PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Good Idea

ltorlo64
12-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I was just reading through another thread that was talking about sight options for a defensive shotgun. I have an 870 Wingmaster with a 28" barrel that is great on birds, but a little long for home defense.

My idea is to buy a slug barrel, either 18" or 20" for use as a defensive shotgun. I have changed out the barrel on an 870 before and it is not difficult. I would gain rifle type sights that are alread on the barrel and it would shorten the length by 8-10". From Cabela's the cost of a barrel is about $150, so I am sure I can find them cheaper if I look a little bit.

So, is this a good idea or am I missing something?

Dieselbuilder
12-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I would say GO FOR IT!
I did the same thing with a Glenfield 778 I own. It is the same gun as a Marlin 120. I found a slug barrel for a Marlin 120 on the net for $25 + shipping. Got it home, removed the front sight, shortened the barrel and reinstalled the front sight.
Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Dieselbuilder/Before.jpg
Glenfield 778 12ga with field barrel.

And After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Dieselbuilder/After.jpg
Glenfield 778 with Marlin 120 slug barrel shortened to 18 3/4".

Most of the time it wears the shorter barrel, come hunting season I just swap the original barrel back on and go hunting.

filthy phil
12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I was just reading through another thread that was talking about sight options for a defensive shotgun. I have an 870 Wingmaster with a 28" barrel that is great on birds, but a little long for home defense.

My idea is to buy a slug barrel, either 18" or 20" for use as a defensive shotgun. I have changed out the barrel on an 870 before and it is not difficult. I would gain rifle type sights that are alread on the barrel and it would shorten the length by 8-10". From Cabela's the cost of a barrel is about $150, so I am sure I can find them cheaper if I look a little bit.

So, is this a good idea or am I missing something?

i'm in the same boat. bbl's are so expensive, it'd be a better deal to just find a used 870 express for $200 or less with a shorter bbl, or get one with a 28" and cut it at 18"

old Grump
12-19-2010, 04:04 PM
i'm in the same boat. bbl's are so expensive, it'd be a better deal to just find a used 870 express for $200 or less with a shorter bbl, or get one with a 28" and cut it at 18"
That's what the Mossberg is, smoothbore cut down to 18 1/2" and threaded for a choke, I have the option of slugs or shot. If you buy a slug barrel shot sucks and at home defense ranges you don't need the extra range and accuracy of a rifled barrel.

ltorlo64
12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
That's what the Mossberg is, smoothbore cut down to 18 1/2" and threaded for a choke, I have the option of slugs or shot. If you buy a slug barrel shot sucks and at home defense ranges you don't need the extra range and accuracy of a rifled barrel.

My intention would be to get a smoothbore as I expect to only use buckshot. If I decided to use some slugs, I would get the rifled ones so I don't have to worry to much about not having rifleing in the barrel.

Schuetzenman
12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes IMO it is a good idea if you want to use your 870 for home defense.

HDR
12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
If you buy a slug barrel shot sucks and at home defense ranges

At home defense ranges even my cylinder bore's pattern hasn't opened yet. Short is for maneuverability.

ltorlo64
12-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I found this at Midway. It is a modified choke with tritium sites. For the distances I am thinking about I don't think there would be much difference between a modified and an improved cylindar. It is about $165 with the tritium sites or I can get the same thing with regular sites and an improved cylindar for $145, and the barrel is only 18.5". The problem is that it will be back ordered. I can get the same basic thing at Brownell's for $180 and it is in stock. I just have to decide how quickly I want it and if I want the tritium sites.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/921/921370.jpg