PDA

View Full Version : Light vs. Heavy AR barrels.

NewbieAKguy
12-15-2010, 12:18 AM
To be more specific, I guess it'd be a "pencil" style light barrel vs. a "heavy" barrel, basically barrel that doesn't have the grenade launcher cut out, not a bull barrel.

I know the light barrel is lighter, hence easier to carry and handle, will heat up faster but also cool down quicker. Heavier barrel will be stronger, heavier to absorb better what little recoil there is, and will heat up slower, but will take longer to cool down.

Is my train of thought tracking so far, or am I missing something or misinformed on any of the above? What would you choose and why? TIA :think:

ubersoldate
12-15-2010, 12:54 AM
I vote heavy, as I like the accuracy...
But I do own a bushy superlite that is an amazing gun as it can anywhere and not feel heavy..

AKTexas
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Heavy as well.I go for accuracy.

abpt1
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I have both I like both but i have also seen great accuracy either will do if you get a good barrel

aliceinchains
12-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I prefer a heavier barrel. It holds a lot more steady and gives good accuracy.

NewbieAKguy
12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the opinion guys. Still mulling it over at the moment. With Christmas here and my wife saying it's time for us to have a kid (baby-making to commence june/july cuz she wants the youngin' born in the spring....I'm ready to do some more practicing :lool:), I'd like to get at least one rifle before all (well, most) money goes toward the youngin'.

TEN-32
12-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Hbar.

recon
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Heavy!

btcave
12-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Light.

I bought a light barrel for my 6.8 SPC from www.AR15performance.com. I built it as a hunting rig, and light made more sense for field use. If punching paper is your gig then heavy may make you happier.

No regrets. It out-shoots all my other rifles.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7220/dsc00269ko.jpg

old Grump
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Don't have one but if I were to go that route I'd be inclined to go with a DPMS rig with the heavy 20" in .308. What can I say I'm a dinosaur that finds it hard to stray far from the 30 caliber family and .308 was what Stoner had in mind when he designed the gun in the first place.

Schuetzenman
12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Heavy barrel usually is more accurate but that is not always a guarantee. If you are going for a varmint rifle, heavy probably is the choice to make. If OTOH you want a handy easy to carry for hours rifle, the pencil barrel would be better.

What length of barrel 16 or 20”? In any case I would say get it cryogenic treated by 300 Below Zero in Illinois.

American Rage
12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Depends on what it's going on.

I like a heavy barrel on a full length 20" barrel with a standard rear stock.

I like a medium barrel on most modern carbines (quad rail) with a collapsible stock.

I like a light barrel on a simple carbine (a2 handle and front sight, no rails) w/ collapsible stock.

If I was going to order an upper alone, I'd get a second Armalite mid-length.

I absolutely love the one I have. So much so my fancy, eotech and magnifier mounted, quad railed endowed, flip up emergency sighted super rifle, is now taking second place to my simple ol' mid-length.

Rage

NewbieAKguy
12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Nice build btcave. Grump, my current .308 is my ptr-91....308 AR will be in the future. Currently, my options are for a 5.56: 16" light or heavy, or an 18" heavy. It'd be used mostly for range shooting, some 3-gun, and home defense (and yes, zombies are included in that :D:crazy:). I guess I might as well come clean....I'm close to making the plunge on a Robarm XCR. And before everyone starts getting into the politics of the owner: I KNOW. I was wanting a Masada, not the imitation the ACR has become...the xcr does everything the acr does and claims to do and I can get it cheaper. I like the idea of shooting multiple calibers with one platform...yes I know I can just swap uppers with a standard AR lower, but I'd also like to add an ak/fal type piston to the mix. Heck, I might even get the 7.62x39 first and get the 5.56 kit later.

My main reason for the poll was to get more info I might have missed as to whether or not there's really a difference besides weight between 16" light or "heavy" barrels...heck 18" barrel doesn't seem that bad either. Is there much of difference between 16" and 18" barrel to justify cost difference?

FunkyPertwee
12-17-2010, 12:58 AM
If your wanting to go more "exotic", why not try a Sig556. They seem to have reasonable prices these days.

For the price of an XCR, I'd rather get an MSAR-E4 and a stack of Pmags.

As far as ARs, I would like to get a Hbar 20" or (both really) a medium 16".

NewbieAKguy
12-17-2010, 01:34 AM
If your wanting to go more "exotic", why not try a Sig556. They seem to have reasonable prices these days.

For the price of an XCR, I'd rather get an MSAR-E4 and a stack of Pmags.

As far as ARs, I would like to get a Hbar 20" or (both really) a medium 16".

I shouldered a sig556 at a gun show and didn't care for it much.....too front heavy for me. MSAR-E4 would be bad-ass too (I dig the bull pups), but I dig the ability to change calibers in one "platform" as it were.

FunkyPertwee
12-17-2010, 02:03 AM
MSAR has come out with the new uppers in 6.8,7.62x39,and 5.45x39.

NewbieAKguy
12-17-2010, 03:07 AM
MSAR has come out with the new uppers in 6.8,7.62x39,and 5.45x39.

Dangit, ur not making my choice any easier! LOL. Heck, still debating at this time....I seem to change my mind every other day :D.

NewbieAKguy
12-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Well with some time to do some looking around the interwebs tonight, I think I'm going to pass on the XCR at this time....if/when RA fixes/updates certain issues I have with it I may get one. But at this time I think I'd be better of just getting a piston AR (like the S&Ws Palmetto State has on sale!) and still have some cash to finally get my first AK :biggrina:. I'm still liking the idea of being able to switch calibers so I may keep my mind open on the ACR......if I can score a good deal on one that is :oh:, but not likely, lol.

Schuetzenman
12-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Well with some time to do some looking around the interwebs tonight, I think I'm going to pass on the XCR at this time....if/when RA fixes/updates certain issues I have with it I may get one. But at this time I think I'd be better of just getting a piston AR (like the S&Ws Palmetto State has on sale!) and still have some cash to finally get my first AK :biggrina:. I'm still liking the idea of being able to switch calibers so I may keep my mind open on the ACR......if I can score a good deal on one that is :oh:, but not likely, lol.

As mentioned the AR15 is switch caliber by pushing out two pins and dropping on a new upper. Way less fussy special propietary BS involved, more straight forward IMHO. Also consider that your "Memory" will be reinforced on one weapon platform, less to remember under any possible stress conditions.

NewbieAKguy
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
As mentioned the AR15 is switch caliber by pushing out two pins and dropping on a new upper. Way less fussy special propietary BS involved, more straight forward IMHO. Also consider that your "Memory" will be reinforced on one weapon platform, less to remember under any possible stress conditions.

I know. I'm just being difficult :D.

Krupski
12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
To be more specific, I guess it'd be a "pencil" style light barrel vs. a "heavy" barrel, basically barrel that doesn't have the grenade launcher cut out, not a bull barrel.

I know the light barrel is lighter, hence easier to carry and handle, will heat up faster but also cool down quicker. Heavier barrel will be stronger, heavier to absorb better what little recoil there is, and will heat up slower, but will take longer to cool down.

Is my train of thought tracking so far, or am I missing something or misinformed on any of the above? What would you choose and why? TIA :think:

A light barrel doesn't really heat up any faster than a heavy one. The thing that gets hot first is the gas tube. I've had my gas tube glowing orange from bump firing a 100 round drum (oops I hope Mr. Akins isn't reading this!)....

I've fired pencil barrel AR15 rifles and HBARS. I don't find one more accurate than the other. Only thing an HBAR does is weigh more.

Mr. Rodgers
12-29-2010, 12:33 AM
I like heavyhttp://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attach

arcangel
12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Light but heavy. 16 inch barrel but have it a heavy barrel. Thats what I like about my AP4 308. 16 inch heavy M4 stlye barrel. Has the M4 style barrel past the FSP, but heavy before it. Put a rail on it so its heavy anyways.

gpwasr10
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Get a 20" HBAR A2 Stock with a flat top.

For me this is THEE AR pattern. And it really isn't that heavy TBH.

Flinter
01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I've owned an Hbar for years, and while it's a good gun it's way too heavy/big for it's caliber.

Buy light.

gpwasr10
02-08-2011, 01:01 AM
*edited*Said the same thing twice ;-)