PDA

View Full Version : Flint knapping?

awp101
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Arcangel's thread on knapping an arrowhead rekindled an interest in blade knapping. I got interested in blade knapping last year but never took it any further than digging around the internet looking for kits, etc.

Anyone here ever done it? Suggestions on any of the kits out there?

AKTexas
12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a huge chunk of flint I picked up on the deer lease.I have been thinking about trying to knock some chunks off you play with.

arcangel
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Dude if your just getting into it, try it with needle nose pliers and flat head screwdriver then move up to stone to stone knapping. It'll save some time and heart ach. I dont know about the kits, never used them. Just take your time if you do start. You'll see and feel how the stone wants to be knapped, look for cracks, or stress lines and go for those first, it usually takes most of the weight off the stone. You can also use an old file to grind when the knapping gets difficult. And it can make some saw blade effects for the broad head. Also check out some vids on youtube to get an idea, helped me a bunch. Good luck man. Godbless...

cevulirn
12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Be VERY careful when knapping flint, and plan on getting cut. Freshly knapped flint is VERY sharp! That said, I'd dive right in if I just had some flint to whack.

arcangel
12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah expect to get cut up. Try obsidian man, that shit is razor sharp.

Zygomatic
12-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah expect to get cut up. Try obsidian man, that shit is razor sharp.

Actually it's quite a bit sharper than a razor.

Darrell
12-31-2010, 01:20 AM
This is the method I am familiar with. But I learned with different sized deer antlers. (just the ends) Or you can use a simple section of copper tubing if you don't have a lot of extra deer antlers laying around to cut up.

3/8ths. should work about six or eight inches long. Smash the ends together with a hammer and or a vise and you have a knapping tool.

Just mash about a 1/4 inch of both ends. So simple it's stupid.(the tool part I mean) The knapping part is tough to learn. Or it was for me anyway.

Check out some of these videos and you can see alot of different techniques . I don't have what it takes to explain over the internet very well but these videos show some good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRynmC9I_s&feature=player_detailpage

Darrell
12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Also, I should add that it would be a good idea to wear leather gloves and safety glasses. You will get cut and bruised. Just part of it. Those heal.

But you loose an eye and well that's that. I know our ancestors didn't have them but why not use them now?

Not trying to preach. Just please be safe.

Integratedj
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
For you guys that don't have natural flint or obsidian around you, you can use the bottom of a glass bottle to practice on. There are plenty of youtube vids showing you how. Kind of cool as I'd never thought of glass before.

arcangel
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Glass is cool when you involve different colours, and is found just about everywhere. 1+ on the safety goggles as well, forgot to mention that.

awp101
01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I have some kick ass Kevlar-ish work glove that will help. Thanks!:bigsmilebounce: