PDA

View Full Version : Aim had S&W Model 39's

Tracy
12-11-2010, 12:42 AM
When I checked their link, they said that they were sold out.

I bought a 39-2 model 26 years ago. Anyone know the date of manufacture on a s/n A288,XXX?

It is my second line of home defense. My cat is my first. :)

https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/f1swm39.jpg

Richard Simmons
12-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Based on the Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd edition your serial# falls in the 1975-76 range (A265001-A295000). I'd say 1976.

Schuetzenman
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I shot the target version of that design that is chambered in .38 spl. Man what accuate sweet shooting pieces those were. I think they were model 52s.

Tracy
12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks Richard. Then it was less than ten years old when I bought it.

I've always liked the gun, but I did almost trade it in for a .357 Desert Eagle. I really liked that Desert Eagle but I'm a small guy and it would have hung on me like an AK47.

Those S&W's at AIM sold out pretty quickly.

Richard Simmons
12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
You're most welcome Tracy.

After reading this thread I dug mine out the other day. For being just under 40 years old (circa 1971) it's still a pretty slick design and feels good in the hand. Since I only paid $249 for it

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/MVC-393S.jpg

my original intentions were to carry it from time to time. Even picked up a Bianchi 19L OWB holster (about an inch of muzzle sticks out of the holster but other than that it works fine) but the more I thought about it I just couldn't justify putting the wear and tear on what is basically a like new firearm when I didn't need to.

My G26 carries two more rounds and probably isn't worth more than what I paid for it, if that. The 39-2 is worth almost twice what I paid though I did get a pretty sweet deal on it at $249, probably $100 less than the going rate at the time.

As stated, I often carry a G26 or a J frame S&W so a 39-2 with 9rds of +P ammo would be right up my alley for concealed carry. Maybe I'll change my mind about carrying it, or perhaps I'll take a second look at a couple a local store has, might be from the same source as AIM's. Given their condition and low capacity they may not move well and I can get another good deal on one.

Faulkner
12-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I had a 39 for a short period of time when I was a rookie deputy sheriff. Also owned a high capacity 59 too. They were both quality guns and it was my intention to carry them on duty but I never could hit crap with either one of them so I stayed with a S&W L frame 586 in .357 until I evenually went Glock and never looked back.

Tracy
12-25-2010, 12:03 AM
It's nice that you kept the box all those years. I have a tendency to be obsessive compulsive about keeping boxes to everything, especially if I plan on keeping something for a long time. It can add a lot to the value.

I never could hit anything with my 39-2 either, but I'm just naturally talented that way. I can't hit anything with my rifles either. :)

Schuetzenman
12-25-2010, 12:06 PM
It's nice that you kept the box all those years. I have a tendency to be obsessive compulsive about keeping boxes to everything, especially if I plan on keeping something for a long time. It can add a lot to the value.

I never could hit anything with my 39-2 either, but I'm just naturally talented that way. I can't hit anything with my rifles either. :)

You need knowledgable people to give you some shooting lessons then. Unless you are legally blind or have MS almost anybody if instructed by somebody that knows; 1 how to shoot and 2 how to instruct shooting should be able to significantly improve a poor marksmans skill sets.

Tracy
01-08-2011, 01:12 AM
That's true. And a little practice wouldn't kill me either. Hmmm...maybe "kill" wasn't the best choice of words there.