PDA

View Full Version : Septic system question for those in the know.............

cciota
11-27-2010, 02:14 PM
The wife and I moved into our house 5 years ago. It was a new house back then and we have a septic system no county sewer. No sump pumps. Just a, I'm assuming, plain-jane 1000 gallon septic tank and drain field. It is just the wife and I here with relatives visiting every once in a great while. I regularly pour a bottle of that enzyme stuff for septic tanks you get at Lowes into the toilet every six months. My neighbor just had his pumped out for $150 which sounds reasonable. My question is, how often should I have someone come over and pump it out? Some people say every two years, some say five and my father-in-law says never. I have never had a house on septic so I don't really know. Thanks for you help!

FunkyPertwee
11-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Don't pump it unless you have major problems.

If it drains good, just let it keep draining good. Pumping them can give them bad joo-joo and make the draining process quit.

Usually the people who get them pumped seem to have to continue having them pumped every so often after the first pump.

For one thing, it flushes out the bacteria your relying on to break down your doo doo.

swampdragon
11-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, one thing to remember is that every time you do dishes, wash clothes, wash your hands, take showers, etc.....AND use antibacterial soaps, it kills the microbes in your tank that the tank actually NEEDS to break down all the crap in there.

You'll need to add bacteria on purpose to your tank.
The more you do this, the less often you'll have to have it drained/emptied.

samiam
11-27-2010, 04:59 PM
if the system was properly installed you shouldn't ever have to pump it but as swampy said bleach, soaps, drain cleaner, etc. will kill off the bacteria that are required for proper function

ltorlo64
11-27-2010, 05:25 PM
My uncle is a plumber and he says you should never have to have your tank pumped. He also says that those additives are not very effective. I would tend to agree with him. You have 1000 gallons or so of putrid water to which you add about a quarter cup a day of soap from washing your hands and about a cup of bleach. A cup is 8 oz and a gallon is 128 oz. You only add bleach to laundry about once a week so you are adding 3oz of stuff that will kill microbes into 128,000 oz of water. I don't think it has much of an effect. That being said, the VA says you should have it done about every 7 years to remove the sludge. You can reduce sludge buildup by using liquid soaps as much as possible. The powders have some constituents that do not dissolve and these things fall out to the bottom as the sludge. The only reason to pump a septic is to regain the volume being taken up by the sludge.

As for the microbes, we are talking about a 1000 gallons of putrid water.

Helen Keller
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
if the system was properly installed you shouldn't ever have to pump it but as swampy said bleach, soaps, drain cleaner, etc. will kill off the bacteria that are required for proper function

around here anything made/updated in the last 10 years has to be seperated.

IE:

THe house I just got in BFE, I have a Septic tank/leechbed setup Dedicated to the toilet

BUT
All my gray water IE: sinks/shower/washer bypass the tank setup and head directly to the sandmound/leechbed under the road accross the street.

Blacksmith
11-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I add yeast to all of mine. I have also heard adding a whole dead chicken promotes a lot of bacteria.
The only time I had to pump one is when one of my children let a defective toilet run for several days.
Pumping it was just the beginning. It messed the whole thing up bad.

Helen Keller
11-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Please post a video of you flushing a whole chicken :laughingtohard:

Blacksmith
11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Use the plunger. man! LOL

In my cesspools I could just drop it in. on my septic tank, I imagine I would have to pull the inspection cap and drop it in. I just use the yeast blocks from Costco. But I don’t have a chicken coop. or that’s where I would dispose of the unwanted ones.

swampdragon
11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Please post a video of you flushing a whole chicken :laughingtohard:

Sounds like he makes chicken pot pies out of his septic waste....lol

Helen Keller
11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
IF i flush Yeast and Sugar down the toilet will the end result be Coors Light????????

Blacksmith
11-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Sounds like he makes chicken pot pies out of his septic waste....lol

It looks more like chicken and dumplings.

a-kmanator
11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
If you have a elevated "turkey mound" drain field never ever put that enzyme shit in your septic.It breaks down the solids prematurely in to a slurry and pumps thru out your sand mound clogging it.....ask me how i know?...let them work naturally and they recommend emptying the solid tank every 4 years for maintenance,some townships require proof of maintenance receipts.

1 Patriot-of-many
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Two people, probably 3-5 years is a good est. I let mine go for about 10 with 4-5 people cause I was ignorant. It was packed hard in there, eventually that hard pack will fill up the tubes in your drain field and you're screwed, major $$$$ to dig it up and replace.

Also get yourself some lint traps for your clothes washer where the water dumps into your basin, you'd be surprised at how much lint is going into your system. That will plug up your drain field also.

swampdragon
11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Two people, probably 3-5 years is a good est. I let mine go for about 10 with 4-5 people cause I was ignorant. It was packed hard in there, eventually that hard pack will fill up the tubes in your drain field and you're screwed, major $$$$ to dig it up and replace.

Also get yourself some lint traps for your clothes washer where the water dumps into your basin, you'd be surprised at how much lint is going into your system. That will plug up your drain field also.

Lint trap for the washing machine?
Man.
I never would have even thought about that.
Good info!
:thumbsup:

old Grump
11-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Didn't ever used to pump it but county regulations designed for the poorest and smallest systems affect all of us. Now I have to have it inspected and pumped every other year whether I want to or not.

Forget the additives, you have all the bacteria you need in the system already and adding a little outside yeast or other additive does nothing for you. Just keep the chemicals out of your system like gas, oil, paint thinner and other waste products in that family out of your system and it will keep itself healthy.

Krupski
11-27-2010, 10:42 PM
The wife and I moved into our house 5 years ago. It was a new house back then and we have a septic system no county sewer. No sump pumps. Just a, I'm assuming, plain-jane 1000 gallon septic tank and drain field. It is just the wife and I here with relatives visiting every once in a great while. I regularly pour a bottle of that enzyme stuff for septic tanks you get at Lowes into the toilet every six months. My neighbor just had his pumped out for $150 which sounds reasonable. My question is, how often should I have someone come over and pump it out? Some people say every two years, some say five and my father-in-law says never. I have never had a house on septic so I don't really know. Thanks for you help!

Don't pump it unless you NEED to.

Just toss in some Rid-X twice a year or so, and don't abuse the system (too much paper, too much soap or other stuff that could inhibit bacterial action).

A "clean" septic system won't work. You NEED turds, bacteria and all the horrible stuff that's in there to break down the waste.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 Patriot-of-many
11-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Don't pump it unless you NEED to.

Just toss in some Rid-X twice a year or so, and don't abuse the system (too much paper, too much soap or other stuff that could inhibit bacterial action).

A "clean" septic system won't work. You NEED turds, bacteria and all the horrible stuff that's in there to break down the waste.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The problem is once you start getting solids into your drainfield it will be broke and it will cost a lot more to fix it than pumping it out every few/5 years will.

1 Patriot-of-many
11-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Lint trap for the washing machine?
Man.
I never would have even thought about that.
Good info!
:thumbsup:

Some septic guys say that's the number one reason drain fields fail. The lint is light enough it flows with the liquids directly across the tank into the drainfield clogging them up. It's cheap insurance to have them on your washer output.

alismith
11-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I've lived in my present house for 32 years. The first time I had any trouble with my septic system was after 20 years of use (not bad for 5 people). The problems were caused by my water treatment system's salt draining into the tank. Salt killed off the necessary bacteria and caused everything to clump up. Since then, I've had to get it pumped out about every 4-5 years.

I've had a French drain installed to handle the salt from the water system and want to transfer the clothes and dish washer and bath tubs to that line. Ultimately, I want only the toilets emptying into the septic tank.

Ronwicp
11-28-2010, 12:56 AM
the septic tank in this house hasnt been pumped since it was put in 40 years ago. Actually two houses. there was an old house that was hooked up to the tank. They tore that one down and built this house and just hooked it up to the same tank.

Anyway, 40+ years and no problems. But, the sink and washer drain elsewhere.

TheMrMitch
11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
My septic is a 55 gallon drum and a line leading off of that. Put in 13 years ago.

Clogged up bad on me this fall but finally started flushing again. (scared to look under cabin.. j/k).
Just me and my dog....he goes outside. No paper into system. Shower and sink empties past drum into a filled gravel pit.

mrkalashnikov
11-28-2010, 09:57 AM
My septic is a 55 gallon drum and a line leading off of that. Put in 13 years ago.

Clogged up bad on me this fall but finally started flushing again. (scared to look under cabin.. j/k).
Just me and my dog....he goes outside. No paper into system. Shower and sink empties past drum into a filled gravel pit.

So what gets used in place of paper? Corncobs? :wondering: :biggrina:

stevelyn
11-28-2010, 11:15 AM
If you just moved in and don't know the history of the septic tank, I would get it pumped once just to clear it out. Just start using your bottled bugs regularly and and don't worry about pumping unless something goes wrong.

So what gets used in place of paper? Corncobs?

I'm presuming the practice is the same as it is here in Alaska. Used paper goes into a separate recepticle and is later burned.

alismith
11-28-2010, 01:02 PM
If you just moved in and don't know the history of the septic tank, I would get it pumped once just to clear it out. Just start using your bottled bugs regularly and and don't worry about pumping unless something goes wrong.

I'm presuming the practice is the same as it is here in Alaska. Used paper goes into a separate recepticle and is later burned.

That's better than recycling that paper as napkins.;)

old Grump
11-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm presuming the practice is the same as it is here in Alaska. Used paper goes into a separate recepticle and is later burned.Do you use both sides or throw it away only half used? Toilet paper is biodegradable and has never been a problem in the septic system.

Women folks need to bring a plastic bag with them and dispose of their sanitary products because I have seen them mess up the plumbing way to often. Usually they get away with it but then when things go wrong some poor schmuck like me has to unplug it through clean out plugs if we are lucky or pull the pipe apart if we aren't.

Had a snake with an extension on it break on me once and when I finally got the pipe apart I found it had gotten wedged into a diaper and that sucker got knotted up tighter and harder than a wooden plug. You wouldn't believe some of the things we have pulled out of the plumbing. Everything from GI Joe to golf balls to dolls to bra's. Never a diamond ring, I never got a jewelry call. Did have to get a turd out of a urinal once, some people really need to be run through a meat grinder and dumped into the ocean for minnow food.

cciota
11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Sounds like the general concensus it to not pump it and let it do its thing. I will get or construct a lint filter for the washing machine. Thanks for the idea. It's funny that there is no definitive answer one way or the other.

Blacksmith
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
It's funny that there is no definitive answer one way or the other.

I’m thinking there is several different designs. I’m sure all the answers are correct for the individual systems.
My modern system is comprised of a large concrete tank that has a concrete divider in it. The solids go in one side and after breaking down to a liquid, they go to the second side. The liquid side leaches into the leach field from just below the top of the tank. This design makes it impossible for solids to get into the leach field. It also works well to break down any solids like paper, sanitary napkins and even food from the garbage disposal.

swampdragon
12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I’m thinking there is several different designs. I’m sure all the answers are correct for the individual systems.
My modern system is comprised of a large concrete tank that has a concrete divider in it. The solids go in one side and after breaking down to a liquid, they go to the second side. The liquid side leaches into the leach field from just below the top of the tank. This design makes it impossible for solids to get into the leach field. It also works well to break down any solids like paper, sanitary napkins and even food from the garbage disposal.

And with your system keeping solids and liquids separated like that, it's easier to retrieve ingredients for pies.
:shss::laugh:

old Grump
12-02-2010, 07:32 PM
And with your system keeping solids and liquids separated like that, it's easier to retrieve ingredients for pies.
Okay, that's it for you. BBQ at your place officially called off for sanitary reasons and problems with the menu.

Blacksmith
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Nothing like Thanksgiving leftovers.
:gum:

swampdragon
12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, that's it for you. BBQ at your place officially called off for sanitary reasons and problems with the menu.

Blacksmith started it with his chicken recipe.
:laughingtohard:

HDR
12-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Ditto and I've always pumped them to avoid getting solids. The solids at the bottom begin as a sludge from grease, lint, garbage disposals etc.

Contrary to common belief, septic tanks are not maintenance free. However, properly designed septic tanks installed correctly and not overloaded with water or household grease or solids from garbage disposals normally function well for many years. Typically, septic tanks are made of precast concrete. Some tanks have lids of three or more parts. The baffles (or tees) must be in good condition to keep floating scum and grease from leaving the tank and plugging the soil in the drainfield. In addition to the floating scum, the tanks also contain liquid sewage, which eventually flows to the drainfield. Over a period of time, a sludge layer forms in the bottom of the tank. The sludge consists of the solids that remain after the anaerobic bacteria in the tank breaks down the solid wastes.
The natural process of anaerobic digestion normally does quite well on its own, so no chemicals, enzymes, yeast or other additives should be routinely fed into the tanks. Normal household chemicals and occasional use of drain cleaners will not significantly affect tank operation. Roots that penetrate porous drain lines can sometimes be controlled by adding copper sulfate crystals.
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/C819-3.html

Pretty cool site...

Even plans so you can build you very own sludge measuring device. LOL

stevelyn
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Do you use both sides or throw it away only half used? Toilet paper is biodegradable and has never been a problem in the septic system.

Women folks need to bring a plastic bag with them and dispose of their sanitary products because I have seen them mess up the plumbing way to often. Usually they get away with it but then when things go wrong some poor schmuck like me has to unplug it through clean out plugs if we are lucky or pull the pipe apart if we aren't.

Had a snake with an extension on it break on me once and when I finally got the pipe apart I found it had gotten wedged into a diaper and that sucker got knotted up tighter and harder than a wooden plug. You wouldn't believe some of the things we have pulled out of the plumbing. Everything from GI Joe to golf balls to dolls to bra's. Never a diamond ring, I never got a jewelry call. Did have to get a turd out of a urinal once, some people really need to be run through a meat grinder and dumped into the ocean for minnow food.

Actually it has more to do with outhouses than septic systems. Due to the cold tempratures and length of winter, outhouses don't break down as easily and paper just complicates things.

govnor
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
We keep a trash can next to the toilet and all pee toilet paper goes in it. Turd paper goes in it too after the first couple of wipes. I know it sounds gross, but keeping the paper out helps a lot and the trash can gets emptied twice a week on trash days. We put one of those plastic grocery bags in as a liner so it gets thrown away. Also, make sure you're using Scott septic safe tissue if you're going to flush it. I use that anyway since some paper gets flushed. Especially after a good Mexican dinner.