PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS for $200? worth it?

gunsnetadmin
12-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I have an opportunity to pick one up... good deal?

No clip or ammo:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1212/sksk.jpg

filthy phil
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
clip? you mean MAG?
lol
great price, many sks's go for $300

El Laton Caliente
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
All of my SKSs are in original configuration and I like them that way. I consider them collectors and not go to rifles. I save that for the AKs, Snipers and HKs.

What you have there is a shooter and the price isn't bad if that is what you want. Not a steal, but reasonable. If you get it you should get a fixed mag for it. I've never seen good reliability from the high cap detachables.

alismith
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
It's worth $200.

El Laton Caliente
12-05-2010, 12:08 PM
clip? you mean MAG?
lol
great price, many sks's go for $300

I'd agree if they had all the original parts and mag with it.

O.S.O.K.
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Well, since this is a chopped Yugo - I'm going to say no. If you are interested in an economical shooter in that caliber - go with a 7.62x39 Saiga - Centerfire has them for $349... http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Centerfire-Systems-Inc/holiday_2010_opt/2010111201/

if you really want the classic SKS - go with something like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203544777
Only a couple hours left on that auction - but there's a long list of SKS's and many are around $200 - and in one piece. You can get the bayo to install too...

The Yugos are very good shooters but I personally prefer Romanian, Russian, Chinese with chromed bores.

But I maintain that the Saiga is a much much better deal for the money - easy to convert to pistol grip and is designed to take the high cap mags (very minor mod needed to allow that).

Infidelski
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Is there or was there compliance concerns about the Yugo SKS having to remain in its original configuration? I seem to remember something about this, if this is the case then be sure its legit with the stock thats on it and mag...

gunsnetadmin
12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Is there or was there compliance concerns about the Yugo SKS having to remain in its original configuration? I seem to remember something about this, if this is the case then be sure its legit with the stock thats on it and mag...

what do you mean by compliance concerns? Compliant with who? Let me know if I should pass or not.. its from an individual and I dont have to buy.

Infidelski
12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
what do you mean by compliance concerns? Compliant with who? Let me know if I should pass or not.. its from an individual and I dont have to buy.

I'm not all that into the legalese of C&R and 922 and there has to be someone who knows for sure around here but there was something about if you changed one part then you had to change a bunch of parts, think its all about how they were imported as C&R rifles so they are legit if left alone but if you want to make any changes you'll have to be sure they are 922 compliant. I have a yugo and its a fine SKS rifle but for me the SKS like Caliente is better left alone, laws or not...

El Laton Caliente
12-05-2010, 02:27 PM
The C&R stuff should not kick in unless you are going to transfer it on a C&R licence. I'm not as up on it as I should be with SKSs, but the 922 compliance is supposed to be there for high cap mags, folding stocks, etc. That said, I've never, ever heard of anyone charged for putting a folder or detachable mag on a SKS.

slamfire51
12-09-2010, 07:46 AM
The same applies to a SKS as it does for an AK. But the SKS doesn't have a detachable mag or pistol grip, so I'm really not sure how many parts would need to be changed out.
TAPCO made 922 compliant pistons/operating rods for the conversion.