PDA

View Full Version : Brass tumbler recommendations.

NewbieAKguy
12-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Well I didn't score any reloading components for Christmas, except a jug of powder, so my next step is going to be a tumbler. I've read through the tumbler media thread already and so now I could use some suggestions on tumblers....best value for the price. TIA.

abpt1
12-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I been looking to test one of these out once one of mine die ...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

El Laton Caliente
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Sportsmans Guide has a kit if you need the whole nine yards...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=408005

I don't have this one, mine is older and a different brand.

docjonsn
12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I have one of the harborfright tumblers. It works well, the only problem I have is the threaded rod that comes up through the topgets wornout.
the wingnut works lose ands buggers up the threads. I have had to replace it 3 times now. not hard to do but a pain in the a$$.
still for the price you cant go wrong.

Pete.

deputyvaughn
12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Try Midsouth shooters supply. Best price for a tumbler that I've seen in a while.

O.S.O.K.
12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I got a Thumler's Tumbler for Christmas :)

It's a rubber tubmling container that sits on a little motorized base that rotates it.

They are intended primarily for rock polishing but work great for cleaning your brass.

I have spherical ceramic polishing media (2mm) that will work great in this. This stuff can be used with flitz or other polishing compounds and can be cleaned and re-used.

I got the Model A:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ma/mamon/THU120.jpg

NewbieAKguy
12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I got a Thumler's Tumbler for Christmas :)

It's a rubber tubmling container that sits on a little motorized base that rotates it.

They are intended primarily for rock polishing but work great for cleaning your brass.

I have spherical ceramic polishing media (2mm) that will work great in this. This stuff can be used with flitz or other polishing compounds and can be cleaned and re-used.

I got the Model A:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ma/mamon/THU120.jpg

That looks pretty slick, but more than I want to pay right now. ELC's link might be my best deal at the moment, but I'll check everyone's suggestions first before making my decision.

GunBum
12-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a Lyman vibratory cleaner that I picked up at a garage sale for $25. I figure when I dies, I'll get another. It's been serving my reloading needs for about 20 years, and who knows how long before that.

NewbieAKguy
12-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Went ahead and ordered the kit from Sportsman's Guide. Thanks ELC for the tip. It's Frankford Arsenal brand, which I've seen in the Dillon catalog so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. Can't wait to start tumbling all the brass I've been collecting!! :bigsmilebounce:. Is it weird I'm excited about that? LOL

NewbieAKguy
12-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Woohoo! Santa in the brown box-van showed up and dropped off the tumbler kit. Didn't have time to open the box before heading to work. Might be doing some tumbling this weekend.

aliceinchains
12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Woohoo! Santa in the brown box-van showed up and dropped off the tumbler kit. Didn't have time to open the box before heading to work. Might be doing some tumbling this weekend.

Well i would like to hear some feed back when you get a chance. And congrats on your tumbler kit.

NewbieAKguy
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Well i would like to hear some feed back when you get a chance. And congrats on your tumbler kit.

Will do, and pics can be posted if anyone interested in seeing the kit.

aliceinchains
12-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Will do, and pics can be posted if anyone interested in seeing the kit.

Hey we want to see dirty brass VS what comes out of your new machine.

shotdown61
12-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I own one of these and seems to do a great job and best of all,it isnt that loud at all.Worth the money.
Sportsmans Guide has a kit if you need the whole nine yards...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=408005

I don't have this one, mine is older and a different brand.

shotdown61
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
I found what works best for this problem is cut a plastic straw to mate up with the cover and slide it over the shaft.Thats what I use and you dont get that awful noise from the brass smacking it.Can also use a rubber hose to slide down over it.Try it, it works.
I have one of the harborfright tumblers. It works well, the only problem I have is the threaded rod that comes up through the topgets wornout.
the wingnut works lose ands buggers up the threads. I have had to replace it 3 times now. not hard to do but a pain in the a$$.
still for the price you cant go wrong.

Pete.

NewbieAKguy
12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey we want to see dirty brass VS what comes out of your new machine.

Will do.

NewbieAKguy
01-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Well I tumbled some 9mm brass a few days ago. They weren't really dirty to begin with so I couldn't really tell a difference after an hour's worth of tumbling...pics will be added later.

So here's another question: On average, how long do you tumble brass? I know the dirtier the longer, but is there a starting out time you begin with? The instructions said start with an hour.