as you buy them and if you regularly eat SPAM then just continue to rotate.

Many folks save ten , twenty cans and call that a cache but in times of crisis food goes fast as stress levels are up. Try and buy only cans without pop-tops. If you want SPAM in regular cans go to a British food shoppe and you may still be able to get the old style cans. (they never converted as of five years ago) SPAM was one of the first products to go with pop-tops as they use to have two types of cans. Side-winder with key and solid military style cans. Either of these will be long gone.

Hawaii eats more SPAM than anyone per capita because of WWII GI's and their rations. Cans (solid military style) have been found in pacific island caves and were still edible , amazing !

Damn. I forgot about those pop lids, I guess I need to find a source for the wind up cans.

arcangel
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Spam cooked and wrapped in rice and sea weed like sushi is good too.

slamfire51
11-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Sliced thin and battered with flour, then fried til just crispy.
3 eggs fried in same pan. Sunny side up.
2 pieces of toast with the eggs on top.
Cup of java and a glass of OJ.

My favorite breakfast.

raxar
11-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Raxar's worst breakfast ever

one can Dollartree generic bacon flavored chicken spam

one whole wheat tortilla

cut cold pseudo spam into sandwich size slices

wrap slices in whole wheat tortilla

place in garbage can and pour a bowl of cocoa pebbles

FunkyPertwee
11-26-2010, 06:16 PM

one whole wheat tortilla

LOL! :)

You gotta stick to the real stuff, and use corn tortillas.

raxar
11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
LOL! :)

You gotta stick to the real stuff, and use corn tortillas.

actually it wasn't bad if you fried it, and as far as that goes I can't eat cold Spam either. The only canned loaf I've found that was good cold is Treet, but it's hard to find around here anymore.

as for the tortillas, I was house sitting, ain't no friggin way I'd buy such a thing. The whole experience just gave further proof that you should never trust skinny people when it comes to what tastes good.

slamfire51
11-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Treet is definitely cheaper, but doesn't come close to SPAM in taste whether cold or cooked.
I'll pay the difference to get the better tasting version.

chiak47
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I have 100's of these bags in my stash. About $1.00 a piece.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2942520945_f9c356bf32.jpg

raxar
11-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Treet is definitely cheaper, but doesn't come close to SPAM in taste whether cold or cooked.
I'll pay the difference to get the better tasting version.

I prefer treet hot or cold, love that goo that it comes packed in

swampdragon
11-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Tie a cord around the can and make a weapon out of it.
Then knock somebody else out with it.
Take their real food.

slamfire51
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Tie a cord around the can and make a weapon out of it.
Then knock somebody else out with it.
Take their real food.

Your imagination amazes me.
Wasting a perfectly good can of SPAM to kill someone.
Bullet is cheaper. No CQ confrontation.

raxar
11-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Your imagination amazes me.
Wasting a perfectly good can of SPAM to kill someone.
Bullet is cheaper. No CQ confrontation.

ah, but spam is more enviromentally friendly, what with being bio-digradible and all.

what surprises me is that he didn't say to beat someone with a can of spam and then eat them.

slamfire51
11-27-2010, 11:11 PM
ah, but spam is more enviromentally friendly, what with being bio-digradible and all.

what surprises me is that he didn't say to beat someone with a can of spam and then eat them.

Give him time, he'll think of that in a few. LOL

recon
11-28-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.spam.com/

swampdragon
11-28-2010, 12:17 AM

:roflmao:

Mark Ducati
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I like Spam on a toasted bagel with a little cheese... carbs from the bread, protein from the Spam, and a little fat from the cheese.

I do the same thing with canned corn-beef hash/potatoes.

Easy to make when camping/back-packing... I toast the bagel over an open flame. This really fills you up and gives a lot of energy.

slamfire51
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I normally don't eat breakfast, but I had an urge for some SPAM.

This morning's breakfast.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/spam1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/spam2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/spam3.jpg

AKTexas
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Spam cooked and wrapped in rice and sea weed like sushi is good too.
Beat me to it!

A little teriyaki sauce in there, and that stuff is good!

circuits
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Double-stack grilled spam and cheese sandwiches:

Spam sliced about 1/4" thick and pan fried until golden brown on both sides.
Drain slices, and stack two slices each between two pieces of bread, with a slice of cheese on each side of the slies. Butter the bread and grill golden brown as you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

slamfire51
11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Double-stack grilled spam and cheese sandwiches:

Spam sliced about 1/4" thick and pan fried until golden brown on both sides.
Drain slices, and stack two slices each between two pieces of bread, with a slice of cheese on each side of the slies. Butter the bread and grill golden brown as you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

I like!!!

Uncle Scary
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM

one whole wheat tortilla

That sounds worse than the mustard ice cream I made a few years ago.

O.S.O.K.
12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Ah - not bad guys - but we can do better!

How about a SLT sandwich? That's right - Spam, Lettuce and Tomato! Using the bacon flavored version of course.

Or... Spam and Scalloped potatoes.

Spam and cheese on crackers...

Breakfast cassarole with Spam, eggs, cheese and potatoes.

Spam sliced really thin with cream chease spread on it and rolled into a log and cut - makes those little apetizers - you can add thinly sliced sweet pickles too for some crunch.

And how about Quiche LaSpam... :lool:

slamfire51
12-08-2010, 08:57 PM

How about a SLT sandwich? That's right - Spam, Lettuce and Tomato! Using the bacon flavored version of course.

Spam sliced really thin with cream chease spread on it and rolled into a log and cut - makes those little apetizers - you can add thinly sliced sweet pickles too for some crunch.

All sound good.
Just not sure if we real men would eat SPAM Quiche. I won't.

old Grump
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
If you won't eat quiche call it an omelet, if thats to fancy for you call it scrambled eggs. I'll eat it no matter what they call it.

swampdragon
12-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I'll eat it no matter what they call it.

Not touchin' this one...lol

slamfire51
12-08-2010, 10:17 PM
If you won't eat quiche call it an omelet, if thats to fancy for you call it scrambled eggs. I'll eat it no matter what they call it.

A quiche by any other name is still quiche.

No thanks!!

slamfire51
12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Not touchin' this one...lol

"Eating" SPAM should be no problem for you...............:laugh:

swampdragon
12-08-2010, 11:36 PM
"Eating" SPAM should be no problem for you...............:laugh:

Yeah.
I've been bombarded with a lot of it lately.
:yeah:

old Grump
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Spam Salad

Ready in: 2-5 hrs
Serves/Makes: 8
Ingredients:
8 ounces Wagon wheel shape pasta
1 Jar (6 oz size) marinated artichoke hearts
1 can (12 oz size) Spam luncheon meat, cubed
1 cup Diced bell pepper
1/2 cup Chopped red onion
1/2 cup Sliced ripe olives
3 tablespoons Finely-chopped fresh basil leaves
***Dressing***
1/3 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Creole seasoning mix
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
1 clove Garlic, chopped

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain artichokes, reserving marinade; cut into quarters. In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.

In blender, combine reserved artichoke marinade with remaining dressing ingredients. Process until smooth. Add dressing to salad, tossing well. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
I stole this from Frugals Forums. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to triple it and serve it up at the next family reunion. Most of my family claim to be very fussy eaters but in reality they will eat anything if you don't tell them whats in it. That is the only way I will get them to eat artichoke hearts.
:coffee:

ubersoldate
12-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Spam dipped in egg and the cajun chicken mix you sent me!

Man that stuff is awesome.

As for spam, I dont know, I think you guys are nuts!

O.S.O.K.
12-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Fried SPAM! :violent085:

And yes, this concoction of meat flavored fat and filler is not my idea of the best of foods to consume... but I bet it's a favorite of the prepper's stores.

slamfire51
12-10-2010, 05:57 PM

And yes, this concoction of meat flavored fat and filler is not my idea of the best of foods to consume... but I bet it's a favorite of the prepper's stores.

Hmm, had fried SPAM and eggs again this morning.
And a cold SPAM and mayo sandwich for lunch.
YUMMY!!!

Uncle Scary
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM

From what I understand, it's just basically ground pork shoulder. But yes, it's not my ideal food either. Way too much sodium. It will be worth it's weight in gold if there's a long term SHTF, however.

slamfire51
12-11-2010, 10:11 AM
There are different versions.
I agree, the regular is too salty. I buy the LITE. 50% less fat, 25% less sodium and 33% less calories.

But in a SHTF situation, the lesser calorie version may be a bad thing if you on the move.

Uncle Scary
12-11-2010, 09:45 PM
There are different versions.
I agree, the regular is too salty. I buy the LITE. 50% less fat, 25% less sodium and 33% less calories.

But in a SHTF situation, the lesser calorie version may be a bad thing if you on the move.

Yeah, but if you get the regular version, you'll need more fresh water to wash the salt out of your kidneys. Higher sodium also means higher blood pressure, and there will be no hospitals to take care of you if you have a heart attack or stroke. You'll be lying on the pavement twitching with an aneurysm, and the birds will peck out your eyes, a gang will steal all your shit while you're paralyzed, then maybe somebody will have pity on you and cut your throat, and your last thought will be, "I shoulda gone with the low sodium SPAM."

O.S.O.K.
12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
On the other hand, if you live in Texas or some other hot as hell place during the sumer, you will need that salt in your diet. ;)

Spam, spam, spam, spam...

slamfire51
12-12-2010, 05:04 PM
On the other hand, if you live in Texas or some other hot as hell place during the sumer, you will need that salt in your diet. ;)

I was referring in my last reply that calories would be needed more when you're on the move. SPAM does makes a reduced sodium version with all the normal calories.
I eat the LITE version because I don't need the extra fat, sodium, and calories found in the classic SPAM.

Uncle Scary
12-13-2010, 01:06 AM

It's my understanding that the army doesn't issue salt tablets anymore. You need very little salt to balance your electrolytes in hot conditions. You have to drink twice as much fresh water to wash out that salt, and heat sickness resulting from dehydration is much more dangerous than from low electrolytes.