PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a 9mm?

NAPOTS
07-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been contemplating my next pistol purchase.
My first handgun was a ruger redhawk .44 mag

Then I bought a CZ75B in 9mm
Then a Springfield 1911 MilSpec in .45
then a Kimber Eclipse Target II in .45
then a Wilson Combat CQB in .45

I Sold the CZ and Springfield to finance the CQB.

Lately I have been considering getting another 9mm because my girlfriend has trouble handling the .45.

I never really liked the CZ and wasn't crazy about the calliber.

I am leaning towards a P226. We don't have CCW per say here in CA so I am not really interested in a compact and I am not really that interested in a polymer pistol. I think the FNP or XDM would be on my list if I was. I am afraid I'd like a 1911 in 9mm but it seems like sacrilidge to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? And before you mention .40 S&W as an inbetween I'd feel enclined to go 10mm instead which would defeat the whole purpose I am going after.

ready
07-22-2010, 11:36 PM
.40 has a lot of muzzle flip in my opinion. P226's are great, it's one of my 4 concealed carry guns. I always wanted to try out a 9mm 1911, I bet that'd shoot great as well. I know you said you didn't want polymer but if that changes, I'd look at H&K's.

ubersoldate
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I have a 226r navy. Heavy, solid, reliable, not mentioning accurate!
Sig makes a great firearm.

l921428x
07-23-2010, 03:41 AM
I don't know if you NEED one but if you WANT one then by all means go get one. I have a Glock 19 and I like it but I have always thought the 9mm was an under powered round. Let us know what happens.

mriddick
07-23-2010, 05:59 AM
IMO the 9mm's have a snappier kick then the 45acp, to me the 45 has less felt recoil. That said I own a half dozen 45's and about a dozen 9's. My personal favorite is the SIG P6 (225).

ltorlo64
07-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a G19 that I really like. I have qualified on the Baretta a few times and I don't like the way it shoots. When I fire it, it twists in my hand. The G19 comes straight back. I got the G19 because my wife and daughter would not even consider shooting my .45acp. I have wanted to shoot the P226. I read good things about it and I really like the way it looks. It is just more than I wish to spend, which is why I ended up with the Glock.

O.S.O.K.
07-23-2010, 09:11 AM
If this is for the GF, then you may consider getting a Ruger MkII for her to shoot if you don't have one already. She will enjoy that a lot.

Otherwise, sure, you need a 9mm :D

You might check to see about a police trade-in G17 if you're looking for a good shooter for not much $$$.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-23-2010, 11:45 AM
You don't need "a" 9mm.

You need TWO 9mm's.

weevil
07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm not a huge 9mm fan but I've got a couple.

It's probably the most commonly used handgun caliber and ammo is the easiest to find and cheapest of the common calibers.

My current CCW is a Kel-Tec P11 and to me that's where I think the 9 really shines is in small concealable pistols. For a full-size duty pistol I'll take a .45 or a 10mm but for a little pistol the 9 is ideal in that it's a small cartridge that still packs a punch.

cciota
07-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Do you need a 9mm?
It's kinda like chicken soup. It can't hurt

raxar
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
if you can find one consider the Daewoo DP-51, they're all metal and very well made

NewbieAKguy
07-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I've had nothing but good luck with my xd9. Heck, SA even switch out the front sight for me for free. For price I've read the ruger SR9 is a good 9mm pistol.

HDR
07-24-2010, 06:06 AM
.40 has a lot of muzzle flip in my opinion.

Excellent thought as too much muzzle flip takes more time to recover from.

old Grump
07-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Whats the matter with a 22 pistol? Cheaper to shoot she can practice more and when she is ready to step up she will have a better idea of what she wants in a gun.

Charliebravo
07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, you need a 9mm. For ammo price/availability, parts price/availability, magazine price/availability, and ease of maintenance and repair, the Glock 19 is awfully hard to beat. If you just want something to plink with at the range, then get a .22 or a 1911 in 9mm. If it's something you (or she) may have to depend on one day, go with the 19.

American Rage
07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
CDNN currently has 'American Tactical' model 92s for $299.

they seem to be a direct ripoff of the Beretta 92 series.

Rage

Sr Wing Commander
07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Winchester makes a bonded hollow point +p round in 9mm. Can't remember the name off the top of my head for some reason, have to look it up. It delivers more ftlbs then ball .40. When people tell me 9mm is weak, I kind of laugh, show them that and ask if they would like to stand out in front of one of these coming at them :). It's what my wife has in her G19. My next pistol will probably be a 1911...but I feel fine with my 9mm's with those babies in them, and practice ammo is still pretty cheap compared to the bigger rounds.

Uncle Scary
07-27-2010, 11:10 PM
There was an interview (I forgot where I read it) where an Israeli Secret Service member was asked about the 9mm ball ammo that he was issued. If he thought it was inadequate manstopper. He replied that the 9mm will do its job if he does his.

swampdragon
07-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Don't get a Gluck man!
Didn't you see Death502's video?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/deth502/glockworks.gif

l921428x
07-28-2010, 04:44 AM
Winchester makes a bonded hollow point +p round in 9mm. Can't remember the name off the top of my head for some reason, have to look it up. It delivers more ftlbs then ball .40. When people tell me 9mm is weak, I kind of laugh, show them that and ask if they would like to stand out in front of one of these coming at them :). It's what my wife has in her G19. My next pistol will probably be a 1911...but I feel fine with my 9mm's with those babies in them, and practice ammo is still pretty cheap compared to the bigger rounds.

Hell, I would not want to stand in front of someone throwing a rock at me. So what is the point here?

Paladin
07-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I carry a 1911 in 45. But here is so much 9 around it seems I should have something to launch it. So I have, and practice with, a Springfield 1911 in 9. Same same weight, feel, trigger as my 45. There is a small difference, but small. My brain, eye, and hand do not really notice the difference. To me personally, this is important...

About the round itself; Theodore Paris built one of the first chopped S&W 39s (the ASP) for covert operatives. Later he developed the "quell" targeting technique that demanded bullet placement as a primary consideration. He clearly demonstrated that bullet placement is more important in handgun shootings (at the distance they normally occur) than caliber. What difference does it make if you explode a kidney with 9 or 45, right? I prefer the 45 because I like to hedge my bets. And because I started shooting it first...

Let me just say this; go to bed and just before you fall asleep decide that just as you wake up in the morning, you will make a final decision. It will be the decision you can live with easiest, the least regrets. Confidence is a real big plus when you are administering a sucking chest wound to the bad guy.

Still got the Wilson? Don't sell it without letting me know. OK?

NAPOTS
07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
The 9mm would be for the lady for home defense because the .45 is too much for her, but I would shoot it a bit too because its a lot cheaper than .45.

I'd never ditch the .45 ACP as my round of choice.

Sorry Paladin, but the Wilson is staying where it is. You should try and find a lightly used one they seem to go for around $1500, its a great gun.

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh, defense too.

Well then a 9mm would be good yeah. And as you are well aware, there are a bizillian choices.

HDR
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM
You don't need "a" 9mm.

You need TWO 9mm's.

THREE

One for each hand and one to hold between your teeth pirate dagger style. lol

There was an interview (I forgot where I read it) where an Israeli Secret Service member was asked about the 9mm ball ammo that he was issued. If he thought it was inadequate manstopper. He replied that the 9mm will do its job if he does his.

That is the trick with all firearms.

There are all these non-survivors of wars whose exit from life can about via a 9mm using FMJ. AFA as a pistol caliber's longevity in war the 45 and 9 rule.

Yet it is lacking? :confused1::confused1: