PDA

View Full Version : EAA AirVenture

chiak47
07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Has anyone ever been to the EAA Oshkosh venue? I'm going to take the family next Friday and I really don't know what to expect.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
???

mriddick
07-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I went once back in the 90's it was really a neat experience.

chiak47
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
???

It's the largest airshow/EAA meetup in the country and possibly the world. It's going on now till next Sunday.
http://www.airventure.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAA_AirVenture_Oshkosh

mriddick...Did they have alot of experimental aircraft when you were there?

mriddick
07-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Hundreds, literally hundreds. I saw a WW2 airplane do a belly landing too which was kool, there was a lake nearby where they flew in the water craft too. Lots of old, new and odd stuff you'll never see again.

HDR
07-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Air shows are neat; you'll enjoy it.

printerman
07-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Sounds cool , enjoy and take photos .....

JVD
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I drive past it all the time, but I've never been there. And you'd think with my dad being former AF and an A&P mechanic for 20 years after I would have gone there with him already. :rolleyes:

chiak47
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I drive past it all the time, but I've never been there. And you'd think with my dad being former AF and an A&P mechanic for 20 years after I would have gone there with him already. :rolleyes:

Have you driven past the actual airshow or the museum? I've driven past the museum but never the airshow while it was going on.

JVD
07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Both. traffic is horendous.The grounds cover over 2 square miles.

Krupski
07-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Has anyone ever been to the EAA Oshkosh venue? I'm going to take the family next Friday and I really don't know what to expect.

I've been there dozens of times... both when it was in Rockford, IL and when it moved to Oshkosh, WI.

Here's a hint: Park WAY BACK from the flight line, as close as you can to the STORE and the SHOWERS. Newbies don't want to park that far back because they think you have to walk. Of course, there's a shuttle bus that takes everyone to the flightline.

And, if you're only going for one day, you are going to miss 95% of all the cool stuff they have. You really do need to make it a full week.

Carry water with you... the open fields and sun get HOT. Use sunscreen if you don't already have a tan.

Lastly, INSIDE the exhibit buildings it gets brutally hot from all the people in there and you can get heat stroke. Even if you don't think you're too hot, walk outside and get some fresh air... and above all STAY HYDRATED. Oh yeah, bring a LOT of cash with you. You'll need it.

Another "lastly"... when you're there notice one of the EAA traditions... NO littering. After a full week of people being there, you won't see one speck of debris on the grass... and if there is one someone else will pick it up and throw it away.

Krupski
07-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Air shows are neat; you'll enjoy it.

EAA is more than just an airshow... it is the number one "aviation experience" in the world.

chiak47
07-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been there dozens of times... both when it was in Rockford, IL and when it moved to Oshkosh, WI.

Here's a hint: Park WAY BACK from the flight line, as close as you can to the STORE and the SHOWERS. Newbies don't want to park that far back because they think you have to walk. Of course, there's a shuttle bus that takes everyone to the flightline.

And, if you're only going for one day, you are going to miss 95% of all the cool stuff they have. You really do need to make it a full week.

Carry water with you... the open fields and sun get HOT. Use sunscreen if you don't already have a tan.

Lastly, INSIDE the exhibit buildings it gets brutally hot from all the people in there and you can get heat stroke. Even if you don't think you're too hot, walk outside and get some fresh air... and above all STAY HYDRATED. Oh yeah, bring a LOT of cash with you. You'll need it.

Another "lastly"... when you're there notice one of the EAA traditions... NO littering. After a full week of people being there, you won't see one speck of debris on the grass... and if there is one someone else will pick it up and throw it away.

Thanks Roger...How long has it been since you were last there? I heard there is a fascinating exhibit consisting of solar powered planes as well as a few Raptors that will be performing maneuvers. But in all reality it's the WW2 birds that are drawing me there.
My kids are pumped and it's a shame we can't go for more than a day or two. I can't wait to see the ww2 birds dogfight.
We bought the tickets which ran me close to $200 and I have a few hundred allocated for souvenirs, food and drinks. What else do you need to pay for?

Also...
Next Saturday the old planes are making a trip to Shawano WI which is not too far from me and we were thinking about heading over there to see that also.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Krupski
07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Roger...How long has it been since you were last there? I heard there is a fascinating exhibit consisting of solar powered planes as well as a few Raptors that will be performing maneuvers. But in all reality it's the WW2 birds that are drawing me there.
My kids are pumped and it's a shame we can't go for more than a day or two. I can't wait to see the ww2 birds dogfight.
We bought the tickets which ran me close to $200 and I have a few hundred allocated for souvenirs, food and drinks. What else do you need to pay for?

Also...
Next Saturday the old planes are making a trip to Shawano WI which is not too far from me and we were thinking about heading over there to see that also.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Last time I was there was 1999 for the Apollo 11 30th anniversary (all 3 astronauts were there!). As far as types of airplanes... you name it, they have it. Gliders. Experimental. Warbirds. Rocket planes. Everything.

The daily airshows have different themes for different days. They have a "Pearl Harbor" attack where a bunch of Zeros, Bettys and AT-6 Texans made to look like Jap planes "attack" the field. Then the P-40 Warhawks and P51 Mustangs take off and "shoot down" the invading airplanes. Of course, the B-17 coming in with one main gear retracted and smoke from the engines is re-enacted. I'm not sure which day they do this one.... since I always go for the whole week.

Did you buy a subscription to Sport Aviation magazine? Buying the subscription (which makes you a member) plus the cost of tickets (discounted for members) is cheaper than buying them outright, and you get a years worth of Sport Aviation magazines too.

For being there one day... not counting tickets or parking... I would guess you need to have minimum $100 to $150 per person for food, drink and toys. Any young kids make that $200 each for them! :)

You may want to carry along a cloth sheet for each person too (sun shade and something to sit on the grass during the airshow).

Krupski
07-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Hundreds, literally hundreds. I saw a WW2 airplane do a belly landing too which was kool, there was a lake nearby where they flew in the water craft too. Lots of old, new and odd stuff you'll never see again.

Sadly, I saw two fatalities at EAA (one a long time ago in Rockford and one in Oshkosh).

A guy was doing aerobatics in a Stearman biplane and he was a bit too low during an inside loop. The airplane plopped onto the ground and didn't even break apart or burn. It looked like the pilot should have been able to walk away, but his back and neck were snapped by the impact and he died instantly.

Seeing something like that puts a real damper on the whole rest of the day. :(