PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on home security system

F-16 CHIEF
11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm looking at installing a wireless home security system. The house is built and I'm not pulling the cable to install a wired system. That's out of the question.

So, what I'm looking at is a system that can do the normal stuff. I'd like to have it call my cell, but I have a POTS line, so that should be no issue. I want about 4 doors, and 9windows covered. It would be nice to be able to monitor it remotely, but that's not the most important. I just want security and fire covered.

I'm trying to not spend a fortune, but I'm not going to wal mart to look either.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

And yes, I know that 8 pit bulls and mini gun turrets would be better. But, I've got to do what I can. :)

ubersoldate
11-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Hit intergratedJ up with a PM, he is the man when it comes to alarm systems, deals, and set up!

Krupski
11-29-2010, 01:02 AM
.........I'd like to have it call my cell, but I have a POTS line, so that should be no issue.........

Any crook with 1/2 a brain cuts the POTS line, first thing.

F-16 CHIEF
11-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Yes, but I have underground lines where I'm at. No poles at all. You can't even see the d-marc where it comes in the house. Plus, I can get the GSM module so cell phones can call. No POTS needed.

IntegratedJ huh? I'll have to look him up. Thanks!

samiam
11-29-2010, 02:22 AM
an insominiac chihuahua and a good pump shotgun

Integratedj
11-29-2010, 08:07 AM
If it's going to be wireless, make sure the company installing it uses Honeywell/Ademco product, and that for the door/window contacts they use the 5816 series instead of the smaller types. The 5816 series uses a cr123 battery in them and have good range. The smaller ones use either disc batteries, or alkaline batts that die a lot faster, and suffer from range issues. Nothing kicks ass like a security system that wakes you up with an alarm at 2-3am because it had a signal drop out or check in fail.

DSC, ITI, Napco wireless = your system sucks and you will have rf interference/range issues that are annoying as all get out, unless you live in a tiny apartment with limited space to cover and even then DSC will piss you off to no end. I service all brands of Alarms, and most of the time Honeywell brand systems only need a battery, where as I am constantly replacing parts on the others. If your place is big enough to need it, or does have some sort of rf interference, Honeywell makes an RF repeater that actually works well.

Especially avoid DSC panels and Cell Back ups. I swear, not only does their programming engineer absolutely hate field technicians with how they designed it's programming, they use the cheapest, most failure prone parts they can find. They look great, but performance is on par with the cheapest hooker you can find in Compton.

As far as a provider goes for the install, it's usually safer to avoid the "Authorized Dealers" that various companies use unless you know some one personally that works for one and will do the install properly. The dealers can be really hit and miss, but from my experience the techs they hire are usually not able to get a job with the parent company, either because of their background records, or because they are simply shit techs. A lot of them are also techs that were fired from the parent co's for piss poor work, but then simply start up a dealer office anyways and keep doing the shit work.

ADT and Protection1 are about the only big companies left. If you buy one of their systems you will have a monitoring contract of 3 years or so. Get the Maintenance policy, it is definitely worth it especially with ADT seeing as it also covers the batteries cost. I'm not sure of Pro1 covers the batteries in the main agreement. Their panels can also be programmed to be monitored by any one else later on as long as they handle contact ID at the Monitoring station.
Monotronix uses good gear, but it is only able to be used with them for Monitoring. They lock in the receiver phone numbers and account numbers so they can't be changed.

If properly done, alarms are a great protection for your home. If they use cheap gear or do a bad install, then they become a very annoying problem that can result in Police Dept fines that pile up quick. Also, avoid any of the Wireless systems that use an "All in one" or "Self Contained" panel. Ademco calls theirs the "Lynx". They can be ripped off the wall and communication severed way to easy.
Personally I would go with a Honeywell Vista 20p series panel. I have less problems with them than any others, the programming is a cake walk, and all of their devices work properly if they are installed right.

If you live in AZ, PM me and I can get you setup, otherwise feel free to hit me up with any questions you have. I've been installing for almost 12 years now professionally, and started doing this kind of work when I was 14 helping my uncle out over the summers. I've done everything from Trailers falling apart, to 42,000sq ft custom homes where every single thing in the house had a control system hooked up to it.

mriddick
11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
I went with a simple ADT system and a camera system that I can check when I'm away. http://www.supercircuits.com/ is where I got my camera stuff from, after hearing of troubles with wireless cameras I went with a wired system, am actually looking at upgrading my system now since they've upgraded alot in the last 4 years.

Integratedj
11-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Cameras are awesome if you want to know who is sneaking around your place at night or while you are gone. However, depending on your local PD, don't expect them to come get a copy of your camera footage if you have something go wrong. They won't want it to help catch the thief (Cause knowing what he looks like would make it way to easy) but they will want it if they actually catch the guy. To be admissible in court the DVR must leave a water mark in the video.

I had a guy break into my old work truck 9 times in a 1 year period. Most of the time he got nothing, and all it cost me was new tool boxes and locks. I contacted our local pd to come out and run prints on my truck. It went like this...

"Chandler PD, how can we not help you"

"yeah, my work truck was broken into, I need some one out here to take some prints and a copy of my camera footage"

"We're sorry sir, this will be a report by phone only, we aren't able to pull prints off of tool boxes".

"Ok, my toolbox is one of the non diamond plate versions. It's plain flat white gloss painted metal, you can get prints from it. I can also point out directly where the guy touched my windows, my doors, my truck bed, and even where he sat on my wife's trunk and left 2 full handprints on it".

"We're sorry sir, it will just be a report by phone"

"yeah, thats not going to work very well at catching this guy is it. How about a copy of the cctv footage"

"If we apprehend the guy, we will come get a copy for prosecution purposes".

"oh, so you already know who he is and don't need his prints or a crystal clear image of his face in order to pick him up"?

.... Fucking Crickets from the PD. and no, they never caught the guy. However, 2 of my neighbors did, and I know that fuckers never coming back into my neighborhood. He can still walk but he knows better now. It's been about 3 years since he came by on his bi weekly visits. I bet local pd would have wanted a tape of that little incident but they can blow me.

mriddick
11-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah, Cameras are awesome if you want to know who is sneaking around your place at night or while you are gone. However, depending on your local PD, don't expect them to come get a copy of your camera footage if you have something go wrong. They won't want it to help catch the thief (Cause knowing what he looks like would make it way to easy) but they will want it if they actually catch the guy. To be admissible in court the DVR must leave a water mark in the video.

I had a guy break into my old work truck 9 times in a 1 year period. Most of the time he got nothing, and all it cost me was new tool boxes and locks. I contacted our local pd to come out and run prints on my truck. It went like this...

"Chandler PD, how can we not help you"

"yeah, my work truck was broken into, I need some one out here to take some prints and a copy of my camera footage"

"We're sorry sir, this will be a report by phone only, we aren't able to pull prints off of tool boxes".

"Ok, my toolbox is one of the non diamond plate versions. It's plain flat white gloss painted metal, you can get prints from it. I can also point out directly where the guy touched my windows, my doors, my truck bed, and even where he sat on my wife's trunk and left 2 full handprints on it".

"We're sorry sir, it will just be a report by phone"

"yeah, thats not going to work very well at catching this guy is it. How about a copy of the cctv footage"

"If we apprehend the guy, we will come get a copy for prosecution purposes".

"oh, so you already know who he is and don't need his prints or a crystal clear image of his face in order to pick him up"?

.... Fucking Crickets from the PD. and no, they never caught the guy. However, 2 of my neighbors did, and I know that fuckers never coming back into my neighborhood. He can still walk but he knows better now. It's been about 3 years since he came by on his bi weekly visits. I bet local pd would have wanted a tape of that little incident but they can blow me.
Lately I've been hearing an interesting phrase by the local PD, "it's an insurance matter" which means they aren't going to do anything and will just leave it to you to settle the matter with your insurance company. I've found that often times it's best to call the prosecuting attorney VS the police if you have evidence as they like it when their job is easier VS the police who also like an easy job, just too bad for us that means doing nothing... :) My wife has had success with that method lately.

Mark Ducati
11-29-2010, 09:34 AM
A burglar had been casing a particular house for some time. Finally, he saw the owners leave for what appeared to be an extended camping trip. That night he broke in through a basement window and was trying to find his way in the dark when he heard what seemed to him to be the voice of a very old woman saying, "Shame on you! I see you, and Jesus sees you!"

Startled, the burglar snarls back, "Shut up, Grandma, or you're gonna get hurt!" He shines his flashlight all around, but no Grandma.

Again the voice, "Shame on you! I see you, and Jesus sees you!" Finally, the beam of the flashlight finds a large cage and in it a pretty upset parrot. Relieved, the burglar turns back around and starts toward the stairs, only to spot an enormous slavering doberman waiting at the top.

Just then the parrot screams, "Sic 'em, Jesus!"

F-16 CHIEF
11-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Integrated, thank you! That's what I need to know. I plan on doing the install myself. I don't see anything crazy stopping me from being able to complete this. I'll definitely ask for help. Thanks again!

AK47
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a similar setup that was used Homealone... Why try to reinvent the wheel... If you need a few thousand marbles, look me up...

Ruskiegunlover
11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
I have worked in the alarm industry for two years, and I have to say I have not seen or heard a lot that makes me want to recommend ANYONE. Only thing they are good for is smoke, but be prepared for hassles from the companies, false alarms, and fines. I have been working part time for one in customer service....get lots of troubleshooting calls, bill pays, angry people, people the company has screwed.....

alismith
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I've had Monitronics for years and like their service. Not overly expensive, either. They use wireless remotes and hook into the phone system. If the line is cut, that activates an alarm on their end and they notify the police. I have door-window alarms, smoke alarm, and motion detectors.

In my computer room I have guard snakes. The wife told me, tonight, that my rock python hisses at her, and tries to get to her when she comes in without me around (now, that's a good snake). The snakes are not part of Monitronics.:cool1:

Integratedj
11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
I've had Monitronics for years and like their service. Not overly expensive, either. They use wireless remotes and hook into the phone system. If the line is cut, that activates an alarm on their end and they notify the police. I have door-window alarms, smoke alarm, and motion detectors.

Do you have a cell or internet backup? If not, your sales rep lied to you. There is no other way for the monitoring center to know if your line has been cut. They are not watching you 24hours a day. Also, They will not call the police just for a line cut. If they did that, any time you had a storm and the lines went down or the phone company shut them off to work on them, it would look the same and would generate a huge amount of false alarms to the point the pd would no longer respond to any alarm calls.

I personally know of one Dealer of theirs that told very similar lies to get people to sign up, and they never knew any better until something happened and the system didn't perform as they expected.

Integratedj
11-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Integrated, thank you! That's what I need to know. I plan on doing the install myself. I don't see anything crazy stopping me from being able to complete this. I'll definitely ask for help. Thanks again!

When you go to buy your system, hit me up and I can make sure you got everything. If you have questions on how stuff works, let me know. I can walk you through it pretty easy.

When you go to buy it, look for a Honeywell Vista 20p, a 5881enh receiver, a 6160v keypad (that one will give you alpha descriptions and voice announcement, for a first time install it will make it much easier for you).
For contacts you want 5816wmwh or 5816wmbr (wmwh is white, wmbr is brown). For motions the part number is 5800pir-res(Don't buy the 5890pi, they are outdated and false when the batts go low). Glass break part number is 5853. If you are doing any other kind of device let me know and I can get you the numbers.
You'll need 22/4 wire to hook up to the Keypad, siren, transformer (Personally I run 18/2, but 22/4 will work also) and phone connections.

Integratedj
11-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I have worked in the alarm industry for two years, and I have to say I have not seen or heard a lot that makes me want to recommend ANYONE. Only thing they are good for is smoke, but be prepared for hassles from the companies, false alarms, and fines. I have been working part time for one in customer service....get lots of troubleshooting calls, bill pays, angry people, people the company has screwed.....

Yeah, there are some seriously shitty companies out there doing work. Both for the big and little places. Especially "Authorized Dealers" their goal is numbers not quality, and it shows in their work.

90% plus of all false alarms are caused by dumb home owners or piss poor installs. You should see those same angry screaming people when we go on site to service and it is obvious they are the cause. They stop screaming pretty quick. Every one has a big sack over the phone, no one does once you are in their house and point out the error.
Fines happen most to stupid people unable to follow simple commands that repeatedly screw up.
"People the company has screwed" usually translates to "Customer was dumb and didn't read or understand a contract that they just signed" or "Customer was in way over their head and can't afford what they just had installed, so now they want to try the bitch session pity pay down trick".

I used to feel bad for them when I worked only in the office doing the same things you mentioned. Then I met them in person, and had to smell the pit they call a house and see how they go through life. The thing I learned, is the one who bitches the loudest is 99% of the time the most full of shit and they know it.