PDA

View Full Version : If things got really bad, what skills?

Focused Gunfire
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
What would you tell someone to learn is they asked you what would be best to know if SHTF? I am thinking about getting some books on gardening and food storage, but what other subjects would be worth looking into? Could you guys recommend some good, easy to follow books?

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Books are a good start, but canning especially, and food storage to some extent takes physical experience or you'll screw up. Don't learn once things are bad, learn now while you can still afford to F it up. If you mess up, you'll open up a rotten can of tasty botox right when you need good food the most.
Remember that dehydrated storage requires extra water storage as well.

Check out Pioneerwoman.com
My wife gets recipes and tips from there and damn. All I know is, I would never feel unprepared if I lived with her. Also, her recipes are the true definition of comfort food.

I would also learn how to forage in the area that you live in. Learn what wild plants, roots, nuts and berries you can eat, and especially which ones to avoid. Learn how to build a good shelter out in the boonies with minimal hand tools, as well as how to start fires. Go do this stuff on weekends with either your kids or people you know you will be with if shtf.

Know how to do it, not just how to read a book on how to do it.

swampdragon
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
I think it would depend on your interpretation of "really bad?"
That's extremely vague, as it could apply to a variety of various situations quite different from each other.

That said however, in most disaster type scenarios...
The first resources that get bogged down completely is usually Police, Fire and Hospitals.

I would start with being well-versed in First-Aid and CPR.
If your only plan is to take a loved-one to the hospital in case of injury or something, it's possible they can die anyways just from having to wait and wait and wait.

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I think it would depend on your interpretation of "really bad?"
That's extremely vague, as it could apply to a variety of various situations quite different from each other.

That said however, in most disaster type scenarios...
The first resources that get bogged down completely is usually Police, Fire and Hospitals.

I would start with being well-versed in First-Aid and CPR.
If your only plan is to take a loved-one to the hospital in case of injury or something, it's possible they can die anyways just from having to wait and wait and wait.

Yeah, that is extremely important. My wife passed out recently and split her head on our elliptical machine. The Nurse that did her stitches actually gave me a lesson in how to do them properly. How to clean and sterilize, as well as close and tend wounds is great knowledge to have. Sometimes super glue, paper towels and duct tape just aren't enough to get it done and stitching is needed. I'm glad I know it as well as other First aid skills.

swampdragon
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that is extremely important. My wife passed out recently and split her head on our elliptical machine. The Nurse that did her stitches actually gave me a lesson in how to do them properly. How to clean and sterilize, as well as close and tend wounds is great knowledge to have. Sometimes super glue, paper towels and duct tape just aren't enough to get it done and stitching is needed. I'm glad I know it as well as other First aid skills.

OT just a little, but is your wife OK?
What happened?

Focused Gunfire
12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, what happened? Did she just over do it on the contraption?

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
As far as they can tell a blood pressure drop made her pass out. She whacked her head on the elliptical as she fell. Got a concussion out of it. She's doing a little better, but the docs are still working on what exactly is causing things, and how to treat it.
The stitches the PA at the Hospital did were great. You can barely see the scar and that's if you know where to look. She got 6 of them.

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
You know, an Edit button would save bandwidth I would think...

I wanted to add, there are several videos on different stitching techniques on youtube, Also, you can learn how to remove that 3rd nipple that has always bothered you and stitch it up...We all have that problem right? :eyebrows:

Just search Suture or stitches. You'll find them. Some are actual medical training videos.

swampdragon
12-04-2010, 08:13 PM
As far as they can tell a blood pressure drop made her pass out. She whacked her head on the elliptical as she fell. Got a concussion out of it. She's doing a little better, but the docs are still working on what exactly is causing things, and how to treat it.
The stitches the PA at the Hospital did were great. You can barely see the scar and that's if you know where to look. She got 6 of them.

Wow.
Send her our best wishes and hopefully the docs will get this figured out quick!
Imagine if she'd been driving at the time or something.

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, what happened? Did she just over do it on the contraption?

She wasn't working out when it happened. She was making some awesome pumpkin cream pies in the kitchen and felt faint. On her way to lay down she went out. First time it's ever happened to her before, and she didn't know to just get to the ground when she felt that way.

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow.
Send her our best wishes and hopefully the docs will get this figured out quick!
Imagine if she'd been driving at the time or something.

That is something I have thought about often, and am very thankful that it didn't happen while she was driving.
They think a lot of it is stress related, as well as possible dehydration and working to hard.

Nimbly
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
First Aid and CPR are paramount. Food storage wouldn't hurt, but incase you have to leave the area it may not be practical. Natural disasters (I live in a Tsunami zone) and such. Knowing what plants and animals are eatable would help. There is a big book put out by the US army about all sorts of stuff you should know. Like what snakes, plants, and spiders are poisonous, what plants are helpful (Skunk cabbage helps heal cuts and burns) and stuff like that. General bush-craft stuff. And get a lock-pick set and book on that (check legality first). Just in case you find a abandoned building you could sack.

swampdragon
12-05-2010, 02:48 AM
That is something I have thought about often, and am very thankful that it didn't happen while she was driving.
They think a lot of it is stress related, as well as possible dehydration and working to hard.

Keep us posted.

arcangel
12-05-2010, 03:45 AM
First aid is priority with food, and water. Gunsmithing would be an ideal thing for those that dont know how to keep their shit running. Carpentry, metal work, reloading, being able to fix machines, or cars. Depends really how long things go out. The more you know the more your worth.

swampdragon
12-05-2010, 04:26 AM
First aid is priority with food, and water. Gunsmithing would be an ideal thing for those that dont know how to keep their shit running. Carpentry, metal work, reloading, being able to fix machines, or cars. Depends really how long things go out. The more you know the more your worth.

Yep.

Water
Food
Shelter
First Aid
Self-Defense

Those are my top 5.
The order can change around depending on the specific situation.

But yes, I agree.
The more you can learn about as many things as possible...the better off you'll be.
No doubt about it.

HDR
12-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Books are a good start, but canning especially, and food storage to some extent takes physical experience or you'll screw up. Don't learn once things are bad, learn now while you can still afford to F it up. If you mess up, you'll open up a rotten can of tasty botox right when you need good food the most.
Remember that dehydrated storage requires extra water storage as well.

Excellent post. The learning curve to learn how to effectively grow, harvest and store food than it does to effectively shoot and maintain weapons. Napoleon said "an army marches on its stomach"; to survive you must eat.

I would also learn how to forage in the area that you live in. Learn what wild plants, roots, nuts and berries you can eat, and especially which ones to avoid. Learn how to build a good shelter out in the boonies with minimal hand tools, as well as how to start fires. Go do this stuff on weekends with either your kids or people you know you will be with if shtf[/quot]

Again excellent advice. Some plants are poisonous or will make you sick; know enough to avoid the experience.

I know how to build a good shelter which means I also know it sucks to live in one. lol Before you get into the shelter know the terrain around you; exit lanes etc.

Besides learning which plants you can eat; pay attention plants which contain vitamins that your body will need.

[QUOTE=Integratedj;70276]Know how to do it, not just how to read a book on how to do it.

Also, avoid being the totally prepared for WW-III but starving to death guerrilla warrior. ;)

HDR
12-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Is it something the docs are concerned about?

Integratedj
12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Is it something the docs are concerned about?

They think they have it narrowed down. Im a bad husband and forgot the exact term they have for what happened to her. Something about sudden blood pressure loss. We go in next week to see the cardiologist together about it and figure out what the treatment for it will be.
They have had her run all sorts of tests. Heart Monitor for a few days, EEG, EKG, Tilt Table and a bunch of others. So far her brain is absolutely perfect and ok other than the concussion issue. What pisses me off is the Neurologist gave her a prescription to help prevent the headaches her concussion gives her every day, but in reading all of the side effects, it is known to cause all of the same issues that made her pass out in the first place, as well as a bunch of other really bad shit like blindness in 1 out of every 500 patients that use it as well as amplifying the confusion effects of the concussion. She read the info sheet that came with it, and I heard an "F that" in regards to taking it. She said she's rather deal with the headaches than risk all of the side effects. This was one of the worst side effects lists I have ever seen, and with piss poor odds listed on it as well. Kind of annoying to go through, but we'll get through it.

I can tell you I've never been so scared in my entire life as when I saw her go out and hit that machine. The elliptical weights in around 240lbs, and she hit it hard enough it moved about 4 inches and only stopped because of the wall behind it. If you can imagine the sound of a pumpkin being dropped from a roof and hitting the pavement, that's what it sounded like when she hit it. Out cold and covered with blood. Right as I was dialing 911, she sat up and looks at me and says "Why did you want me to sit on the floor"?

She had no idea what had happened. I got her calmed down and the bleeding stopped and got her to the hospital. They were awesome and got her right in and taken care of. I've never had a hospital treat some one so well, and especially get us in so fast. Normally there is a 2-3 hour wait while you bleed to death waiting for Pablo and his 27 illegal family members to get their head colds taken care of for free first. They bypassed that whole mess for us and provided excellent care.

All in all things are looking better every day, and I learned how I would react first hand to that kind of emergency. I hope we never have that happen again, but at least I'm prepared to deal with it now. My Suture kit should be showing up pretty soon and then I'm going to practice the different stitch techniques like crazy until I am really good at it.

HDR
12-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Sounds as if the news is good...

I was behind an accident where someone passed out while driving. The driver just passed out. He did not remember a thing that happened either. There was a doctor there and from what I gathered this is more common than I would have guessed.

If possible always get a surgeon; they sew better so there is less scarring.

Damn, that was a rattle the cage situation...

Integratedj
12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds as if the news is good...

I was behind an accident where someone passed out while driving. The driver just passed out. He did not remember a thing that happened either. There was a doctor there and from what I gathered this is more common than I would have guessed.

If possible always get a surgeon; they sew better so there is less scarring.

Damn, that was a rattle the cage situation...

My nuts were all the way up in my throat, that's for sure. I'm just glad I didn't freeze up when it happened and was able to get her in ok.

ok, back on topic I guess.
As far as preparedness goes, here are two sites that are excellent tutorials for Canning and dehydrating. Lots of how to vids and great recipes.
If you dehydrate, store extra water for rehydration later. Also if you go the dehydration route, don't bother if you are only going to use the cheaper round dehydrators that you get at wall mart etc... They don't fully dehydrate down here in the dry ass desert, and they sure as hell won't do it anywhere more humid. If you are going to rely on dehydrated food for survival, make sure it is still good and not molded/spoiled. Use a commercial type like the Excalibur.

www.thepioneerwoman.com Learn to cook like this and you'll never be unhappy.
www.dehydrate2store.com

HDR
12-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I know the feeling and that it is different when it is family. Now you know that you won't freeze.

To what you said earlier I'll add the time to learn foraging and what plants are edible is now, not then.
Another one is how to butcher what you shoot and also how to preserve it.

Btw, we thank you for the www.thepioneerwoman.com (http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/) site and I see what you meant about comfort food.

ubersoldate
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I cant speak on a war shtf, or the horrors of combat during peacetime, in a friendly nation, but just common sense comes in to play.

-First aid.

-BEING HEALTHY from the start. Something that isnt just a item one can go out and buy, one has to think ahead, and if there are medical issues, then make sure that medication is in place for you and or other needs ahead of time. Extra glasses, and other needs should be priority.

-Handyman, mechanic, working with your hands. Everything breaks, and if its a shtf, there will be no one to call, learn to work on your stuff!

-Trapping. When was the last time you tried to even use one? Have you ever? I have a few claw traps, and a havahart box trap, they come in handy when you are too tired to do your own trapping for small game.

-Fishing. duh.

-Knowing the plants to eat in your area. Knowing what NOT to eat.

Integratedj
12-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Along the lines of trapping, Guitar strings make great snares.

ubersoldate
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Along the lines of trapping, Guitar strings make great snares.

Slip ring already attached to one end is pretty cool!

Integratedj
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Slip ring already attached to one end is pretty cool!

Yup. I actually used one to snare a fish last time I went to the river. Almost cut it in half though...

arcangel
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
In our home we have 6 violins, would violin strings work as well? Learning to make things like rope, and other essentials could be vital, and make things more comfortable. Fishing nets, home made soap, candles.

swampdragon
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
In our home we have 6 violins, would violin strings work as well? Learning to make things like rope, and other essentials could be vital, and make things more comfortable. Fishing nets, home made soap, candles.

You should plant hemp all over your back yard.
That stuff is really handy.

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Dumb question...Can you plant hemp?

swampdragon
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Dumb question...Can you plant hemp?

Not that I'm aware of legally.
I was joking.

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Not that I'm aware of legally.
I was joking.

Okay making sure.Got to wonder about you sometimes.

HDR
12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I cant speak on a war shtf, or the horrors of combat during peacetime, in a friendly nation, but just common sense comes in to play.

AFA war, the basics are the same and the fine details aren't.

-Knowing the plants to eat in your area. Knowing what NOT to eat.

I've heard the time not to learn is when you are starving. ;)

ubersoldate
12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I've heard the time not to learn is when you are starving. ;)

Thats the truth!

Your judgement kind of goes out the window...

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Uber have you learned how to make an igloo yet?With all that snow you might need it.

ubersoldate
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Uber have you learned how to make an igloo yet?With all that snow you might need it.

Ha the kids and I took 5 gallon buckets and made some cool walls and ramps for the saucers but no igloo...
Ive got some nice weather this last week. Its been in the 50s and nice and clear!

Thats the Sierra nevada's though huh? COLD, a TON of snow, then a week later its nice out!
I still cant get my car within 100m of my property though, road up to the house is still blocked!

I hope the weather holds till at least Sat, Im doing some grey squirrel hunting on Friday!

You take anything at your spot this week?

HDR
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Thats the truth!

Your judgement kind of goes out the window...

And the contents of your stomach exit via the northern or southern route.

Learning how to avoid old time diseases such as scurvy would be wise also.

Scurvy was one of the limiting factors of marine travel, often killing large numbers of the passengers and crew on long-distance voyages. This became a significant issue in Europe from the beginning of the modern era in the Age of Discovery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Discovery) in the 15th century, continuing to play a significant role through World War I in the 20th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Ha the kids and I took 5 gallon buckets and made some cool walls and ramps for the saucers but no igloo...
Ive got some nice weather this last week. Its been in the 50s and nice and clear!

Thats the Sierra nevada's though huh? COLD, a TON of snow, then a week later its nice out!
I still cant get my car within 100m of my property though, road up to the house is still blocked!

I hope the weather holds till at least Sat, Im doing some grey squirrel hunting on Friday!

You take anything at your spot this week?

We took the week off,heading out this weekend for my son's first hunt.He is ready for his buck!Can't wait for Friday.

Crazy weather,much like Texas lol.good luck on the squirrels,you are going to need a dozen to make a meal.

ubersoldate
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
And the contents of your stomach exit via the northern or southern route.

Learning how to avoid old time diseases such as scurvy would be wise also.

No doubt. So many people will tell you they plan on trapping, or shooting their meals and never take into consideration the things the human body needs to operate longterm.
Ive been a firm believer of keeping a few small essentials in my pack, even my light little day packs...

Some packets of E-mergency, and 5-6 multivitamin pills..
One can go a long time on bush rat, and rain water if he is getting the nutrients!

I would think, that if a prolonged shtf fan happened, vitamins would be worth their weight in lead!

ubersoldate
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
We took the week off,heading out this weekend for my son's first hunt.He is ready for his buck!Can't wait for Friday.

Crazy weather,much like Texas lol.good luck on the squirrels,you are going to need a dozen to make a meal.

You guys as well!
My oldest, and my neighbor are going to go out and just have fun, make up a batch of dumplins!

AKTexas
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM
You guys as well!
My oldest, and my neighbor are going to go out and just have fun, make up a batch of dumplins!

Sounds like a well planned meal.Post some pics,everyone likes pics.

HDR
12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
No doubt. So many people will tell you they plan on trapping, or shooting their meals and never take into consideration the things the human body needs to operate longterm.

I am often tempted to ask them have they used the traps they will be carrying?

Ive been a firm believer of keeping a few small essentials in my pack, even my light little day packs...

Some packets of E-mergency, and 5-6 multivitamin pills..
One can go a long time on bush rat, and rain water if he is getting the nutrients!

Our bodies need many vitamins; Vitamin C prevents scurvy and is fairly easy to get. Iodine which our thyroids need is a different subject. Magnesium and potassium (cramps) are also something we need. Mustard has a lot of magnesium in it. :)

I would think, that if a prolonged shtf fan happened, vitamins would be worth their weight in lead!

Ditto and vitamins are what most people won't have...

Focused Gunfire
12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Integratedj, I hope that you find the cause of this and that it not something real bad. Also if a doctor gave me a non life saving drug with a list of side effects like that, I would have said F that too. Anyway.

Practice, the more you know the more your worth. Roger that. Have done some stuff, like fishing, but other things not so much. Here is a list so far of the helpful topics out there.

First Aid, CPR, and stitches
Food storage
Foraging for good, vitamin diverse food, and avoiding the bad
Be healthy, have extra eye glasses and such
Know how to defend your self and others
Carpentry; already have a book on this, need more practice
Metal work, like what?
Trapping
Fishing
Hunting and butchering
How to start fires
How to make things like soap, rope, and candles
Gunsmithing
Reloading
How to build a good shelter with minimal tools
How to fix machines
Lock picking set and book, any recommendations?

I have to say that is a good list of knowledge to have. But what about looking into how the local natives lived before the white man? Maybe the ways of the depression era or before electrical energy was in common use? Would looking into one of the sciences, like chemistry, be worth the time in your opinion?

Thanks for all the help you have heaped into this thread. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help a stranger. And of course thank God for a free internet where we can talk about this kind of stuff.

Integratedj
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey, lists are awesome...

Metal work= Learn how to weld. It doesn't have to be pretty, but at least learn to stick things together really well (Don't wear contact lenses while welding).
Also a rough knowledge of different metals properties and what to use them for. I would also add that you should learn to make a forge. It's really not that hard to do. I need to make a new one, but my old one was just a bunch of leftover concrete blocks and our local clay.

If you have power, vacuum motors are great for feeding oxygen. If no power, learn how to construct a Bellows.

Keep a hammer and an Anvil at your house. I won't drag one around with me, but if at home they come in handy often.

For lock picking, youtube has a ton of how to videos.
I hate to say this because I work in security, but look up "bump key". Thank 60minutes for the crazy number of hits on those videos and how many thug bitches do this now. They work great though, and much faster than any pick set I've seen.

We get results from the Doc nest week. Thanks for the kind words all.

O.S.O.K.
12-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Just thought that I would add a little here - don't think anybody's mentioned "tinker".

That is, being able to fix all kinds of stuff = stuff that isn't being resuplied - toasters, electric skillets, lights, radios, etc. - stuff.

Also - blacksmithing.

Furrier (shoeing horses...)

Animal husbandry (no, not what you're thinking Swampy :lool: )

There would be lots of skills that would be needed in a melt-down situation...

Leadership is another biggy if you're in a "social" situation - which almost all of us are.

Dr. Gonzo GED
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I don;t know.

I'm damn resourceful when it comes to making necessary tools out of bits of scrap. To the point that I can improvise just about any of the seven "simple machines" on the spot with whatever is lying around.

The same flexibility goes to practical problem solving and logistics.

This is all vague however, until you find yourself in a spot with me.

Otherwise, I just have a bizarre collection of practical knowledge. Martial arts, distilling, crafts, improvised munitions and explosives (more useful for starting fires with odd household chemicals than for fighting in my mind...) just to name a few...

swampdragon
12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Just thought that I would add a little here - don't think anybody's mentioned "tinker".

That is, being able to fix all kinds of stuff = stuff that isn't being resuplied - toasters, electric skillets, lights, radios, etc. - stuff.

Also - blacksmithing.

Furrier (shoeing horses...)

Animal husbandry (no, not what you're thinking Swampy :lool: )

Leadership is another biggy if you're in a "social" situation - which almost all of us are.

I understand...lol:laugh:

The farrier was just here today actually.
He took one of my horses for training for the next few months and trimmed hooves on the other three.
Knowing how to properly care for and breed livestock is a great advantage.
I have 24 head of cattle out on my land now.

HDR
12-12-2010, 11:25 AM

As no one has them all; they will either do without or back to the barter system.

The bitter pill to swallow is a shtf warrior will be low on the list of needs..

O.S.O.K.
12-12-2010, 04:52 PM
The bitter pill to swallow is a shtf warrior will be low on the list of needs..

Well, I certainly hope that's the case - otherwise we're talkin mad max.

Gunner1558
12-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Real SHTF situation?

Butchering, tanning hides, making moccasins, blacksmithing, distilling alcohol,

Learning to do things that others will want you to do for them. If you can fix things for people who can't fix them, you will always be able to barter your skills.

HDR
12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, I certainly hope that's the case - otherwise we're talkin mad max.

Filling the stomach will be the number one priority and that is not a hope but a fact.

There is a reason most hunter-gatherer people in the TV documentaries are thin and none of us know how to survive as well as they do.

Uncle Scary
12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Making soap and candles would be good barter skills. So would making and repairing shoes and boots. If a person could find a way to synthesize a broad spectrum antibiotic (like penicillin), they would be the Bill Gates of the post apocalyptic world.

Schuetzenman
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
What would you tell someone to learn is they asked you what would be best to know if SHTF? I am thinking about getting some books on gardening and food storage, but what other subjects would be worth looking into? Could you guys recommend some good, easy to follow books?

Gardening, sure. How to can food, sure. How much to know depends on how far and big you plan for the Shit to hit the fan. Taken to it's logical extreme you might want to know; how to tan leather using the brains of the animal and a smoking fire. Black smithing, know how to build a forge and work metal into shapes. How to create traps and snares to catch small game. How to build a spinning wheel and how to make thread / yarn from animal wool or plant fibers. Weaving would go along with that one. How to refine feces; barn yard animal waste, bat guano for potassium nitrate. And just in case the Bic lighters run out, learn how to find flint and use it to make a fire.

HDR
12-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Food growing and processing skills (ie. milling wheat) will be important also.

No matter how much you have it won't last as long as you'll need.