PDA

View Full Version : Saturday afternoon.This is how I spent my day.

AKTexas
12-19-2010, 12:08 PM
After the normal range trip.I set to casting bullets with my uncle.

This was the first time I have done any casting and I'm still learning the process.

In the pic I cast 11mm for the 43 Mauser.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Photo-0441.jpg

FunkyPertwee
12-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I wish I had the time and money to learn casting and reloading.

Seems like it would be a great hobby.

aliceinchains
12-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Old School is cool.:cool:

Broondog
12-20-2010, 01:55 AM
looks like you done good man!

casting is something i would like to learn the basics of and such, but tooling up for it is not in my cards any time soon.

AKTexas
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I wish I had the time and money to learn casting and reloading.

Seems like it would be a great hobby.

looks like you done good man!

casting is something i would like to learn the basics of and such, but tooling up for it is not in my cards any time soon.

Fortunately this is my uncles set up.He has been casting for 30+ years.We have been so busy with deer blinds,deer lease,and hunting that we have not had much time to cast or even reload.So after our normal trip to the range this last Saturday we decided to teach me how to cast.

The first 10 or so bullets were recycled because the mold need to heat up as well.Out of 30 bullets I had to scrap two.Needed to flux the lead,I'm still learning the process and I did not recognize the need to clean.

Good time,good lesson.Once season is over we plan to take a full day and cast 500 bullets for the 43 Mauser,38/55,8mm for the Gew 88's.

O.S.O.K.
12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice job! Casting is "the" way to get your older/defunct cartridge guns up to speed with ammo. Also a great way to get the custom bullet that you want for a particular application. And, if you go the volume route, a great way to save on practice/plinking ammo.

And it can be as simple as a good old thick pot, a dipper (I prefer bottom pour type), camping stove and Lee $25 mold - you don't have to go fancy to start with. Oh, but do get some eye protection... and use good thick leather gloves.

You can still find free wheel weights for the time being too - as they are switching to steel and not sending the used ones in for recycling any more. But this won't last much longer...

abpt1
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
After the normal range trip.I set to casting bullets with my uncle.

This was the first time I have done any casting and I'm still learning the process.

In the pic I cast 11mm for the 43 Mauser.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Photo-0441.jpg

Looks good IDK if I like the idea of a single mold I dont have any smaller then 4 and the 6cav kicks ass ! But I think you need to flux with some bees wax a little more and try and keep your mold hot cast a few and just to get her warm then keep a even pace once that lead frosts on the bottom knock it out . and you'll be ok :thumbsup: