PDA

View Full Version : Information in the post internet world...

chiak47
07-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a 300gb external HD that I am filling with all sorts of info pertaining to survival. I can use my generator or car battery to charge the batteries in my laptop as long as I have ..
1. Gas for the generator
2. Car batteries that are still good
3. I have plans to build a small wind generator
4. Good laptop batteries

Here is what I have saved on it thus far...

This link has 500 military manuals in .PDF format. I have downloaded a good portion of them.
http://www.survivalebooks.com/usmilitarymanuals.html

google earth with 2gbs of my AO cached
http://earth.google.com/

I also have countless amounts of info pertaining to edible food in my AO along with recipes that have nothing but obtainable ingredients.

Also...
I keep alot of info in binders as far as homesteading information goes.
I bought a refurbished HP4050 industrial laser printer with a duplexer and honestly I can get 15,000+ pages off one $30 toner.

And...
I have a library full of books that I have bought over the years that will serve a big void when the net goes down.

FWIW...
It will be difficult to have a question and not having google to answer it for me...

What "info" are you guys stockpiling?

chiak47
07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Here are some great PDF's containing medical information.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-seafarer_information/mcga-dqs_st_shs_seafarer_information-medical/mcga-dqs_st_shs_ships_capt_medical_guide.htm

Batwing
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
FWIW...
It will be difficult to have a question and not having google to answer it for me...

What "info" are you guys stockpiling?

Books,lots of books,you may have a working PC but whatevr is on the other end may not be there,sure you can keep alot of info offline on it,but books are a good backup,,they worked for centuries,no reason why they can'r now

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Chiak47,

Everything you are doing is great...so don't let me discourage you.
However....hard copies don't need power to function.
In the future, I'd also suggest you think about printing stuff out and weather-proofing it.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Books,lots of books,you may have a working PC but whatevr is on the other end may not be there,sure you can keep alot of info offline on it,but books are a good backup,,they worked for centuries,no reason why they can'r now

Agreed.

chiak47
07-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Chiak47,

In the future, I'd also suggest you think about printing stuff out and weather-proofing it.

I typed above that I did print off alot of stuff. I have binders with literally 1000's of pages worth of info pertaining to homesteading. None of it is waterproofed but maybe a big rubbermaid tote will work.

As far as books go...I buy what I can but damn $10 used books add up in money and space.

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I typed above that I did print off alot of stuff. I have binders with literally 1000's of pages worth of info pertaining to homesteading. None of it is waterproofed but maybe a big rubbermaid tote will work.

As far as books go...I buy what I can but damn $10 used books add up in money and space.

I was talking about printing some of the PDF Field Manuals you have.

HDR
07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Good idea.

Maps work better when you can carry them with you. ;)

NAPOTS
07-26-2010, 07:59 AM
What about Solar?

Don't need gasoline and as long as the sun is shining you'll have power.

If the sun stops shining you have bigger problems.

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the links.

And it can get downright rediculous when you start looking at all of the equipment needed for true off-the-grid survival.

One must prioritize. At least this one must...

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
It's always a good idea to carry a water-proof baggy or something full of extra grid squares with you too.

DesertDawg
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Chiak47,

I know you have seen the write in the rain books, well they make copy paper now...

chiak47
07-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Are those write in the rain books expensive? Is it a grease pencil that they use?