PDA

View Full Version : 3 hours of work last weekend...

Vorkutinetz
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
And here is 40 out of 225 dumplings that came out of it....Just like my mothers....yummy:) Will be making more this weekend, my girls love them:)
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/pelmeni.jpg

ubersoldate
12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
NICE!

You need to hurry up and win the lotto, to open up a russian resturaunt in ATX....

Your camping food was awesome as well!

Vorkutinetz
12-09-2010, 08:45 PM
NICE!

You need to hurry up and win the lotto, to open up a russian resturaunt in ATX....

Your camping food was awesome as well!

Thank man. I do like cooking and a restaurant idea had crossed my mind, but if I had to do it for a living, I think, at some point that would take the fun out of it:) I'll just continue cooking for friends and family for now:)
And I would happily fix you up a plate, Kevin, if you are ever back in Austin.:)

ubersoldate
12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Thank man. I do like cooking and a restaurant idea had crossed my mind, but if I had to do it for a living, I think, at some point that would take the fun out of it:) I'll just continue cooking for friends and family for now:)
And I would happily fix you up a plate, Kevin, if you are ever back in Austin.:)

Thank you my brother, vacation I will hit you up for sure!
Moving?

I wont get in a moving truck for the rest of my life, ever, no matter what, not if my life depended on it, not even to save a bus full of kittens from nazi's. No way no how. Lol!

Vorkutinetz
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you my brother, vacation I will hit you up for sure!
Moving?

I wont get in a moving truck for the rest of my life, ever, no matter what, not if my life depended on it, not even to save a bus full of kittens from nazi's. No way no how. Lol!
Sounds good man:) Vacation or work trip, either way, give me a shout:)
and I totaly understand the moving part....I am right there with you:)

vit
12-09-2010, 11:43 PM
What kind of dumplings are those? Looks like a lot of work. Vareniki?
I love pelmeni - need to stop at the Russian grocery store and pick some up.

Vorkutinetz
12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
What kind of dumplings are those? Looks like a lot of work. Vareniki?
I love pelmeni - need to stop at the Russian grocery store and pick some up.

Those are pel'meni:) They have a 50/50 ground beef and pork combo in them. Havent attempted the vareniki yet. I will be making another batch this weeekend. And yes, it is some work. Dough takes a while, but the actual rolling the rounds and making the dumpling themselves takes the longest:)

ATAK, Inc.
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Those are pel'meni:) They have a 50/50 ground beef and pork combo in them. Havent attempted the vareniki yet. I will be making another batch this weeekend. And yes, it is some work. Dough takes a while, but the actual rolling the rounds and making the dumpling themselves takes the longest:)

Those look and sound real tasty!!!

This holiday I'm going to try to make Krebel. From my Prussian roots, a very tasty donut like pastry!

Vorkutinetz
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM

This holiday I'm going to try to make Krebel. From my Prussian roots, a very tasty donut like pastry!

That sounds like something my grandmother used to make. I assume that it is very simular to Russian ponchiki:) Very good stuff indeed.
I have not tried making pastry yet...the only desert like stuff I can make at this point it the napoleon cake...need to make one soon:)

Vorkutinetz
12-10-2010, 01:17 PM

That sounds like something my grandmother used to make. I assume that it is very simular to Russian ponchiki:) Very good stuff indeed.
I have not tried making pastry yet...the only desert like stuff I can make at this point it the napoleon cake...need to make one soon:)

L1A1Rocker
12-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Would it be too much to ask a resipe? I've never made those kinds of dumplings (mine are the Bisquet version) and I'd really like to try.

Vorkutinetz
12-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Would it be too much to ask a resipe? I've never made those kinds of dumplings (mine are the Bisquet version) and I'd really like to try.

It is not a problem at all..One thing though, I only know the proportions by feel and cant tell you how much of what goes into it:) My mom taught me to just go with what looks and feels right. The dough is fairly simple, flower, water, 2 eggs and salt....mixing it is a bitch though, got to pound the crap out of it untill its got a consitency of a tit...let it sit in a plastic bag for an hour, pound it some more and let it sit a while longer. Its got to be completely smooth and soft..no bubles or lumps. Meat is a 50/50 combo of ground beef and ground pork. The fatter the better. Add some salt into it, finelly chopped onion and some water for it to be a little softer....then the long part....You got to roll the dough into small circles (about 3" in diameter) put the meat in the middel and roll it. Pinch the edges really tight or its going to fall apart when they are boiled. Thats in a nut shell is all. I know, its not very descriptive....I am sorry. Next time I make them, I will photograph the entire process...it will make it easier:)

El Duce
12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Makes me wat a periogi.

AKTexas
12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Looks good Vork.

Are you in Austin?

Vorkutinetz
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Makes me wat a periogi.

LOL. Me too:)

Vorkutinetz
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Looks good Vork.

Are you in Austin?
Thanks man. Yes, I am in Austin.

L1A1Rocker
12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Yep, north Austin.

LOL, is that Round Rock or Georgetown?

Vorkutinetz
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
LOL, is that Round Rock or Georgetown?

Anderson Mill area. 620 and 183 -ish :)

AKTexas
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks man. Yes, I am in Austin.

Well we need to get a shoot together with all the local guys.OSOK is near by,I'm in San Antonio,Lynx is in Kyle...Not sure where everyone else is.

Vorkutinetz
12-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Well we need to get a shoot together with all the local guys.OSOK is near by,I'm in San Antonio,Lynx is in Kyle...Not sure where everyone else is.

We should. Definitly. Or at least have a BBQ nad few beers:)

AKTexas
12-14-2010, 09:47 PM
We should. Definitly. Or at least have a BBQ nad few beers:)

That is what Texans do best,beer and BBQ.

Vorkutinetz
12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
That is what Texans do best,beer and BBQ.

Thats right :) And we'll keep multicultural by throwing in some vodka :)

AKTexas
12-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Thats right :) And we'll keep multicultural by throwing in some vodka :)

Inebriation here I come :martinismiley: