PDA

View Full Version : How do these rate?

NewbieAKguy
07-25-2010, 02:42 AM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct891.aspx

I really like the thought of a compact package with the side-folder or underfolder. Since the underfolders will have a little bit of play in the stock, how do these metal side folders hold up/feel? Not a fan of arsenal's other side folders due to the knob to fold the stock sticking out of the stock....seems like it can be bothersome when shouldering it.

Still trying to decide on first AK and since old threads aren't added yet, figured I'd go ahead and get some info/opinions for the non-newbieAKguys :D.

slamfire51
07-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Not a newbie to AK's but haven't owned that type folder or the "crutch" version.
The Romanian side folder felt the best to me out of all the others I've had.
The AMD-65 folder is at the bottom of the list, IMO.

NewbieAKguy
07-26-2010, 03:15 AM
The "crutch" version you mention the one on AMD's? Ya, don't like that at all. What does Romanian side folder have?

Just googled it, same wire stock as AMD.

slamfire51
07-26-2010, 06:26 AM
The "crutch" version you mention the one on AMD's? Ya, don't like that at all. What does Romanian side folder have?

Just googled it, same wire stock as AMD.

Nope.
Here's the one I'm referring to.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/crutch.png

This is a Romanian. There are 2 versions, button release and lever release.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/romanian.jpg

NewbieAKguy
07-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. How do they feel on the cheek when firing?

slamfire51
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
THE Romanian is not too bad.
Haven't tried the other.

MOP
08-20-2010, 01:52 AM
The triangular folder is very solid, and easy to operate.

The Russian came out with an improved version, with

the same folding-design on their AK-100 series.

That folder is also on the SLR-106FR from Bulgaria.

Partisan1983
08-21-2010, 07:22 AM
The triangular folder is very solid, and easy to operate.

The Russian came out with an improved version, with

the same folding-design on their AK-100 series.

That folder is also on the SLR-106FR from Bulgaria.

+1

The triangle side folder metal stock (or in it's place full stock) feel the best IMHO.

Though as with all metal stocks, they sure can get cold as hell in winter ;)

Bluedog
08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
There is another difference in the Romanians, Besides the Lock. The lever lock version has the stock arm centered. The button version has it offset to the left, to give right handed shooters a better cheek weld. It probably does, but for lefties like me, it sucks. All left handed shooters should avoid the Romanian push button type stock.

GringoLoco
08-30-2010, 12:36 AM
I've owned several different types of AKs with several different types of stocks (except the AMD and the "crutch" style). In my opinion, the most comfortable stock (aside from the fixed stock) is the Solid Side Folder. The type on the AK-74M and AK-100 series rifles. The release button that protrudes out the rear of the stock is not felt while shooting. And I had this style stock on all three different caliber AKs (7.62x39, 5.45x39, and a 5.56x45). The next most comfortable folding stock is the Triangle Folder. I currently have two Krinks in 5.45x39 with that style stock and absolutely love them.

smittylite
08-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Nope.
Here's the one I'm referring to.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/crutch.png

This one is actually Egyptian, was the only folder on a Maadi

This is a Romanian. There are 2 versions, button release and lever release.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/romanian.jpg

The lever version of this one is East German, the button version is Romanian.

slamfire51
09-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Your correction is appreciated.
Memory lapse on my part.

Lysander
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct891.aspxside folders hold up/feel? Not a fan of arsenal's other side folders due to the knob to fold the stock sticking out of the stock....seems like it can be bothersome when shouldering it.

Dude, the "nob" is spring loaded and goes in as soon as you shoulder the weapon (though honestly, you should only be tucking the toe of the stock into your shoulder anyway). Not an issue at all. In fact, I like the -100 style polymer folders the best out of all folding stock options.

smittylite
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Your correction is appreciated.
Memory lapse on my part.

No problem. For the longest time I had the Romanian version on my EG clone until a friend of mine told me the same. I find either version of those wire stocks to be comfortable when shooting with irons. With optics however, I don't like either.

ATAK, Inc.
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Dude, the "nob" is spring loaded and goes in as soon as you shoulder the weapon (though honestly, you should only be tucking the toe of the stock into your shoulder anyway). Not an issue at all. In fact, I like the -100 style polymer folders the best out of all folding stock options.

+1

I converted my SAR-1 to a left folder and am getting ready to order the receiver to build a Bulgy -74 left folder. I have both the skeleton and solid stocks, like em both!

Bluedog
09-24-2010, 11:59 PM

There are two versions of the Romi side folder. The push-button, and a lever style that works just like the EG version. The way to tell the romi and EG lever folders apart is that the EG is held in place by the tang screws, and the pistol grip screw passes through an extention of the mounting block. The EG varient is very rare. If anyone has a lever side folder, and the pistol grip screw does not pass though the mounting block, it is Romainian, not EG.

mattg
08-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Pretty late to the party here but for what it's worth... I have an under folder that suits me just fine. It looks like it wouldn't be comfortable at all but darn if it isn't. I love the thing. Sure, there's a little bit of play in the stock but as far as shooting it, I can't see what the problem is. As soon as you shoulder it, you can't tell there's any play and when you fire it, the gun kicks anyway. As far as durability, you'd have to be really violent with it to damage it.

I guess if I was going into combat, I'd pick the side folder over the under folder, if not a solid stock of course.

tcallre
12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I have an Arsenal solid side folder and it's one of the best, most solid folders available. I've heard the crutch versions are very good and the rifle in question should be outstanding if for no other reason it comes from Arsenal.