PDA

View Full Version : Freezable?

NewbieAKguy
12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Local IGA store has had good deals on sugar (white, brown, & powdered) and flour the last few weeks so I got a couple/few of each. If I put them in a big enough zip-lock type back are they okay to be put into deep freeze or no?

Mark Ducati
12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
From what I've read... no need freeze sugar at all. Best to put it in a bag/O2 absorbers and its good for like 20 years or longer. BTW, Honey is supposed to be the best source of sugar to store... Honey that the Egyptians stored 2000+ years ago was still consumeable when the jars were opened. Just like gunpowder, keep it cool and dry...

NewbieAKguy
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
From what I've read... no need freeze sugar at all. Best to put it in a bag/O2 absorbers and its good for like 20 years or longer. BTW, Honey is supposed to be the best source of sugar to store... Honey that the Egyptians stored 2000+ years ago was still consumeable when the jars were opened. Just like gunpowder, keep it cool and dry...

Cool, thanks for the tips on the sugar and honey. Any tips on the flour?

Integratedj
12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Freeze the flour if you want it to go real long term.

We store most of ours in the freezer except for the bag we are currently using. I've tried some that was 3-4 years past its expiration date and it was just as good as the fresh bag was since I kept it frozen.

NewbieAKguy
12-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Freeze the flour if you want it to go real long term.

We store most of ours in the freezer except for the bag we are currently using. I've tried some that was 3-4 years past its expiration date and it was just as good as the fresh bag was since I kept it frozen.

Cool. Do u leave it in the original bag or dump it all into the freezer bag?

O.S.O.K.
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I would put it in a freezer bag and push all of the air out - or use one of the vacume sealers dealies.

And I'll second the honey. Will last practically forever. If it cristalizes, you just heat it and it comes back. Cool stuff those bees make!

JTHunter
12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
O.S.O.K. is correct in that the flour will last, if frozen. What you might want to do is put it in smaller quantities in quart size bags, then put them in a gallon bag, getting as much air out of all of them as you go.
With regards to honey; much as I like it, as I was a Bio. major in college I still can't get it out of my head that honey is bee vomit! :bee::dizzy:

Integratedj
12-24-2010, 08:29 AM
We just stick the entire unopened bag of flour inside of a normal grocery bag, and then put it into the freezer. Haven't had a single problem with any of it.
We opened one up last month that was around 8 years old and it was perfectly fine.

NewbieAKguy
12-24-2010, 09:56 PM
We just stick the entire unopened bag of flour inside of a normal grocery bag, and then put it into the freezer. Haven't had a single problem with any of it.
We opened one up last month that was around 8 years old and it was perfectly fine.

That looks like a nice n simle plan. Will do that during next days off.

Integratedj
12-25-2010, 10:19 AM
That looks like a nice n simle plan. Will do that during next days off.

Some of the bags seem sturdy enough on their own, but after just talking about it with my wife, we are going to pull them all back out and wrap them in bigger plastic bags to keep the frost (And therefore moisture) off of the flour bags.