PDA

View Full Version : 75th Inf

Paladin
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Anybody serve with the 75th?

btcave
07-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Assuming you mean the Ranger Regiment...

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.
Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.
Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.
Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Not me, but some of my best friends served in the 2nd Battalion.

Paladin
07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Assuming you mean the Ranger Regiment....

Well yes, I meant to include the Regiment also. However, before the 75th garnered Regimental colors, there was the 75th Battalion. The last two Ranger companies of the 75th Battalion, A & B were stood down in '74 in the creation of the 1st Battalion. I think it might have been as late as '86 before the regiment became the Regiment..

My Platoon Daddy, 3rd platoon, A/75th, Gary Carpenter, later became the 75th regiment's first CSM.

HDR
08-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I wasn't sure if you meant the 75th Ranger Regiment or the 75th Infantry Division. I had an extended in-law who served with the 75th ID in WWII in the Ardennes. So you lost me..

http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/75thinfantry/index.html

I am the same as a lot of Vets from my era; training. next Vietnam, then usually out. The clearest way to say that is although we served in a combat military we never served in the normal military. Does that make sense??

Paladin
08-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I wasn't sure if you meant the 75th Ranger Regiment or the 75th Infantry Division. I had an extended in-law who served with the 75th ID in WWII in the Ardennes. So you lost me..

http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/75thinfantry/index.html

I am the same as a lot of Vets from my era; training. next Vietnam, then usually out. The clearest way to say that is although we served in a combat military we never served in the normal military. Does that make sense??

Sure does. I forgot about the 75th ID. Weren't they reactivated a while back?

HDR
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Sure does. I forgot about the 75th ID. Weren't they reactivated a while back?

I don't know; the only reason I knew about the 75th Inf was through an in-law.

Here is what I found online:

he 75th Infantry Division was a division of the United States Army in World War II. It was also active from 1952 to 1957 as a combat division of the United States Army Organized Reserves.

In 1993, the division was reactivated as the 75th Division (Training Support) in the Army Reserve, and remains active. In January 2003, numerous units of the 75th Division (Training Support) were mobilized to train other Army Reserve and National Guard units deploying overseas in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF). Several of the division's units remain mobilized even to the present day.

From Wikipedia:

* The 75th Infantry Division arrived in Britain, November 22, 1944; headquarters having arrived on November 2 1944.

* After a brief training program, the Division landed at Le Havre and Rouen, December 13, and bivouacked at Yvetot on the 14th.

* When the Von Rundstedt offensive broke in the Ardennes, the 75th was rushed to the front and entered defensive combat, December 23, 1944, alongside the Ourthe River, advanced to the Aisne River, and entered Grandmenil, 5 January 1945.

* The Division relieved the 82d Airborne Division along the Salm River, January 8, and strengthened its defensive positions until January 17 when it attacked, taking Vielsalm and other towns in the area.

* Shifting to the Seventh Army area in Alsace—Lorraine, the 75th crossed the Colmar Canal, February 1, and took part in the liberation of Colmar and in the determined fighting between the Rhine River and the Vosges Mountains. It crossed the Marne-Rhine Canal and reached the Rhine, February 7.

* After a brief rest at Lunéville, it returned to combat, relieving the 6th British Airborne Division on a 24-mile defensive front along the Maas River, near Roermond, Holland, February 21. From 13 to March 23, the 75th patrolled a sector along the west bank of the Rhine from Wesel to Homburg, and probed enemy defenses at night.

* On March 24, elements crossed the Rhine in the wake of the 30th and 79th Divisions. Pursuance of the enemy continued as the 75th cleared the Haard Forest, April 1, crossed the Dortmund-Ems Canal on the 4th, and cleared the approaches to Dortmund, which fell to the 95th Division, April 13. After taking Herdecke, April 13, the Division moved to Braumbauer for rest and rehabilitation, then took over security and military government duties in Westphalia.

Quite a Unit History.

After a brief training program they were rushed to the Ardennes.....