PDA

View Full Version : ICE

slamfire51
12-14-2010, 08:19 AM
If this last winter blast wasn't enough, they are calling for a major ice storm tonight and tomorrow.
Our last ice storm back in '94 caused major damage to power lines and especially to trees.
I lived on a hilltop back then and when I went outside that morning, I could hear trees breaking constantly. Definitely not something I want to experience again.

Winter SUX!!!!!

El Jefe
12-14-2010, 08:52 AM
94? I guess you guys missed out on the ice storm that hit central & eastern Missouri two years ago? It's good to be stocked up on provisions and firewood.

slamfire51
12-14-2010, 09:01 AM
94? I guess you guys missed out on the ice storm that hit central & eastern Missouri two years ago? It's good to be stocked up on provisions and firewood.

I'm depending on my memory for the date. It could have been '95.
I don't recall any from a couple yrs. ago.

I should be ok as long as there's natural gas flowing.
Pantry is full as are the freezers. A lot of good frozen food will be if there's no electricity. DOH!!!
Plenty of goodies to snack on just in case.

Hopefully this will be a minor event.

insider
12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thank goodness for global warming!:santa2:

slamfire51
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank goodness for global warming!:santa2:

God Bless Al Gore!!! :slap:

TheMrMitch
12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Feb 2009.........tore my property up so bad I sold my log splitter, mower and chain saws. I make paths now with my ATV.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee314/TheMrMitch/Road.jpg?1292364803

matshock
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah I don't miss those- 60 and sunny today.

I do miss the people though.

aliceinchains
12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Yep that is a good way to lose power. Picked up some of this today. At least we have heat in a power outage.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii334/jerrycantrell_photos/2010_12140002.jpg

El Jefe
12-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Yep that is a good way to lose power. Picked up some of this today. At least we have heat in a power outage.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii334/jerrycantrell_photos/2010_12140002.jpg

Coal? OMG, I didn't realize people still heated homes with it. Wow, what's your stove setup?

slamfire51
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Coal? OMG, I didn't realize people still heated homes with it. Wow, what's your stove setup?

Haven't seen coal since I was a kid. We heated with it back then.

Brother Gore is gonna be knocking on your door if you burn that. LOL

TheMrMitch
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
As a kid, coal was delivered at $2 per ton. In the mid 70s, I picked it up at $60 per ton.

mriddick
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Love the picture themrmitch, looks like that 3 hour drive to get the wife out of KY that week :)

As for coal my first house (converted chicken coup of all things) was solely heated with coal.

blacksheep
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Love the picture themrmitch, looks like that 3 hour drive to get the wife out of KY that week :)

As for coal my first house (converted chicken coup of all things) was solely heated with coal.

A real chicken coup or a state weigh station ?

TheMrMitch
12-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Now, I'd rather heat with coal than wood. There's an art to it. I could go into a long
dialog on the merits and minuses of coal heating, but I'd rather have coal.

Dr_Scholl
12-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Winter came out of nowhere this year it seems like. Tomorrow will be the third day in a row that it hasn't gone above freezing here. I don't think it's broken 40 more than two or three days in the past two weeks. I'm 23 and i've NEVER seen it get this cold this early in the season in eastern VA. An inch and a half of snow fell yesterday and we've got two more shots of snow moving through between Thursday and Sunday. This never happens this early in the year, if at all.

L1A1Rocker
12-15-2010, 01:42 AM
You guys up there take care in the cold. I'd love to see that coal heater.

l921428x
12-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Hit 14 degrees here last night, the coldest since 1917. You guys and gals, that are north of me, take care.

slamfire51
12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
The freezing rain is trying to start here.
Anyone in the Mid West (around Kansas City) getting it yet?
Radar shows it's there.

aliceinchains
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Jefferson this is an oldy but a good stove. The coal goes in the top door and all i have to do is shake it twice a day to keep it burning. I can adjust draft at the bottom door to make it hotter.

Or open the vent in the top door to make it burn slower.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii334/jerrycantrell_photos/2010_12150001.jpg

slamfire51
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Jefferson this is an oldy but a good stove. The coal goes in the top door and all i have to do is shake it twice a day to keep it burning. I can adjust draft at the bottom door to make it hotter.

I've seen stoves like that.
They can put out some heat for sure.

AKTexas
12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Damn,Damn,and more Damn!I would not live there,I like it cold but no ice or snow please.

Slam weren't you complaining about the heat this year?:freeze:Hell has frozen over it seems.

slamfire51
12-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Damn,Damn,and more Damn!I would not live there,I like it cold but no ice or snow please.

Slam weren't you complaining about the heat this year?:freeze:Hell has frozen over it seems.

Yeah, but remember FALL is my favorite time of year. Not some deep freezer.

aliceinchains
12-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I've seen stoves like that.
They can put out some heat for sure.

Your right slamfire. This is pretty much a hopper style stove and it heats the whole house including the garage. Big time savings over oil or electric heat. Hardly any maintenance other than emptying the ash pan.

slamfire51
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Your right slamfire. This is pretty much a hopper style stove and it heats the whole house including the garage. Big time savings over oil or electric heat. Hardly any maintenance other than emptying the ash pan.

How much smoke does it put out the flue?
I remember smelling coal burn. It really stinks.

aliceinchains
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
How much smoke does it put out the flue?
I remember smelling coal burn. It really stinks.

Absolutely nothing it burns clean as a whistle.And there is no odor. Don't even know it is burning unless you touch the stove.

slamfire51
12-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Absolutely nothing it burns clean as a whistle.And there is no odor. Don't even know it is burning unless you touch the stove.

I meant outside.

TheMrMitch
12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
The smell of coal really brings back memories to me.
We heated by coal and lived a block from an elevated train track. Mama and other neighbor women would run a wet rag
the length of the clothesline to get soot from the train off before hanging clothes.

That smell doesn't bother me.

aliceinchains
12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I meant outside.

Nothing outside. I get good coal that doesn't produce much ash. The denser the coal the cleaner the burn and less ash.

No smoke stack here. Unless i burn wood which i can but it is to expensive and it don't last like coal. Coal is about 200 bucks a ton here.

El Duce
12-15-2010, 09:05 PM

I swear that is the exact same stove that I used to have up at the camp. It was a 10x20 foot tin shack. I'd load the stove up with coal, have to open up the two windows to cool the place down. THen wake up three hours later to put some more coal on the fire!

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, we dodged the bullet yesterday.
I see Atlanta got it worse than we did.
Go figure.

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 08:43 AM
We got freezing rain over night. They called school off today and I drove the wife to work at the hospital. Early it was pretty slick, but it was already 28 degrees before the sun came up so it should melt off by noon I'd guess. Had to put ice melt on the sidewalk but driving around earlier wasn't an issue in the truck.

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
We got freezing rain over night. They called school off today and I drove the wife to work at the hospital. Early it was pretty slick, but it was already 28 degrees before the sun came up so it should melt off by noon I'd guess. Had to put ice melt on the sidewalk but driving around earlier wasn't an issue in the truck.

It is 47 here now, but the bottom is suppose to fall out late this afternoon.

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 08:51 AM

That's pretty cool. When we bought our current house it had a huge monster of a furnace in the basement. That contraption was built to burn coal but had been converted to natural gas. Obviously it wasn't the most efficient so I had a modern furnace put in before we moved in. Our house has a coal room under the front porch, it once had ports at each end of the room for the coal to come in.

Nimbly
12-16-2010, 08:53 AM
I know, damn global warming! Thats the reason right Gore?

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 08:53 AM
It is 47 here now, but the bottom is suppose to fall out late this afternoon.

Dang, if it gets that warm here it'll be a muddy mess. That might add some walking to my hunt Saturday morning. I wonder if that would get the deer moving more, earlier in the morning?

mriddick
12-16-2010, 12:28 PM
A real chicken coup or a state weigh station ?

Real coup :)

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Dang, if it gets that warm here it'll be a muddy mess. That might add some walking to my hunt Saturday morning. I wonder if that would get the deer moving more, earlier in the morning?

I don't know.
How is the weather looking for Saturday there?

It was raining pretty hard earlier, and the wind is blowing hard.
Another cold front is about to move through, hence the colder temps this afternoon.

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't know.
How is the weather looking for Saturday there?

It was raining pretty hard earlier, and the wind is blowing hard.
Another cold front is about to move through, hence the colder temps this afternoon.

They've been all over with the forecast, but for now it looks like a high Saturday of 34, which isn't bad as long as the wind doesn't blow hard or something. No precipitation expected.

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 12:49 PM
They've been all over with the forecast, but for now it looks like a high Saturday of 34, which isn't bad as long as the wind doesn't blow hard or something. No precipitation expected.

If the wind is not up, and the temps are cold, things should be good.

I'm waiting for this front to come through so I can set up my ground blind to hunt some yotes.

My UPS driver gave me a deer ham and I made jerky last night. I had the strips soaking in Teriaki sauce for 36 hrs and drown them in black pepper before putting them in the dehydrator.

Mmmm, they sure are good. I'm taking them with me when I go hunting. Great snacks!!!

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
If the wind is not up, and the temps are cold, things should be good.

I'm waiting for this front to come through so I can set up my ground blind to hunt some yotes.

My UPS driver gave me a deer ham and I made jerky last night. I had the strips soaking in Teriaki sauce for 36 hrs and drown them in black pepper before putting them in the dehydrator.

Mmmm, they sure are good. I'm taking them with me when I go hunting. Great snacks!!!

Yeah, this time of year the pop up blind is the only way to go. I'm hoping they're not hunkered down Saturday because I'm going in early and I'd really rather not sit there for 10 hours waiting, but, you get what you get.

Dang, that jerky sounds good, I need a new dehydrator, ours died.

What type of blind you use Slam? I've got an Ameristep pop up, that works good, plus I don't have to leave it. It pops right up and takes down easily.

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, this time of year the pop up blind is the only way to go. I'm hoping they're not hunkered down Saturday because I'm going in early and I'd really rather not sit there for 10 hours waiting, but, you get what you get.

Dang, that jerky sounds good, I need a new dehydrator, ours died.

What type of blind you use Slam? I've got an Ameristep pop up, that works good, plus I don't have to leave it. It pops right up and takes down easily.

I made one out of 1/2" thin wall conduit. It's 7' square with a dome top. I'm using a camo tarp to cover the top and sides.
It's easy and fast to set up. I'm planning on leaving it where I hunt less the tarp. There's plenty of yotes around since the man who owns the property raise goats and cattle.

Here's a pic of the property I hunt on.
my house is close to the silo in the distance.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/topofhilEMBREESl11-122005deadcoyote.jpg

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Cool :dancing-banana-red-

Looks like it would be good yote territory. Open enough where you could see them coming in. What do you use for a call?

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Cool :dancing-banana-red-

Looks like it would be good yote territory. Open enough where you could see them coming in. What do you use for a call?

Right now I have a Johnny Stewert caller. A FoxPro may be had someday.

I'm tempted to use a handcall, but I'm afraid I'll scare them off. LOL

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Right now I have a Johnny Stewert caller. A FoxPro may be had someday.

I'm tempted to use a handcall, but I'm afraid I'll scare them off. LOL

Doesn't he have a predator hunting show?

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Doesn't he have a predator hunting show?

Johnny Stewart?
If so, I've never seen/heard of it.

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I normally set up in this position. There's a fence line behind it and I can see 180+ degrees.
The yotes normally come from a wooded area to the right of what you can see in the pic. It has the only water source (pond) for a mile or more.

It's been a good stand. Took 2 there a couple yrs ago.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/huntingloc001.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/yotesjpgfull.jpg

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice, that's pretty country. Those dead yotes won't be suppressing the rabbit and game bird population anymore. :)

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Nice, that's pretty country. Those dead yotes won't be suppressing the rabbit and game bird population anymore. :)

Everyone who's been to Williamson county says it's God's Country. Very beautiful indeed.

True, and I'm doing my best to eliminate more so we can possibly get the groundhog population back.

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Everyone who's been to Williamson county says it's God's Country. Very beautiful indeed.

True, and I'm doing my best to eliminate more so we can possibly get the groundhog population back.

Ah gee, no shortage of groundhogs around here, in fact, I have 3 that live behind the house.

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Ah gee, no shortage of groundhogs around here, in fact, I have 3 that live behind the house.

Could you Fed-Ex a couple hundred down here?

El Jefe
12-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Johnny Stewart?
If so, I've never seen/heard of it.

I was thinking of Les Johnson the Pursuit Channel, that guy is one coyote killin SOB! :)

slamfire51
12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I was thinking of Les Johnson the Pursuit Channel, that guy is one coyote killin SOB! :)

Yes he is.
I love that show.

JTHunter
12-17-2010, 12:42 AM
My grandparents had a BIG coal burner forced air system in their house when I was a kid. It used the "pea" coal with an automated stoker. Every morning, we would go downstairs, poke at the klinkers with a long, pointed steel rod, then use a 3-fingered claw to pick out the loose rubble. Back then, we were still using that "high sulfur" Illinois coal (HEY! It WAS a coal mining town!)
There was a "pungent" odor in the smoke from the sulfur, but I didn't find it objectionable any more than I am bothered by leaves burning.

Slamfire - that is some pretty country down that way. Are you anywhere near Crossville?

slamfire51
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Slamfire - that is some pretty country down that way. Are you anywhere near Crossville?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Fairly close. I am 20 miles SE of Nashville.