PDA

View Full Version : PSL trigger

sisyphus
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I haven't looked closely at it, but my PSL's trigger and FCG look about the same as on my AK's. Does anybody know for sure if this is so, and whether it's feasible to sweeten-up the pull and lessen the creep and grit on a PSL? Do they make a Tapco-type replacement for this? It would make for a more accurate rifle.

Penguin
12-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't know for sure but I belive they are the same or pretty close. A PSL is basicly a RPK rechambered for 7.62x54R with the rear of the reciver strengthened.

FunkyPertwee
12-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Red Star Arms makes an adjustable trigger. Also, they sell Tapco G2s that have been modded to fit a PSL.

sisyphus
12-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Right-on. Thanks for that input guys. I'll look into them, probably after Christmas. I would have tried googling the info but figured somebody here might be in the know.

The help is appreciated.

FunkyPertwee
12-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Ill probably end up getting the red star arms myself.

abpt1
12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
IDK my PSL has a real decent trigger maybe I just got lucky with that one?
http://www.qtl.co.il/img/trans.png

sisyphus
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
The trigger on mine isn't terrible.........it will be fine for most uses. I just think it could be better for longer ranges if there wasn't so much creep and grit.

FunkyPertwee
12-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I had to add a Tapco G2 to my SAR because of trigger slap, and it now has a better trigger than my stock PSL. Because of this, I must upgrade the PSL at some point. Hell, I've got a G2 on the way for my Draco; I can't have my medium range guns have a better trigger than my long range.

Helen Keller
12-18-2010, 06:51 AM
I had an FPK/PSL a few years back that's FCG was Horrid.

Replaced with a polished up AK FCG I had laying around and it was 100% better.

sisyphus
12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I had an FPK/PSL a few years back that's FCG was Horrid.

Replaced with a polished up AK FCG I had laying around and it was 100% better.

I put in an email to Tapco with questions on their products. Hopefully there's an answer when I get home from work Monday. If I could get a trigger for my PSL like the one on my Vector AK it would be pure sex.

blobman
12-19-2010, 12:27 AM
im gonna convert my saiga 545 and am considering an adj. RSA fcg...any opinions

FunkyPertwee
12-19-2010, 12:54 AM
im gonna convert my saiga 545 and am considering an adj. RSA fcg...any opinions

Personally I'm not sure that kind of gun needs a super precise trigger. I'd be happy with a G2, but If your picky about triggers then go for it. I've never heard anything bad about the RSA trigger.

sisyphus
01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I got the (2) Tapco units today and installed them (one in the PSL and the other in my SAR1). There's still creep in both but the letoff is significantly lighter and crisper. The Tapco guy said he'd heard their triggers work in the PSL but they couldn't make that statement for sure until they had the chance to research it themselves. The FCG's in both rifles look and install identically, so I don't see where there would be a problem in the PSL.

They were 54 bucks total for the pair, shipped. I'm pretty happy. Can't wait to try them out! :dancingsmile:

FunkyPertwee
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I got the (2) Tapco units today and installed them (one in the PSL and the other in my SAR1). There's still creep in both but the letoff is significantly lighter and crisper. The Tapco guy said he'd heard their triggers work in the PSL but they couldn't make that statement for sure until they had the chance to research it themselves. The FCG's in both rifles look and install identically, so I don't see where there would be a problem in the PSL.

They were 54 bucks total for the pair, shipped. I'm pretty happy. Can't wait to try them out! :dancingsmile:

So the G2 installed without modification?

Please let us know if it functions properly when you test fire it.

sisyphus
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
So the G2 installed without modification?

Please let us know if it functions properly when you test fire it.

Yep, the FCG's were nearly identical when I took them out of the two rifles and both Tapco's went right back in smoothely (except when I didn't watch what I was doing and put the SAR1's hammer & spring in backwards).

I'll post on how they work when I get the opportunity. Thanks again to all for the input.

Gunsmoke
01-12-2011, 08:07 AM
The FCG is the same as the AK. Trigger pull and letoff do in fact affect the level of accuracy. There is an inherent drawback to the cross pin geometry. We actually take your FCG set and modify the radius and letoff for a smoother take up and shorter letoff. We have done this for site members who were ecstatic with the results.

Either the double hook or, single hook.......the upgrade you will feel in the tip of your index, but all current production units really need to be re-engineered and you'll be doing this dance. :happy:

sisyphus
01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
May I ask how much this goes for? These Tapco's feel pretty good compared to the originals, but I'm always up for reasonable improvements. Also, are you talking about those Tapco's or the units the rifles came with?

Thanks for this bit of insight by the way.

Integratedj
01-14-2011, 04:58 PM
The FCG is the same as the AK. Trigger pull and letoff do in fact affect the level of accuracy. There is an inherent drawback to the cross pin geometry. We actually take your FCG set and modify the radius and letoff for a smoother take up and shorter letoff. We have done this for site members who were ecstatic with the results.

Either the double hook or, single hook.......the upgrade you will feel in the tip of your index, but all current production units really need to be re-engineered and you'll be doing this dance. :happy:

Welcome back!

sisyphus
01-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Finally got a chance to take the PSL and SAR-1 out and try the new triggers. Both worked well and helped accuracy but there's still a lot of creep on the PSL. Not gritty like the original though.

Had trouble with the Alby ammo. It wouldn't feed through some of the mags right. Jams into the front of the mag. I've been shooting that stuff at targets instead of the good Russian ammo I bought because I don't want to use it up. The Alby's the only ammo I've had any jams with, but it was worse today. I doubt it happened due to the cold weather either, but we'll see.