PDA

View Full Version : Checking back in...

jt1793
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
... to see how the community is doing after coming back to life.

I was a member back before (didn't post very often) but will reintroduce myself.

I study/work at Purdue in W. Lafayette, IN and am involved in the schools of nuclear engineering and electrical/computer engineering. My gun interests mainly involve AK's, but I do enjoy owning/shooting some of the other families/platforms of firearms. Some of my non-gun interests involve nuclear nonproliferation efforts, running/jogging, guitar, and mountaineering/rock climbing.

It's good to see a lot of familiar posters from before. I'm glad to see the community is back online and look forward to reading the forums and contributing occasionally.

Cheers, TJ

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~tsurma/arsenal_small

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Howdy, TJ. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hits the range when there's snow on the ground.

Full Otto
12-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm an hour north of you. My daughters a freshman down there. Where's that range? 22lr?

aliceinchains
12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for checking back in. Now you need to post more.

Tx Dogblaster
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Welcome back!:biggrina:

matshock
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Welcome back!

We're got a major troll problem right now- my guess is many competing websites and left wing sites didn't expect GN to come back as much as it has and are trying to drive it away again.

But we're still having some fun.

Integratedj
12-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Welcome back, now SBR that bitch already.

AKTexas
12-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome back...I would not call it a troll problem.More like a case of VD that needs treatment.

TheMrMitch
12-22-2010, 10:59 PM
What? I ain't done nothing wrong!:hurt:

HehHeh welcome back.

imanaknut
12-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Great to see you back !!!!!!!

I used to go out in the snow, which lately in Indiana is from Dec 1 thru mid March. Actually don't mind the snow, but the fact we have been more than 10 degrees below normal and windy doesn't help my desire to hit the range.

Anyway, welcome back young friend!

insider
12-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Where you been?

Mark Ducati
12-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Nice to see you back again :)

slamfire51
12-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Glad you're back JT.
Welcome home!!

Gunner1558
12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Howdy! Welcome home.

jt1793
12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm an hour north of you. My daughters a freshman down there. Where's that range? 22lr?

I grew up in NW Indiana: Hammond/Munster. Your daughter chose well with Purdue. A weird thing that I have found over the years is that the farther you get away from Purdue the more respected the name is. Outside of IN, people often think it's Ivy League for some reason...

The range in the picture is Willow Slough, a department of natural resources range.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3080.htm

arial view on google maps (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2042+S+500+W+Morocco,+IN&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.310476,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2042+S+500+W,+Morocco,+Newton,+Indiana+47963&ll=41.022869,-87.50399&spn=0.005779,0.009645&t=h&z=17)

If I remember correctly, they have 50 yards rifle, 100 yards rifle, 200 yards rifle, 25 yards pistol/rifle, and an area for shooting bows and an area for trap shooting.

Because it's a DNR range, it's free. The downside is that there are a few strictly followed rules (e.g. no rapid fire, only paper targets, limited hours of operation...)

Great to see you back !!!!!!!

I used to go out in the snow, which lately in Indiana is from Dec 1 thru mid March. Actually don't mind the snow, but the fact we have been more than 10 degrees below normal and windy doesn't help my desire to hit the range.

Anyway, welcome back young friend!

Thanks aknut. Do you still make it to the 1500 shows regularly? I haven't been for quite some time, but I'm going to make an effort to start making it to them again.

Welcome back, now SBR that bitch already.

I have been really wanting to for a long, long time! :thguns:

Howdy, TJ. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hits the range when there's snow on the ground.

The best time to go to a public outdoor range is when there is a -15 degree wind chill factor. You usually get the whole place to yourself!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome back. I hope everyone's holiday season is off to a good start.

Cheers, TJ

Full Otto
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I grew up in NW Indiana: Hammond/Munster. Your daughter chose well with Purdue. A weird thing that I have found over the years is that the farther you get away from Purdue the more respected the name is. Outside of IN, people often think it's Ivy League for some reason...

The range in the picture is Willow Slough, a department of natural resources range.

I know it pretty well never shot there but did some fishing years ago mostly just sight see there these days. I was raised in Hammond and now live about 15 miles due east of the slough. Do my shooting on the farm I live on over near Fair Oaks Dairy.

I hadn't realized that about Purdue either till my attorney was telling me how people from all over the world are trying to get in there and for her to get in from a little bugtussle town like ours was nothing to be sneezed at. Her roommate is from China

imanaknut
12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks aknut. Do you still make it to the 1500 shows regularly? I haven't been for quite some time, but I'm going to make an effort to start making it to them again.

I have been really wanting to for a long, long time! :thguns:

Cheers, TJ

Have only been to the 1500 a couple of times since my daughter started college. Not the same not going there with her. She is now working on a PhD and only makes it home now and then, but when she does range trips are manditory!

With any luck we might be able to get together for a good time at a range. But after the weather gets a bit warmer! :D

Schuetzenman
12-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome back to Gunsnet. Was your handle the same from the old web site. Nice AK in the photo. I crys out SBR me!

jt1793
12-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Welcome back to Gunsnet. Was your handle the same from the old web site. Nice AK in the photo. I crys out SBR me!

If I recall correctly, this is the same handle that I used before.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

MDE
12-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Merry Christmas and welcome back jt.

Mike

AK again
12-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Welcome back!

We're got a major troll problem right now- my guess is many competing websites and left wing sites didn't expect GN to come back as much as it has and are trying to drive it away again.

But we're still having some fun.

When has GN NOT had a troll problem? Maser, Ferd, et. al., all from before the rebirth, so to speak ...

matshock
12-26-2010, 12:24 AM
When has GN NOT had a troll problem? Maser, Ferd, et. al., all from before the rebirth, so to speak ...

Hey I though Ferd was funny.

:boozer: