PDA

View Full Version : How to build a radiation detector with a glass jar, string, and aluminum foil

Uncle Scary
12-11-2010, 10:03 AM
It detects beta particle radiation, which is associated with some radioisotopes produced by nuclear explosions.

http://glx.net/~exile/electro.htm

ATAK, Inc.
12-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Way cool and a fun thing science wise.

You can make a Gamma detector for practically nothing.

All you need is some rope and a liberal. Hang it by the foot outside, if it starts to get extra-crispy, there is gamma radiation!

imanaknut
12-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Another way to detect nuclear explosions is look for the bright flash that is visible even in daylight. Once you see the flash you can be pretty certain that it will get very windy in a short while.

Full Otto
12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
What nonsense

Is what I used to hear way back when I started getting a few things together

http://i51.tinypic.com/14lhkxv.jpg

Uncle Scary
12-11-2010, 09:31 PM
What nonsense

Is what I used to hear way back when I started getting a few things together

http://i51.tinypic.com/14lhkxv.jpg

I know a guy who bought one of those CD radiation detectors. He said that unless you have the equipment to calibrate it, it was inaccurate. I don't have any experience with them. How do you calibrate yours?

Uncle Scary
12-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Another way to detect nuclear explosions is look for the bright flash that is visible even in daylight. Once you see the flash you can be pretty certain that it will get very windy in a short while.

You would be so fucked if you missed the bright flash because you were napping or in the restroom.

Full Otto
12-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I know a guy who bought one of those CD radiation detectors. He said that unless you have the equipment to calibrate it, it was inaccurate. I don't have any experience with them. How do you calibrate yours?

To be honest this is the first I've had it out in quite some time. It was reconditioned when I got it. I know I read up on some of the problems of some of those old one's before I got it. The small dot on the side in the center is a hot spot to test with. You have to be careful not to store the rod next to it or it will be contaminated and then useless and probably not easy to find a replacment these days. I'll have to go through that manual again and brush up
Others were out there with just the meter no earphones when I saw this one I nabbed it. This was 12 or so years ago before all the stuff going on these days.
I intended to use it on the highway to see if any trucks would set it off (industrial waste). Also considered the possibility of someone radiating coins which I still think would be pretty effective with people having them in their pockets. I did occasionally drive drive around a landfill near here with it, you never know.
It does take six "D" size batteries which would be a drawback if their was an event, that's where the kind you brought up comes into play.
I believe that along with some other stuff is in that green book

HDR
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
The bad thing about radiation detectors is one might tell you that you are about to be dead before you realize you're dying.

Uncle Scary
12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
The bad thing about radiation detectors is one might tell you that you are about to be dead before you realize you're dying.

In that case, it would be better to measure radiation exposure by the rate at which your hair falls out.

Mark Ducati
12-15-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmWlPjV6n0&playnext=1&list=PL56BD404224912808&index=54

alismith
12-15-2010, 07:04 PM
In that case, it would be better to measure radiation exposure by the rate at which your hair falls out.

Damn, my hair fell out 35 years ago. I guess I'm on my last legs, now.

I have one similar to Full Otto's. About 30 years ago, I ran across a science teacher who was told to get rid of "dangerous" materials in his high school storage room. He had it all loaded up in the back of his car. I asked what he had and the only things I found I was interested in was the jar of mercury and a jar of radium. I have both out in my garage. I checked the radium with my geiger counter and it was giving off radiation to about a distance of 8 inches. So, I guess it was still active and my geiger counter worked.

So far, the only effects I've seen from the radium is that I've killed a few fairly large Wolf spiders in the garage. Now, if I can just manage to get bitten by one of them, I'll give Spider Man a run for his money.:)