PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry ducks out on $500,000 tax bill

mriddick
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Wasn't he one of those guys saying as a "rich" guy he didn't want the Bush tax cuts?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001117595/john-kerry-19907453212_xlarge.jpeg
How Come John Kerry Want To Raise Taxes But Not Pay Them?

Talk about a Swift Boat! Democratic Massachusetts Senator and former presidential candidate John Kerry has been caught in an embarrassing tax trap when it was revealed that his 76-foot luxury yacht is moored in Newport, Rhode Island in order to avoid a major, six-figure state tax bill.

According to the Boston Herald, Kerry, who has repeatedly voted in Congress to raise taxes, has moored the vessel not in Nantucket, where he and his wife summer, but instead in nearby Newport, which saves him around $70,000 in annual state excise taxes.

Thanks to a 1993 law that repealed boat sales and use taxes in R.I., Kerry not only saved the $70K a year in taxes, he may have also pocketed around $437,500 in sales tax savings on the $7 million boat.

Kerry’s spokesperson denied he was trying to avoid paying his fair share of the 6.25 percent sales tax and annual excise tax collected on yachts in his cash-strapped home state, explaining that the “Isabel” was designed by and purchased from a company in R.I. and based in the state “for long-term maintenance, upkeep and charter purposes, not tax reasons.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I believe the word that best describes this is hypocrisy.

O.S.O.K.
07-23-2010, 03:32 PM
What? A liberal caught in a hypocritical move not to pay taxes? No way, I just don't believe it. Can't be.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
What? A liberal caught in a hypocritical move not to pay taxes? No way, I just don't believe it. Can't be.

The funny thing is, I don't think he should have to pay crazy, punitive taxes like that either, but then I'm not a tax and spend liberal like Lurch.

imanaknut
07-23-2010, 04:27 PM
If he was a republican he would already be out of office, in jail and forced to pay back taxes, but being a wealthy democrat, he gets a free pass and a pat on the back.

mriddick
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I can't think of another state that would give their Senator a free pass after being caught not paying half a million in taxes to their own state...

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 04:34 PM
If he was a republican he would already be out of office, in jail and forced to pay back taxes, but being a wealthy democrat, he gets a free pass and a pat on the back.

I don't believe he's done anything illegal. Sure he's a hypocrite, but I don't think he's a criminal in this case.

HDR
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
The funny thing is, I don't think he should have to pay crazy, punitive taxes like that either, but then I'm not a tax and spend liberal like Lurch.

Kerry should support paying ridiculous taxes; the democrats want to tax the rich and he is quite rich. LOL

A lot of rich women sure seem to marry Senators and Congressmen maybe for the tax advantages?

mriddick
07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.ontheissues.org/2004/John_Kerry_Tax_Reform.htm

Alot of fun reading in there....

dfariswheel
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Charles Krauthammer had it......"Democrats lay taxes, they don't pay taxes".

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok, raise your hand if you wouldn't do the EXACT same thing in his place?

That said, what a slippery bastich!

gungorilla
07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Typical elitist politician with the "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

mriddick
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM

That said, what a slippery bastich!

Truthfully paying my taxes have never bothered me, I doubt I would do what he's done if in his posititon.

HDR
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM

If I had her (not his LOL) money backing me it would be pocket change.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001117595/john-kerry-19907453212_xlarge.jpeg

He has his pinky up. Its a tea cup salute..

:laugh: