PDA

View Full Version : What kind or level of preparation are you doing right now?

O.S.O.K.
07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
The question is about prepping for the possibility of hard times or even SHTF.

What level of prep are you undertaking?

ubersoldate
07-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Being in shape.
Ive said it before here and Ill say it again.
Just having three cases of MREs and a 3000 rounds for ones wasr means nothing if you cant haul them more than 11 feet from your monster truck.

I got tired of feeling like hell about 8 mos ago, so I started running every night, doing p90, and getting out. Spending more time in the desert shooting and hunting and most of all hiking.

O.S.O.K.
07-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Spooky - your reply was there already when I posted the poll.... I guess the post goes up before the poll.

Anyway - definately a good point. For a lot of reasons. Anybody on meds that are needed because of obesity, etc. should take care of that right along with all of the other preps. Only makes sense. I'm at the "not feeling the best I can" stage and need to lose 40 pounds. I've done it before and I need to get on it.

For other preps, I am personally between 6 months and a year on food and such, have medical and personal care, etc. stuff stored - stuff that we use anyway and that I rotate through. Also puting in a driven-point well - which is a good $120 investment if you water table is high enough. Thinking of getting some solar panels and a wind generator to supply enough power to drive the freezer... and of course it will pay for itself in time regardless. We have about 1 1/2 year to make precious metal purchases before they start tracking and taxing the purchases. I'm just wanting enough for an "emergency" fund should we see rapid inflation.

I am trying to do things that are not "just" for pepping - that aren't going to be a "loss" at some point if not "needed".

We put in a "test" garden this spring. Going to use what we learned and go again in the fall. We get really three seasons here. This is something that is good for us regardless. Fresh veggies is a good thing.

recon
07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Food,ammo,spare parts/guns,water,clothing,gas,weapons.

AKTexas
07-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Getting in shape is my main focus at this point.I have recently lost 20lbs simply reducing my calories per day and regular exercise.

Batwing
07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I am working on being totally self sufficient,even before the SHTF scenarios,just in self defense of todays crappy food,I like to hunt,grow and can my own food,make jerky be frugle and collect stuff for barter,after all after shit doe hit the fan paper money will no longer be practical cept for asswipe,and I live in sticks already and I am planning on staying put unless nuclear fallout or some shit is raining on my head,,as for specific plans I prefer to remain as a duck,cool and calm on the surface but paddlin like hell below

chiak47
07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Food for a winter is what is on my mind. I have 3 Amish families surrounding me and they give me lots of advice as far as homesteading.

I have been real busy this week clearing land for a new pastor by my barn where I will someday raise a few beef cattle. I also raise chickens and in fact I just got a nasty new rooster this week that is a pain in the ass as far as him trying to "show" me that he is in charge of the harem. I have to constantly humiliate him in front of the hens in order for him to calm the fuck down.

Also...I buy about $30 bucks worth of long term storable food a week that I put down in my celler.

doing p90

I too have been using P90x...It's by far the best workout/diet program I have ever used. I don't run but I do go for a nightly hike.

Batwing
07-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I just got a nasty new rooster this week that is a pain in the ass as far as him trying to "show" me that he is in charge of the harem. I have to constantly humiliate him in front of the hens in order for him to calm the fuck down.

put the sonuvabitch in the stewpot and get another :D

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Chiak - awfully good of you to clear land for your new Pastor... ;) I hope he appreciates it. :D

Batwing
07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Chiak - awfully good of you to clear land for your new Pastor... ;) I hope he appreciates it. :D

lol,I saw that too,maybe he'll say a prayer for that crazy rooster

chiak47
07-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Freudian slip my friend....

NewbieAKguy
07-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Like most here I try to put away a few canned veggies and such each grocery trip, but I'm limited on space in my small ranch (tad under 900 sq. ft.); I should do some rearranging/get rid of some stuff, bad. Add to my ammo when I can, mostly bulk cuz it's cheaper that way and picked up a reloader to help with that. I have started jogging again thanks to some "convincing" from couple buddies at work, lol. We'll go in morning after our shift a couple times a week, with a minimum of two miles....I really need to start hitting the weights again, I miss the shape I was in after popo academy. Other than that it's mostly keeping an eye/ear out for news and paying down debts ASAP and building up savings.

So in all honesty the p90x is worth what they ask for it? There's a p90 too right?

Almost forgot, thinking about getting into bow hunting to add more deer to my freezer. Bow tags just about given out like candy here.

Warlord
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Regular exersize, some strengh training, weapons, ammo, enough stored food and watter for my family for at least a month and regular weapons and tatical training. As far as the food and watter / extra weapons, yea I like alot of you have all of this but lets face it if you need to bug out, if you can't hump it it's worthless. My advice would be to keep things realistic because if the balloon goes up your not going to haul all of your gear, food , weapons and ammo. It will be what you need and what will serve you best.

Paladin
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Been storing food for a bit. Long term stuff; grains, legumes, milk, eggs, salt, baking stuff, fats, sugars. Mostly basic stuff. We live in a rural, game rich environment in SW OR. But not counting on any other source, we have enough in store for 5 years worth of calories.

Up to speed on rifles, hand guns, shotguns for both critters and people. Bunch o' ammo; like a little less than 10K of 5.56

Got concerned about protracted survival needs about 20 years ago.

Been buckskinning for years. Have skills like flintknapping, friction fire, braintanning and so forth.

Still though, not near done with the plan. Working on a mobile "retreat" now. An '89 1 ton, 4x4 aff road Chevy truck with same year truck bed trailer. When done would be able to jump in with wife and stay out for at least 2 years; wall tent, gear, fuel etc.

Just keep plodding along...

HDR
07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Been storing food for a bit. Long term stuff; grains, legumes, milk, eggs, salt, baking stuff, fats, sugars. Mostly basic stuff. We live in a rural, game rich environment in SW OR. But not counting on any other source, we have enough in store for 5 years worth of calories.

Up to speed on rifles, hand guns, shotguns for both critters and people. Bunch o' ammo; like a little less than 10K of 5.56

Got concerned about protracted survival needs about 20 years ago.

Been buckskinning for years. Have skills like flintknapping, friction fire, braintanning and so forth.

Still though, not near done with the plan. Working on a mobile "retreat" now. An '89 1 ton, 4x4 aff road Chevy truck with same year truck bed trailer. When done would be able to jump in with wife and stay out for at least 2 years; wall tent, gear, fuel etc.

Just keep plodding along...

If I would need all that stuff; I'd probably abandon it to head to DC.

With a few million others.

RJ Shooter
07-29-2010, 08:21 PM
None... Got some food and about 200 gallons of water, but nothing out of the norm... :-/

remy1492
07-30-2010, 02:25 AM
I live in a normal suburban neighborhood so its hard.
No chickens or crazy stuff is possible.

But am trying gardening, will plant fruit trees and other food plants.

Wife is nudging me to stock up on food big time. Mountain House dried stuff, normal stuff, MREs etc....

already got first aid, guns, ammo and rubik's cube for doomsday.

Paladin
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
If I would need all that stuff; I'd probably abandon it to head to DC...With a few million others.

Developing a plan for DC too... LOL

mrkalashnikov
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I have some extra canned goods, first-aid supplies & drinking water stored away. The usual odd round or two for the gunz. Can't honestly state that I'm at Level 1 readiness as I understand that to be.

On the other hand I've lost 25 lbs this past year & am physically in the best shape I've been since my late 20's. People tell me I don't look anywhere close to 55 but maybe they're blowing smoke up old Mr K's keister. Been working out and eating a Mediterranean-type diet for my 2010 New Year's resolution. I may not really be ready for the Apocalypse but I doubt many truly are.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-30-2010, 12:29 PM
...ok, so i cant stay for long...the more i type the easier it is for them to find me...i sealed the bunker yesterday...walls covered in tin foil...family size cans of baked beans stacked to ceiling...also got sweet deal on several cases of c-rats vintage 1951...i dont want to get soft in the bunker...so we take lots of steroids and play mumbly peg for days at a time...forgot dvd collection...will have to educate future generations with last remaining VHS of Red Dawn...beans probably bad idea in confined space...furniture made from stacked cans of spam...forgot to dig latrine...check back in two weeks...

ubersoldate
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I too have been using P90x...It's by far the best workout/diet program I have ever used. I don't run but I do go for a nightly hike.

It is awesome isnt it?
I dropped so much wieght, back to my normal size in two months by that damn boot camp style workout...

mrkalashnikov
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
...ok, so i cant stay for long...the more i type the easier it is for them to find me...i sealed the bunker yesterday...walls covered in tin foil...family size cans of baked beans stacked to ceiling...also got sweet deal on several cases of c-rats vintage 1951...i dont want to get soft in the bunker...so we take lots of steroids and play mumbly peg for days at a time...forgot dvd collection...will have to educate future generations with last remaining VHS of Red Dawn...beans probably bad idea in confined space...furniture made from stacked cans of spam...forgot to dig latrine...check back in two weeks...
:smiley_pijp::bigsmilebounce:

ubersoldate
07-30-2010, 12:37 PM
So in all honesty the p90x is worth what they ask for it? There's a p90 too right?

Get it on amazon, its around $40.
It was the best 40 Ive spent in years.
The p90 is better to start with actually, a little easier.
Alot of people, myself being one had some issues starting with the 90x.
I dont want to give up, and I work like a dog, so I got injuries right off the bat that I powered through, and ended up having down time that I didnt want due to trying to work out to hard and too much.
I stopped and went to the p90 and just took my time.

I think the vids taught ME one thing, and thats the fact its not a quick fix, its getting my eating and excercise right for life, and taking my time. It doesnt have to be done in 90 days...
I acutally already got through mine, but still do it every other night, and run on the alternate nights...

I would suggest getting the whole package though, the nutrition books are a real help. The resistance bands I never used though.

Richard Simmons
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm at level H but hope to do better. Get it. Preparation H :wink:

Actually back in late 1999 my neighbor was telling me how he was all prepared for Y2K. I noticed that out of all his preparation he never once mentioned a firearm. When he asked me if I was prepared for Y2K I just thought about everything he had in his well stocked basement, compared it to my well stocked gun room and told him I thought he had just about everything I would need. :think:

O.S.O.K.
07-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Yep, loose lips sink ships.... best not to discuss your preps with the neighbors or even other people in your town... people will do what they have to in order to feed themselves, their families...

We are all quite litteraly, savages just under this facade we call "civilizaiton". Weird how so many historical examples exist to instruct, yet people (in general) forget this so fast and get into the "Mr. Rogers mode" of thinking.

P90 huh.... I was going to start lifting and doing the "boxing" work out again... I can't really run consistently as I have bersitus in my left knee - its fine if I walk, I just can't pound it or it becomes inflamed and hurts like shit. Bersitus is latin referring to the "bersa" which is the pad that's in your knee - this get's inflamed and irritated. This only develops when I start running.

What I really would like is one of those endless pools, but $10K is out of the question right now...

mrkalashnikov
07-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I also raise chickens and in fact I just got a nasty new rooster this week that is a pain in the ass as far as him trying to "show" me that he is in charge of the harem. I have to constantly humiliate him in front of the hens

How does one do this exactly?

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

He has sex with the chickens and makes the rooster watch....

chiak47
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM

I grab him by his legs and hold him upside down or put him in my arms and rock him like a baby...You have to do it in front of the hens.
He will get embarrassed.
Also if you catch him trying to mingle with a hen in front of you then chase him away.
Eventually they will know you are the alpha male and he will be less aggressive towards you.

chiak47
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM

You KS boys are odd....:clap:

chiak47
07-31-2010, 10:32 PM
It is awesome isnt it?
I dropped so much wieght, back to my normal size in two months by that damn boot camp style workout...

Dude it kicks my ass...I can only keep up with half the shit they do and I have noticed a difference in the way I breath and feel.
I recommend this for anyone that is in decent shape. If you have medical conditions than you need to consult a DR.

BTW...I got mine with all the books sealed for $25 off of Ebay.

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 11:17 PM

Maybe so...but we don't get punked like a bitch by a damned rooster.
lol....

chiak47
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
lol....

This rooster came from the bowels of hell.

Don't you have chickens? If not get some...They are fun, cheap and you know you are getting quality eggs and meat.

ubersoldate
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Dude it kicks my ass...I can only keep up with half the shit they do and I have noticed a difference in the way I breath and feel.
I recommend this for anyone that is in decent shape. If you have medical conditions than you need to consult a DR.

BTW...I got mine with all the books sealed for $25 off of Ebay.

Right on man!
I love it....Gets you in down right SHAPE fast...

HDR
08-01-2010, 10:11 AM

I was going tell y'all what a monkey would do to chickens. :lool:

lol....

That is what the monkey did to hens or roosters.

Infantry rounds out one's education and life experiences. lol

Paladin
08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I was going tell y'all what a monkey would do to chickens. :lool:...That is what the monkey did to hens or roosters...Infantry rounds out one's education and life experiences. lol

Didn't see it. But heard a story about hen being thrown to one of those rock apes.

mrkalashnikov
08-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I grab him by his legs and hold him upside down or put him in my arms and rock him like a baby...You have to do it in front of the hens.
He will get embarrassed.
Also if you catch him trying to mingle with a hen in front of you then chase him away.
Eventually they will know you are the alpha male and he will be less aggressive towards you.
Being more or less a city boy I would not have considered treating my uppity rooster like this in a thousand years.

mrkalashnikov
08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I was half afraid the answer might be something along these lines but happily it wasn't. :rofl:

O.S.O.K.
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
One thing about gunsnet, you never know when the roadhouse will pop up and say "boo!" :showerrz2cm8:

chiak47
08-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Being more or less a city boy I would not have considered treating my uppity rooster like this in a thousand years.

I was raised in a city and remember if you can make it in a city you can make it anywhere. I got tired of the rat race and settled in the country with my "hobby" farm.

NewbieAKguy
08-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Get it on amazon, its around $40.
It was the best 40 Ive spent in years.
The p90 is better to start with actually, a little easier.
Alot of people, myself being one had some issues starting with the 90x.
I dont want to give up, and I work like a dog, so I got injuries right off the bat that I powered through, and ended up having down time that I didnt want due to trying to work out to hard and too much.
I stopped and went to the p90 and just took my time.

I think the vids taught ME one thing, and thats the fact its not a quick fix, its getting my eating and excercise right for life, and taking my time. It doesnt have to be done in 90 days...
I acutally already got through mine, but still do it every other night, and run on the alternate nights...

I would suggest getting the whole package though, the nutrition books are a real help. The resistance bands I never used though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to make sure and add it to my next amazon or ebay shopping trip.

O.S.O.K.
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Is this what you're talking about?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tdNX6lDPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Show's $72...

There are a bunch of products that come up with "p90" search... which one for starters?

Uber - you guys jacked the thread :) Why don't you start a new one and disucss this some more?

NewbieAKguy
08-03-2010, 03:14 AM

Show's $72...

There are a bunch of products that come up with "p90" search... which one for starters?

Uber - you guys jacked the thread :) Why don't you start a new one and disucss this some more?

Sorry OSOK. Wasn't my intent.

O.S.O.K.
08-03-2010, 08:44 AM
No biggy :)

I just think is a subject that deserves its own thread instead of being burried in this one...

And its not entirely OT...

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
No biggy :)

I just think is a subject that deserves its own thread instead of being burried in this one...

And its not entirely OT...

I'm guessing our Texas get together will involve some of this topic as well?

Mac_Muz
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Me: Just watching the garden grow and prayin for no hail. I have ability to deal in my woods so not much short of a atomic hell can ruin that.

I guess what bugs me most is there just might be that atomic hell, if the SHTF. Power plant workers aren't gonna go show up at their day jobs, and the nuke plants could get out of hand in a hand basket straight from hell.

I can't deal with that problem any better than anyone else.

Like you guys my guns were all lost in a boating incident, but I got a box of 22's and some brake line to make another, to end me in the nuke fall out. It isn't going to be very spectacular. I guess the dead bettles will pick over my scrawny bones ok though.

Till then I plan to harvest and dry foods, get my maple rig ready for Spring, and waste air on this side of the grass.

O.S.O.K.
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing our Texas get together will involve some of this topic as well?

Sure why not.

Mac - sorry to hear about that boating accident.

ubersoldate
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Show's $72...

Yea thats it....
I weighed in this morning after my run at 190.
Started at 240.
If you do it, it works.

I would think there is truth in the saying, "survival of the fittest"

Sorry for the hijack...

O.S.O.K.
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Ah - I was participating after all. Thanks for the feedback on that - 50 pounds wow. I weigh 240 right now myself.

HDR
08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I keep track of the local deer herd.

Btw, what makes people believe precious metals will be considered for trade? Same as most of you I am not set up to test precious metals. I don't believe precious metals will be of that much value as compared to food, guns and ammunition.

In a shtf world what would you take for some food; a few ounces of gold or a SAR2 and 200 rounds?

Batwing
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Btw, what makes people believe precious metals will be considered for trade? Same as most of you I am not set up to test precious metals. I don't believe precious metals will be of that much value as compared to food, guns and ammunition.

In a shtf world what would you take for some food; a few ounces of gold or a SAR2 and 200 rounds?

I also believe if things go south that lead will be the new gold,not just ammo,but lead itself,for making bullets

recon
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Ammo will be king! Everyone will need some.

El Laton Caliente
08-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Place in the country - Check
Guns in the lake; sad boating accident...
Working on lauder
Have the wells
On the lake
Surrounded by woods
Millions of board feet of fuel, so heat & cooking is no problem

I'm headed toward having off the grid electric except that I'll have that only as temporary, week or two, not full time at full power. The problem is cost and long term fuel storage, but that is a long thread itself. Looking at solar for long term partial power.

I'm looking at gardening and other long term food and barter.

I disagree with letting the neighbors know. Many of mine are good country people and "prep" by nature and upbringing. There is security in numbers sometimes. I've been in Hurricans and ice storms; you can count on neighbors, it is the feral looters and "guberment" help that causes problems.

HDR
08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I also believe if things go south that lead will be the new gold,not just ammo,but lead itself,for making bullets

Gold and other precious metals just aren't coming up to the hype.

I disagree with letting the neighbors know. Many of mine are good country people and "prep" by nature and upbringing. There is security in numbers sometimes. I've been in Hurricans and ice storms; you can count on neighbors, it is the feral looters and "guberment" help that causes problems.

As my neighbors have been without power for a couple of weeks prepping comes naturally. There are only 8 homes back here so we aren't high on the priority list.

mrkalashnikov
08-08-2010, 10:47 AM

"I'll take food and SAR 2 w/ 200 rds for 500, Alex."

sisyphus
08-08-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm mostly in this camp too. Things you can't eat or make productive use of may not mean anything to anybody else if times really get bad. There was a series of stories compiled by survivors of the latest Balkan games where people eventually wouldn't take even gold or jewelry for consumables, tools, shelter or other necessities to life.

We have a modest bit of PM's for J.I.C. though. Nothing that would save anybody's bacon. Every time I get the urge to buy into all the PM hype, the money always ends-up going to food, ammo, guns tools or food prep items. Just found a deal on a pump-up fuel stove, lantern and two propane stoves for 40 bucks. A stack of things like those looks odd to some, but people in the right frame of mind see it as very wise.

sisyphus
08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I bought a couple of good mountain bikes for exercise and a trailer for hauling moderate loads if fuel for the vehicles gets scarce. Lost 25lbs since I mostly stay away from sweets and junk. I put boxes of milsurp cold weather items away like SG sells in quantity. 100% wool blankets, winter mitts and socks may be worth more than gold.

We've been at this prep thing for 35+ years and the wife and I are in OK shape in that area. Most of what we put back now will be geared toward our kids and their families since tough times hit. They don't have much to spare for preps. Any time I ask what they want for Chrismas, B-days, anniversaries and for work they do for me, the usual reply is "food storage and preps".

Ammo is always a work in progress anymore where I either buy or reload more than I use. That's another area where the extended family is considered for prepping. The people at the ranch store think I'm wierd for buying 15 double cartons of strike-anywhere matches at a time. Thankfully there's not a limit on those with that store yet.