I need a bipod for my quadrail.

Any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward this Harris model.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBLS.html

Opinions wanted.

Rage

RJ Shooter
07-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I've only used Harris, and have never had any problems with them. They're just not as "TACTICOOL" as all the other new ones...

Broondog
07-24-2010, 11:23 PM
i've got a Harris on my PSL and i like it. but since it's my only bipod i don't have much of a reference point.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I have a Grip-Pod on my AK...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/scan0007.jpg

and a Harris on my Savage...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/scan0003-1.jpg

I LOVE the grip pod.

But to be honest, one of the cheap versions of the Harris was already on my rifle when I bought it.
I have the version with no leg notches and I HATE it.
I'm not happy with how much it wobbles around either.
The stupid Grip-Pod is actually more stable!

So...I'm looking for an upgrade too.
Hope this thread goes well...

American Rage
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for somethat that swivels and cants.

Not a fan of the springs on a Harris, also hate how they fold forward.

Finally, I told want to pay an arm and a leg.

Rage

Broondog
07-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm looking for somethat that swivels and cants.

Not a fan of the springs on a Harris, also hate how they fold forward.

Finally, I told want to pay an arm and a leg.

Rage

uhhh, my Harris folds rearward because.......

wait for it........

i turned it around!

:biggrina:

American Rage
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone want to tell me why some fold their bipods forward?

Rage

RJ Shooter
07-25-2010, 03:00 PM

RageSo you have a place to put your hand! ;)

...seriously.

You can make a Harris point either way...

Partisan1983
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Besides for factory bipods....a Harris is the only after market bipod I own.

It tilts and cants....and have never had any problems using it on a .270 Savage or my CETME.

I think my brother is using it now on a M1A. :gruebel:

AKTexas
07-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Another vote for the Harris but I have used the Versa-pods as well.Both a very good products.

NextGen
07-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I think my brother is using it now on a M1A. :gruebel:

Nope. I really don't see the need of installing it (wouldnt know how even if I wanted too). Seems like it would be more stable using it off of a rest or something. That and it would just be adding more weight.

Starvin
07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
The swivel Harris with notched legs and a pod lock is a great choice for the price. It's worth noteing the Brits binned the more expensive AI bipod in favor of the Harris when switching from the L96 to L115 (this isn't 100% some photos still show the AI in use but most seem to be sporting the Harris).

I'd love to try out the Atlas too, it's well liked but I can't comment on it extensivly since I've not used it, and it's moving into a pricepoint you probably aren't interested in.

You fold the legs forward so when you load (lean into) the bipod the legs don't fold up on you. You can fold the AI (and thus I assume versapod) legs either way because of the way it braces when loaded but as RJ pointed out, most folks want room to put their hands for carry and would rather have the legs extending over the barrel area than over the handguard area.

Bluedog
07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I have the Harris you are looking at, and a grip-pod. I always use the grip pod. Sure, the Harris is adjustable, but there really is only one practical height for an AR bi-pod.

hi_capacity
07-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Without a doubt and never looking back...Harris is the way to go. Depending on how you intend to use the weapon in question, you may want to consider the 6" to 9" model.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
I have the Harris you are looking at, and a grip-pod. I always use the grip pod. Sure, the Harris is adjustable, but there really is only one practical height for an AR bi-pod.

So you have a Grip-Pod too?
They are pretty handy and dual-purpose too.
Since you only use your G-P, I'm assuming you really like it too.

I can't see using it on my Savage however.
But man it's sweet on my AK.
Gives you a very tough vertical grip...and then at the press of a button, the legs pop out for a bi-pod that is the perfect height for prone shooting.
In Run-n-Gun situations, it's lighter and 90% faster than unfolding the legs of a standard bi-pod.

I'm a big fan of the G-P.
Had one on my M4 in the army too...
:thumbsup:

American Rage
07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
The swivel Harris with notched legs and a pod lock is a great choice for the price. It's worth noteing the Brits binned the more expensive AI bipod in favor of the Harris when switching from the L96 to L115 (this isn't 100% some photos still show the AI in use but most seem to be sporting the Harris).

I'd love to try out the Atlas too, it's well liked but I can't comment on it extensivly since I've not used it, and it's moving into a pricepoint you probably aren't interested in.

You fold the legs forward so when you load (lean into) the bipod the legs don't fold up on you. You can fold the AI (and thus I assume versapod) legs either way because of the way it braces when loaded but as RJ pointed out, most folks want room to put their hands for carry and would rather have the legs extending over the barrel area than over the handguard area.

Thanks Starvin.

Rage

American Rage
07-25-2010, 08:16 PM

I really don't like the way the grip pod looks. However, if I was better educated on them, I might change my mind.

Rage

American Rage
07-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Without a doubt and never looking back...Harris is the way to go. Depending on how you intend to use the weapon in question, you may want to consider the 6" to 9" model.

I was thinking 9-13" model. Seems like the 6 inch model would be a bit low. Again, I could be wrong.

Rage

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I was thinking 9-13" model. Seems like the 6 inch model would be a bit low. Again, I could be wrong.

Rage

I have the 9-13 on mine.
It's good for prone and bench.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I really don't like the way the grip pod looks. However, if I was better educated on them, I might change my mind.

Rage

Function first. Then looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCkFDL1PU8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU1jECFa1OE&feature=related

ready
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I was always curious about those but I've known anyone to actually own one. Maybe I'll grab one up.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I was always curious about those but I've known anyone to actually own one. Maybe I'll grab one up.

They come in two versions.
One plastic and the other all aluminum.
You don't need the heavier metal one unless you are placing it on a heavy machine gun or something.

http://www.grippod.com/

They may look a lil strange at first, but they are a great piece of equipment.
Mine has a permanent home on my AK.
It's not going anywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/4da1b765.jpg

ready
07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I've been using the Tango Down QD ones but they don't have a freakin' bipod on 'em.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I've been using the Tango Down QD ones but they don't have a freakin' bipod on 'em.

The Tango Down stuff is pretty good.
But the 2-in-1 versatility of the Grip-Pod is very hard to beat.
True it's kinda ugly, but when you hit the prone position and suddenly your rifle is 90% more stable at the push of a button...you'll forget all about Tango Down.

RJ Shooter
07-25-2010, 11:58 PM
I'd buy a GripPod if they weren't so large. That's the only reason I've never bought one.

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd buy a GripPod if they weren't so large. That's the only reason I've never bought one.

That's what "she" said...

RJ Shooter
07-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Rotflmao!

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Rotflmao!

:coffee:

Bluedog
07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

YOu get used to it, and it's less obtrusivew than a VFG and a seperate bi-pod.

American Rage
07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, as of now, I'm still leaning toward the Harris. One of the reason I want it is to help sight in my optics to the utmost of their ability, whatever they may be. Once zeroed to their most efficient performance possible due to my own limitation, I could see myself ditching the bipod all together. Also, where I like to keep my bipod is no where near where I like to keep my forward grip.

OTOH, I have another carbine that the grip pod would be perfect for; should I ever decide to put a forward grip on it.

I will investigate the other bipods before buying the Harris. Perhaps I will like one of them better. But for now, I'm thinkin' Harris is the way to go.

Again, I probably won't order it for another month. So, I'll have plenty of time to research.

Thanks to all who answered.

Rage

JoshD522
07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Rage

The instructions say to install the bipod so that it folds forward. I was in WY in early June shooting prairie dogs. We did most of it laying prone with bipods. With the Harris bi-pod mounted to fold forward, you can dig the feet in a little and push the gun forward with your shoulder to get a really tight solid grip on the rifle with little movement. If the bi-pod were mounted to fold rearward, it would just fold in when you did this.

RJ Shooter
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
The instructions say to install the bipod so that it folds forward. I was in WY in early June shooting prairie dogs. We did most of it laying prone with bipods. With the Harris bi-pod mounted to fold forward, you can dig the feet in a little and push the gun forward with your shoulder to get a really tight solid grip on the rifle with little movement. If the bi-pod were mounted to fold rearward, it would just fold in when you did this.Excellent point on your very first post! ;)

L1A1Rocker
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/wjklein1099/Picture035-1.jpg

Please forgive this minor hyjack, but what kind of handguard is that?

American Rage
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Please forgive this minor hyjack, but what kind of handguard is that?

Are you talking about the quadrail or the bipod? I ask b/c I don't see any handguard at all, just a quadrail with bipod attached.

Rage

RJ Shooter
07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Are you talking about the quadrail or the bipod? I ask b/c I don't see any handguard at all, just a quadrail with bipod attached.

RageA quad-rail is guarding you hand from the barrel, so, it is a hanguard and an integral part of the entire stockset...;)

American Rage
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
A quad-rail is guarding you hand from the barrel, so, it is a hanguard and an integral part of the entire stockset...;)

Yes, but my quadrail came with these little slip-on pads that act as 'handguards' b/c the metal quadrail can be a bit uncomfy, especially when firing in the summer. Frankly, I'm confused as to what L1A1 is asking.

Rage

RJ Shooter
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Those are actually "Rail Protectors" or "Rail Covers" or "Rail Panels."

I'm not sure why it's so confusing. He's wanting to know how makes your free float handguard!!! Or, if you need it more simplified, your RAIL SYSTEM. ;) :p

ready
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
It's a rifle length Midwest Industries T12 free floating handguard.

JoshD522
07-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Excellent point on your very first post! ;)

Thanks! It is really my first post since the site came back up. I had bookmarked the forums page of the old site. That URL doesn't work on the new site. The other night, I just decided to try deleting everything after gunsnet.net and found this new site!

As I mentioned, I have the Harris bipod in 9-13" with leg notches. It works great for shooting prone. I'm glad I got the leg notches. I have no complaints with this bipod. My friend has had one just like it and highly recommended it. I have it on a Rem. 700 in .308.

L1A1Rocker
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
It's a rifle length Midwest Industries T12 free floating handguard.

Thanks. I've got a Midwest too but it looks very different from the front. It is a take apart design that has a block on the end that everything screws down to. Guess they changed the design, I like yours much better!

L1A1Rocker
07-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Rage

The quadrail.

DesertDawg
07-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I just use my mag...

HDR
07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
So you have a place to put your hand! ;)

They get tangled in brush better?

...seriously.

You can make a Harris point either way...

Nope, some guy at the range told me I had mine on backwards..

:lool:

Rage,
They mount either way; at least mine does.

RJ Shooter
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
They get tangled in brush better?Just like the old 3-prong hiders on the early M16s. But notice all the 3 & 4-prong, open faced flash hiders out there now! :p

swampdragon
07-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I just use my mag...

I used to do that too!
Cheater....
lol

HDR
07-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Because they need sort of a jack of all trades watching what the military does is usually helpful.

I knew why some set theirs to fold forwards; yet the M240 Mag 58 etc fold rewards.

To be honest I prefer bags to a bipod. lol

gpwasr10
07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I just bought a UTG GSG-5 Bipod... I'll let you guys know if it is decent when it gets here, but I have had good luck with leapers in the past.

l921428x
07-30-2010, 04:57 AM
I always folded my bipod forward to keep the stress of the recoil off the forend of the stock. As I have been led to believe, that it will buffer some of the recoil in the flex of the legs True, False, urban legend. pure BS, some merit?
I have a Harris on my Savage.

HDR
07-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Just like the old 3-prong hiders on the early M16s. But notice all the 3 & 4-prong, open faced flash hiders out there now! :p

Nope, they got tangled in the wire; hopefully today people will be smarter or the military quit using wire on the MRE cases. lol