PDA

View Full Version : Using a Lee Loader (video)

awp101
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I think I've still got one of these (.45-70 IIRC) but never used it. Might be worth looking at again if I get another .45-70...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwr0FyJOk-4

O.S.O.K.
12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's one for .270 Winchester :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmMw4aCH3o

GunBum
12-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I learned to hate the Lee loader when I was in the Army. Didn't have room for a real setup, and had stuff that needed reloads to shoot. Beating that bastard with a mallet all day keeps you out of trouble, but it is a royal pain in the ass. Makes damned good reloads though.

I still use the 12ga version to make my slug and buckshot loads.

hawk1911
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
..........I still use the 12ga version to make my slug and buckshot loads. Just the thing I needed to know.

Im interested in starting to reload and these vids have really sparked my intrest since it doesnt look like a lot of equipment to get started. Specifically interested in 12ga to make my own loads out of once fired shells that I have been collecting. But later i would definately like to get some for the higher cost rounds as well.

O.S.O.K.
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Just the thing I needed to know.

Im interested in starting to reload and these vids have really sparked my intrest since it doesnt look like a lot of equipment to get started. Specifically interested in 12ga to make my own loads out of once fired shells that I have been collecting. But later i would definately like to get some for the higher cost rounds as well.

Great! Just made the post worthwhile :)

sksAL
12-30-2010, 02:51 PM
i have 5, 2 10 ga, and 3 12 ga. makes great hand loads with slug and buck. you can find them on ebay and gunbroker, a good 12ga example can be had for $30 or so. make sure the load chart comes with it. i see them at gun shows too, and buy them up if reasonable. all the other calibers are items too if you have the gun, the loader is a handy thing - making ammo is in the top 3 on my list of preps. for the $2-$300 ive spent in reloading stuff i could sustain for years! MEC 600jr used is like $50 -$70 too 12 or 20ga, and one heck of a deal. the lee load all , a new production shotshell reloader is better than alot say it is.ive 2 and they work great. the shot will be the biggest expense, if you look around it can be had cheap.i found 50lbs of 00 for $120 a while back, thats a many years of buckshot alone.

hawk1911
12-30-2010, 11:44 PM
i have 5, 2 10 ga, and 3 12 ga. makes great hand loads with slug and buck. you can find them on ebay and gunbroker, a good 12ga example can be had for $30 or so. make sure the load chart comes with it. i see them at gun shows too, and buy them up if reasonable. all the other calibers are items too if you have the gun, the loader is a handy thing - making ammo is in the top 3 on my list of preps. for the $2-$300 ive spent in reloading stuff i could sustain for years! MEC 600jr used is like $50 -$70 too 12 or 20ga, and one heck of a deal. the lee load all , a new production shotshell reloader is better than alot say it is.ive 2 and they work great. the shot will be the biggest expense, if you look around it can be had cheap.i found 50lbs of 00 for $120 a while back, thats a many years of buckshot alone.

I have been looking real hard at the Lee load all real hard. I think Im first going to buy some loading books to ensure I dont blow my gun and/or face up. Then follow the instructions. That way I can also get up on the terminology, because that first part that I bolded, I dint understand. But I will.

NewbieAKguy
12-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Nice n simple, but man that must take forever to get a decent amount done!

aliceinchains
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
I load for the 45 -70 and RCBS is just fine.

shotdown61
12-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Might as well just buy a single press.Because after about an hour of that you will want one anyway.
Just like my single press and stepping up to a Dillon 550b.500 to 600 rounds in an hour will beat the hell out of all that hammering!

O.S.O.K.
01-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Some folks are only looking to load for hunting and don't need to load but every other year or so. This is perfect for that application.

It is also a good way to try before you buy. It comes literally with everything you need exept for the components, safety glasses and hammer to load good ammo.

Very limited and yes, slow, but if you're only wanting two boxes of reloads and that lasts for a long time, then this is the rig for you.

It's also the perfect thing for a traveler or somebody with very limited space.

awp101
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
It's also the perfect thing for a traveler or somebody with very limited space.
Or someone who wants to experiment while at the range.

sksAL
02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
sorry, havent been over here for a while. as for the lee-loadAll, i bought my 2 local used, 50# of shot, bags of wads, few 100 primers, like 500 20 +12 killer hulls in dif flavors, and 4 dif cans of powders that were 3/4 full...$60. went home and got it on. just do it, look on your local craigslist and at the gun store. reload stuff is out there, and like i said, for what ive spent im way all set.even to start shooting trap on a regular basis, but thats not what i had in mind. i like the ability to make my own ammo and next im gonna get a press and dies for handgun and rifle ammo. the shotgun aspect is absolutely fantastic. i picked up 1600 win AA hulls for $10 a while back, u tell me. NOW... the lee-loader is the hand kit, and i have those too. its not as slow loading as one may think. i knock out 30 rnds easy just sitting at the kit table for an hour or 2. not rushing, 00 buck and #2 shot or slugs. you almost have to have a lee hand kit to make these yourself. get a rubber mallet and get to banging out shells.